John Candy and The SCTV appreciation thread.

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I always thought he held his own on that show.Not to mention the whole cast of that show.Here are some moments that stuck with me when I was a kid and some I been introduced to.I wanted to find clips of this one this movie Going Beserk.Funny parody of a kung fu film called "Kung Fu U", But no luck.Please add on.John Candy CBC Commercials

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    SCTV rules.

• A,
    don't have time to find some vids but man I loved that show...gonna watch these this evening...

• My all time favorite TV show. I was down with SCTV when they were showing 1/2 hour edits on WOR in NYC (late 78, early 79?).

"It's ironical.

What Is?

He poisoned the ribs, got hit by a rib truck"

"Dr. John! Surely, as a physician..."

Long live Alkie Stereopolis and Moe Green!

• harold ramis was/is a genius comedy writer.

and Candy was dope.

and Levy WAS dope.

and Catherine O'Hara had some comic heat as well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can't see any of this - but the punk rock clips must be The Queen Haters who were supposedly/for-suredly? Toronto band The Young Lions doing the music?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    john candy as the beaver on sctv

"i'd like to kill that eddie haskell"

• Circus Loopus, the Circus of the Wolves.

Count Floyd.

Bobby Bipman and Johnny LeRue.

Hall & Oats running with eggs in spoons.

HUGE SCTV fan.

• The Memorex blank tape TV commercial parody with (actors playing) Ella Fitzgerald, Rickie Lee Jones, & Tom Waits.

When SCTV was still a half-hour show syndicated out of Canada, the local NBC affiliate in Chicago showed both shows back to back, so you couldn't help but compare the two. They definitely seemed to share the same sensibility. Even after SNL lost a little gravity around 1980, SCTV was still consistently funny.