DISCUSS ALL TIME HEAVY-IST SISTER FUNK TUNES

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
ghetto boogie and bold soul sister are at the top of my listthere are thousands more but those 2 are

Comments

• Coupla favorites:

Betty Wright - Slip And Do It
    Ann Sexton - You're Losing Me

and, of course

Marie Franklin - Bad Bad Woman

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

It's maybe not that heavy, but I really love 'Remember Me' by the Trinikas.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Betty Harris - There's A Break In The Road backed by the Meters with some guitar feedback at the beginning and one of the best drum lines ever always tops my list.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just want to say people should not sleep on the 16 corners podcast

mad archives...son

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SUPER GOOD

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Where'd you get the picture you used for volume 7?

Neville C.'s got pics from the same DC house party. I used a few for a flyer.

• Where'd you get the picture you used for volume 7?

I don't remember. The interwebs obviously, but I've had them for years so I can't recall where. I'm always looking out for cool pics.

• Jodi Gales - "You Gotta Push"

• i just want to say people should not sleep on the 16 corners podcast

mad archives...son

Thanks man!

• I have a general idea of what "heavy" means, but if someone could give me a concise definition that would be good. Is Inell Young - What Do you See In Her heavy?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I don't remember. The interwebs obviously, but I've had them for years so I can't recall where. I'm always looking out for cool pics.

This gets curiouser and curiouser. Note the blue-green paisley shirt and grey slacks.
    Neville bought a small stack of images (some of which are in the flyer I made) at a DC flea market, but I don't think the one you used in your pic was in there. Maybe he can shed some light.

This gets curiouser and curiouser. Note the blue-green paisley shirt and grey slacks.
    Neville bought a small stack of images (some of which are in the flyer I made) at a DC flea market, but I don't think the one you used in your pic was in there. Maybe he can shed some light.

Curiouser indeed! Maybe the greatest party of all time???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have a general idea of what "heavy" means, but if someone could give me a concise definition that would be good. Is Inell Young - What Do you See In Her heavy?

If not, then I don't care for the definition.

I'd add a few personal favorite to such a list: Spanky Wilson: Sunshine of Your Love
    Maggie Thrett: Soupy
    Carol Jones: Don't Destroy Me
    Ann Peebles: It's Your Thing
    Betty Davis: Anti-Love Song

And do we even need to list Lyn Collins/Marva Whitney/Vicki Anderson songs?

Co-sign on the Ruby Andrews on that Bold SOul Sister mix. LOVE that tune.

• viola wills "sweetback"

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sisters from the ghetto (emulate)
    fire & brimstone (larj)
    deloris ealy (big vick hammond)

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Quite possibly!
    And you say you've had it for years? Neville unearthed these only a couple of years back.
    [All the pics Neville has are dated Oct ??? 67, by the way.]

Quite possibly!
    And you say you've had it for years? Neville unearthed these only a couple of years back.
    [All the pics Neville has are dated Oct ??? 67, by the way.]

A few years anyway. Did N**l ever post them here?

• I never posted those pics here as far as I remember. I pulled them out of a photo album that I found at the flea. I may have left some pics behind but what are the odds that someone else would find them, buy them, scan them and then post them somewhere? I'm off today and the pics are at the shop but I can post them tomorrow.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - Nobody

Major cosine on Ann Peebles, Carol Jones, and the Trinikas.

• Mother's Finest (lead vox: Joyce Kennedy) - "Truth'll Set You Free"
    Honey Cone - "When Will It End

A couple of tracks on the "psyche-soula-funkadelic" tip.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - Nobody

Also file under: "songs so much better than their originals you forgot there was an original."

• Sisters Love - Give Me Your Love

The Super Noble Bros. (Lotusland)
    would throw this on at the Riverhorse and it tore the place up.

Sisters Love - Give Me Your Love

Yes, this is great and I still don't have a copy.

Also: Sugar Pie DeSanto - Git Back

• I never posted those pics here as far as I remember. I pulled them out of a photo album that I found at the flea. I may have left some pics behind but what are the odds that someone else would find them, buy them, scan them and then post them somewhere? I'm off today and the pics are at the shop but I can post them tomorrow.

I did that mix in July of 2006, so I had the pic at least as far back as that. I know I have/had one other pic from (I assume) that set with some folks sitting at a table. This is strange.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    A couple favs

Honey & the Bees - Love Addict
    Betty Harris - Mean Man
    Gloria Taylor - Baby You Hit the Spot
    Pearl Dowell - Good Things
    The Explosions With Juanita Brooks - garden of four trees

Nicole Willis - Keep Reachin' Up

• Betty Adams - Make It Real

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    I never posted those pics here as far as I remember. I pulled them out of a photo album that I found at the flea. I may have left some pics behind but what are the odds that someone else would find them, buy them, scan them and then post them somewhere? I'm off today and the pics are at the shop but I can post them tomorrow.

I did that mix in July of 2006, so I had the pic at least as far back as that. I know I have/had one other pic from (I assume) that set with some folks sitting at a table. This is strange.

Really strange that a photo album could be split up and find its way online like that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sisters Love - Now Is the Time