The All-Encompassing March 4th Primary Poast

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Deposit your election news, views, and boo-hoos here.I'll start off with some racist funny business out of Texas. Prairie View A&M ain't having it:
Early voting starts today in Texas. In Waller County, a primarily rural county about 60 miles outside Houston, the county made the decision to offer only one early voting location: at the County Courthouse in Hempstead, TX, the county seat. Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas??? historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed. According to an article in today???s Houston Chronicle: Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General???s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results. The article adds, ???I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,??? said sophomore Dee Dee Williams. So what are the students doing? 1000 students, along with an additional 1000 friends and supporters, are this morning walking the 7.3 miles between Prairie View and Hempstead in order to vote today. According to the piece I saw on the news (there???s no video up, so I can???t link to it), the students plan to all vote today. There are only 2 machines available at the courthouse for early voting, so they hope to tie them up all day and into the night.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    that is effin RAD.

• Bill O'Reilly refers to "lynching" Michelle Obama:

Link

In a discussion of recent comments made by Michelle Obama, Bill O'Reilly took a call from a listener who stated that, according to "a friend who had knowledge of her," Obama " 'is a very angry,' her word was 'militant woman.' " O'Reilly later stated: "I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that America is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down."

• some soundbites of her quote omit the word "really"
    so it sounds a little worse to the slackjawed yokels listening to Hannity

I'm still not sure if the clip was altered or she gave the same speech twice
    either way, this is probably the first anti-Obama issue with some traction on talk radio. a good learning experience for the campaign.

also Chris Matthews grilled a TX state senator last night
    "What are Obama's legislative accomplishments?"
    the guy couldn't answer, it wasn't a good few minutes

• BREAKING NEWS: MCCAIN IS AN OLD HORNDOG

McCain "Scandal"

This can't really affect the outcome of the Republican nomination, but it could certainly erode support for McCain among the "family values" voters in the general election.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BREAKING NEWS: MCCAIN IS AN OLD HORNDOG

McCain "Scandal"

This can't really affect the outcome of the Republican nomination, but it could certainly erode support for McCain among the "family values" voters in the general election.

Dudes biting Controller 7's steez!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Deposit your election news, views, and boo-hoos here.

I'll start off with some racist funny business out of Texas. Prairie View A&M ain't having it:

Early voting starts today in Texas. In Waller County, a primarily rural county about 60 miles outside Houston, the county made the decision to offer only one early voting location: at the County Courthouse in Hempstead, TX, the county seat.

Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas??? historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed.

According to an article in today???s Houston Chronicle:

Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General???s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results.

The article adds,

???I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,??? said sophomore Dee Dee Williams.

So what are the students doing?

1000 students, along with an additional 1000 friends and supporters, are this morning walking the 7.3 miles between Prairie View and Hempstead in order to vote today. According to the piece I saw on the news (there???s no video up, so I can???t link to it), the students plan to all vote today. There are only 2 machines available at the courthouse for early voting, so they hope to tie them up all day and into the night.

PV A&M is about 20 minutes down the highway from me and yeah, Waller County is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up! Not only that, the TX legislature has basically ensured that young people could not vote this year but mandating that anyone who hasn't voted in a federal election in the past 4 years can not vote without registration sometime between 2004 and now. So a 22 year old that has never voted or gotten their driver's licensed renewed under the 10 year cycle of renewal is gonna get turned away at the booth.

McCain "Scandal"

Dudes biting Controller 7's steez!

In spite of his impressive skill at doing so, I don't think Controller7 invented photoshopping heads onto already existing images. But I encourage him to continue working towards supremacy in the field so long as he posts all his efforts for our amusement.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

McCain "Scandal"

Hmmmmm....I guess dude's got a "type"....

That is not a tie of presidential caliber.

• That is not a tie of presidential caliber.

but the Democrats don't even have neckties:

This is damn near a Barney's ad.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LOVE IT

More style and swagger than any previous candidate in the history of this country. You have to look to France or Afghanistan or some place to find appropriate points of comparison.

• This is damn near a Barney's ad.

LOVE IT

More style and swagger than any previous candidate in the history of this country. You have to look to France or Afghanistan or some place to find appropriate points of comparison.

easy boys.

don't let's bump the "Fred Thompson Swagger" thread from a couple months back. complimenting a man's wardrobe is one thing, but it's never a good heterosexual look to comment on a man's "swagger."

• This is damn near a Barney's ad.

LOVE IT

JFK's style > all the presidential candidates combined

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LOVE IT

I knew one of you poptarts would bring that up, and JFK is certainly number two.

But I still say he's over-rated.

• A lot of people are already trying to jack the swagger. If O gets elected, just watch, they will try to sell swagger but then won't because actually game is to be told. There is no higher office in the land. One should not gimp, limp, simp or wide-stance one's way into that office, nor should one amble, sneak or call "shotgun". One should stride, on the strength.

• A lot of people are already trying to jack the swagger.

GWB is making a run as the prez with the most swagger.

today in liberia:

A lot of people are already trying to jack the swagger.

GWB is making a run as the prez with the most swagger.

today in liberia:

And you thought Obama had no rhythm. This Liberian Bush praise shit is not a good look.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This just in:

Obama Wins Another One

• George W. Bush absolutely has the most swagger, yet lacks the crucial component of savoir faire, and so ends up a boor. Swagger for days though, swagger to spare. Who would have thought that during the final hours of one of our great country's most trying chapters, that President Bush would be dancing his way across Africa?

Let us not allow technology to define our minds though: realize that if we had access to youtubes of Roosevelt or Hamilton that we would likely never have invoked the "s" word to describe any of these modern-era fancy boys, O included.

• Swagger for days though, swagger to spare. Who would have thought that during the final hours of one of our great country's most trying chapters, that President Bush would be dancing his way across Africa?

I believe there is a word for this.

And that word is "GANGSTER".

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

LOVE IT

I knew one of you poptarts would bring that up, and JFK is certainly number two.

But I still say he's over-rated.

Over-rated, please. Barack got style but JFK was style.

• actually I'm sorta feeling Jr.'s style right there. time to bring back overalls, and specifically overall shorts.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• it's creepy how much she looks like his wife right?

it's creepy how much she looks like his wife right?

yep. minus the botox and oxycontin.

A lot of people are already trying to jack the swagger. If O gets elected, just watch, they will try to sell swagger but then won't because actually game is to be told. There is no higher office in the land. One should not gimp, limp, simp or wide-stance one's way into that office, nor should one amble, sneak or call "shotgun". One should stride, on the strength.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to put this on a t-shirt.

Your girl knocked it out of the park on that last question tonight. We'll see.

• what was hill's last question?

and...who is tougher: hillary or condi?