There Will Be Blood

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Just caught it earlier this evening and it was a great movie. I want to say I liked it a little bit better than No Country For Old Men, which was amazing movie. Daniel Day Lewis did a fantastic job as well as the actor who played Eligh and Paul Sunday. In addition the movie reminded me a lot of Citizen Kane.I coudn't find a thread about the movie so pardon if this old nooooooooooz

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I wanted to see this more than No Country... but wifey was like

WOMEN!

• I have this flick up on my next-film-that-I-wade-through-the-snow-to-see list.

• great movie. the music had us thinking that something was gonna pop off at any second and it never quite popped. daniel day lewis is that dude.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i had a few questions coming out of the movie

spoilers...

why'd the kid try to set "henry plainview" on fire?

why'd the kid freak out when the doctor came to check out his ear?

how did old crotchety man who held out selling his land know that daniel killed henry?

why was daniel such a miserable person?

when did you realize that paul and eli were different characters?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    i had a few questions coming out of the movie

spoilers...

why'd the kid try to set "henry plainview" on fire?

why'd the kid freak out when the doctor came to check out his ear?

how did old crotchety man who held out selling his land know that daniel killed henry?

why was daniel such a miserable person?

when did you realize that paul and eli were different characters?

I think the kid was pissed at the way Daniel was treating him and also felt threatened that "Henry" would take his place. Also, he may still have been drunk.

He probably was just scared of the doctor, or that he thought he may take him away from Daniel.

He may have seen fresh dirt; Daniel was pretty blasted when he buried him.

Don't know why he was miserable -- maybe capitalism saps our souls, and he was such a raging businessman that he fell more quickly.

I always thought Paul and Eli were different. For one, I remember Paul having dirty, working hands and also a different hairstyle. I never really questioned hat there were two brothers for some reason.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

1.why'd the kid try to set "henry plainview" on fire?

2.why'd the kid freak out when the doctor came to check out his ear?

3.how did old crotchety man who held out selling his land know that daniel killed henry?

4.why was daniel such a miserable person?

5.when did you realize that paul and eli were different characters?

1.He had just gone deaf, so he was acting out.

2.same thing other dude said, he was just a kid freaking out.

3.it's quiet out there, homeboy MUST have heard the gunshot, and decided to investigate in the morning. saw the gun, fresh dirt, etc.

4.Daniel is extremely insecure. His thirst for more money, more power could never make him happy. Deep down he was always a miserable person, and no matter how powerful he became, he didn't make himself happy. He may have hated himself even more after that, which is why he spirals out of control. He realizes no matter what, he will never be happy. Myabe something happened with a woman as well that may have triggered it, or maybe dude was secretly gay and couldn't come to terms with it. Ever notice he never has a woman? When him and henry check out the loose women, he doesn't partake either. Somewhere along the line he was affected, and just kept making himself worse, and his hatred for himself and everything and everyone around him just keeps getting worse over time as he tries to make himself happy with all the wrong things. Just kept making himself more and more miserable. At the end of the movie, it seems like dude wants ultimate power, so much power that he wants to be able to take away someone's life at will.

5.My theory is that Eli and Paul are the SAME person. Eli = false prophet, and he is truly Paul on the inside. They have to be the same dude. There was a look of recognition when they were "introduced". Eli seemed very eager to negotiate when Daniel showed up, and the reason is, Eli aka Paul invited him into his home, and knew exactly what he wanted from Daniel. Eli is the persona he created for himself, and Paul is his real self. Ever notice that no one in the family ever mentions that Paul has gone missing? If there really was a Paul, where did he go? No one mentions him? C'mon... What about how extremely violent Eli gets when he beats the shit out of his dad, after climbing over the dinner table, and is foaming at the mouth? Does that look like something a proper preacher would do, or maybe just maybe, someone with a personality disorder may do if they had a little freak out moment? At the end of the movie, when Daniel tells Eli that "Paul" took the money, he kind of freaks out because his worlds are colliding. Dude definitely had some sort of personality disorder, and Daniel knew this, which is why he blew up his spot. Daniel was pure evil, and wanted to see the dude have a meltdown, before he killed him for kicks.

• AWESOME!

i think the personality disorder/twin issue was meant to be ambiguous

also, can you really be that upset if you have a room in your house that you use solely a shooting gallery... not to mention a couple bowling lanes

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    And that black and white floor! and the dog!

So classic. I DRINK IT UP!!!!!!!

There have been some rumblings online that an early version of the script had Daniel mention that he is impotent to Henry when Henry asked him about his "wife."

I prefer that PT Anderson made it ambiguous to reinforce D. Plainview's extreme misanthropy.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

also, can you really be that upset if you have a room in your house that you use solely a shooting gallery... not to mention a couple bowling lanes

yet he still sleeps on the floors, and has holes in his boots

yet he still sleeps on the floors, and has holes in his boots

yeah but he sleeps next to steak!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just got a chance to see this movie at the theater. $10.

It was horrible.

The acting was boring, the story was predictable.

Daniel Day lewis seemed like the only character even developed, but ultimately phony.

I can't believe you all hyped this turd up.

Thanks for nothing.

- spidey

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

It was horrible.

Daniel Day lewis seemed like the only character even developed, but ultimately phony.

Thanks for nothing.

- spidey

I'm curious to hear what is in your opinion a good movie?

I can tell you, No Country for Old Men shits all over this movie. At least it was entertaining, had interesting characters, cohesive storytelling.

Hell, even Boogie knights was more entertaining than this.

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Boogie Knights is that shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It was horrible.

Thanks for nothing.

- spidey

. . .

• autoauto 198 Posts

Boogie Knights is that shit.

LOL, you link to a movie that I haven't and probably won't ever see.

How about go find the post where I said I liked the new Rambo movie. That's a better one to use to discredit my taste in film.

- spidey

LOL, you link to a movie that I haven't and probably won't ever see.

How about go find the post where I said I liked the new Rambo movie. That's a better one to use to discredit my taste in film.

- spidey

Your anticipation was palpable.

You seem to be under the impression that you're addressing a person who would click on a thread with "Rambo" in the subject line.

You diss Rambo. You diss yourself.

- spidey

You diss Rambo. You diss yourself.

- spidey

tepid

• NCFOM is still better.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    things spidey finds overrated:

Macs
    Evolution
    TWBB

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Macs
    Evolution
    TWBB

I FIND ALL THREE TO BE OVERRATED AND MUST AGREE WITH THE MAD TEACHER THAT NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN WAS A BETTER MOVIE BUT I THOUGHT THAT WAS ALSO OVERRATED

• Hell, even Boogie knights was more entertaining than this.

where can i check out these boogieing knights. vegas?

Macs
    Evolution
    TWBB

True True.

- spidey