Sloppy Funk

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
What tracks do you think of when you think of sloppy funk? For me, it's Ebony Rhythm Band track "vanilla fudge". I can't believe they didn't do a second take, that guitar is way off.

Comments

• TMGs - The Hatch
    Steve Colt - Dynamite

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band...in general. Even though they were all working session musicians, it's amazing how loose they sounded on songs like "Do Your Thing."

Also...Johnnie Taylor wasn't technically a funk guy, but at least one single he did fits the "sloppy funk" category: 1972's "Don't You Fool With My Soul." Produced by JT himself.

• "soul duck" by Plight on the Welcome To The Newsroom comp. Actually, this may have been previously unreleased so that explains it. Personally though, I don't mind sloppyness, it kinda adds to that downhome, just-relax-and-have-a-good-time feel.

See also Do The Football by Stix of Dynamite, maybe not sloppy, but very loose.

• that "engine number 9" cover BGP put out on 45 last year... tr??s sloppy

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anything on the Active label...stuff is outta tune also, but I love it!!!!!

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    There's a record called THE DANCING MACHINE on the Statler label that has tons of sloppy funk. I can't imagine they rehearsed this. The singer does a Curtis Mayfield immitation but sounds real feeble. It's a great record,. needless to say.

Anyone knows anything about this record? There's no info whatsoever on the cover. I can imagine that this one is all over the place in the States in dollar bins.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's a record called THE DANCING MACHINE on the Statler label that has tons of sloppy funk. I can imagine that this one is all over the place in the States in dollar bins.

if so, i missed that one! this record you describe is something i have YET to see anywhere, cheap bin, expensive bin or otherwise.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The Caprells - Close your eyes.

Directionless and just about everything doesn't sit nicely with anything going on in the track.

Wanda Davis - Save me.

Great backing track, but that vocal is shockingly bad.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The Caprells - Close your eyes.

Directionless and just about everything doesn't sit nicely with anything going on in the track.

Wanda Davis - Save me.

Great backing track, but that vocal is shockingly bad.

I love how we can agree to disagree.

Belson, I respect your opinion highly, but I have to disagree. While sloppy at times, it's also quite the opposite. I like the freedom in that song and others like it. There really is no definition for what they made, but listen to the fucking cymbal work on the second "waaa waaa waaaa" section! It's far from sloppy, but they do get loose, and I love that.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I love how we can agree to disagree.

Totally - it's all about the context of your opinion, and that's always cool.

I hear your thoughts on it Day......maybe I just don't get it. The few times I've heard that jammy, it just left me felling like 'is that it'? And I've heard it in the club environs as well as the portable 'give-it-time' steez, and nope, nothing!

I don't think it's in the pile marked sloppiest funk ever made cos there's plenty that could get that tagger. I just find it slack, maybe in its construction, maybe in its vocal performance. Still the volume that have turned up looks like more people can sample it first hand.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    There's a record called THE DANCING MACHINE on the Statler label that has tons of sloppy funk. I can imagine that this one is all over the place in the States in dollar bins.

if so, i missed that one! this record you describe is something i have YET to see anywhere, cheap bin, expensive bin or otherwise.

It's actually on the AVANT label, which is a subsidary label of Statler. I think the musicians were not used to playing funk, probably originally doing doowop and R&B. The kind of stuff that was made at the end of the sixties but this one must be from around 1976 which makes it extra odd. If somebody has info... There's none on the sleeve whatsoever.

Statler records can definatly be fun, yeah? There's another one with this Lalo Schifrin track on it, played super sloppy like some college big band. They play the tune like toddlers play socker - they all just run after the ball without any plan.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!