Yo Crink!

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Didnt know you hung in cardiff bars man.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7243151.stm Just when you thought vinyl records were being consigned to the dustbin of musical history, something comes along to make them relevant again.Sleeveface started in a Cardiff bar but is fast becoming an internet phenomenon requiring just a record sleeve, a camera and big dollops of imagination.Put the sleeve in front of your face, strike the pose of the rock god you've chosen, and get yourself photographed.Err, that's it. It's easy but it helps if you have a big record collection.Step forward John Rostron, of Cardiff, one of the original faces behind the sleeves and a man boasting a record collection of around 6,000.Mr Rostron who works as a music promoter for Plug Two in Cardiff Bay, said it all started last April when some friends were DJing at Cafe Bar Europa in Cardiff and started messing around with album sleeves."They held up a couple of sleeves in front of their faces and took a picture."We showed them at work and we thought it was good fun, took some more the next week and put them on a website," he said.But what started as a bit of fun among friends soon grew into something more substantial as word spread on the internet.Sleeveface now has its own website, material on video sharing site YouTube, and a presence on social networking site Facebook which has almost 5,000 members.There's been pictures posted from Sleevefacers in the USA, France, Germany, Japan, Russia, Iceland and Israel, as well as the UK.And that's not to mention the media coverage that's seen features in the Observer and Guardian newspapers and an expected appearance on BBC One's The One Show on Wednesday.The Guardian even made sleeveface its Facebook group of the year.And record shops haven't been slow to make the most of this opportunity to make the most of their vinyl wares.Mr Rostron has had calls from record stores where customers have been picking up records and sleevefacing with them.He said one store in London even wants to host a Sleeveface exhibition.What next? Sleeveface, the movie? Well, there is a book in the pipeline.Mr Rostron has been contacted by an American publisher that wanted to feature some of the best sleeveface pictures.He said: "We're having lots of fun putting the book together. We're doing something that's not our jobs but it's fun and it's positive."We're going to organise some sleeveface parties where we can meet up. We've made lots of new friends."

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Haha! Yeah, I saw that. This shit has blown up huge. I mean, not that anyone can really take credit for the idea or anything, as it's hardly the most original concept ever, but it definitely seem like that Waxidermy thread got around in the last couple of years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    man, waxidermy sold out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    b/w "sleeveface" is a godawful name

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I really think this was happening before waxidermy.

• I really think this was happening before waxidermy.

It was. I saw beatjunkies DVD around 6 or 7 years ago that has a bunch of clips with people doing this and they were probably sampling from someone else anyway.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yeah, wasn't there a pic on this site two or three years ago in a Japanese(?) record store with some guy with a camo hoodie and a Phil Collins LP for a face...or have I got that wrong?

• rookrook 357 Posts
    Yeah, wasn't there a pic on this site two or three years ago in a Japanese(?) record store with some guy with a camo hoodie and a Phil Collins LP for a face...or have I got that wrong?
    that picture rules. i think it's muro

• WHAT'S UP CRINKLETHORPE VONBRUISER???

You get that Nugent tape from my brother randy or what?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts