Carlos Nino/Miguel Ferguson "Find a Way"

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Thoughts? Hatt? I think they did a pretty incredible job. Carlos Nino and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Present: Find A Way (Mix 1) Written by (K. Fareed, M. Taylor, A. Shaheed Muhammad, B. Gilberto, T. Tei, J.Yancey) Produced by Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Co-Produced by Carlos Nino & Benjamin TierneyWind, Brass, String and Rhythm Section Arrangements by Miguel Atwood-FergusonMusicians:Flute and Alto Flute - Katisse BuckinghamOboe and English Horn - Myka MillerBassoon - Tara SpeiserFrench Horn - Danielle OndarzaTrombone - Garrett Smith Harp - Rebekah RaffViolin and Viola - Miguel Atwood-FergusonKeyboards - Brandon ColemanElectric Bass - Edwin LivingstonPercussion - Nikki CampbellDrums - Gene CoyeVocals - Meg Todo, Reiko Nakano & Tomoko SuzukiRecorded by Benjamin Tierney at Bomb Shelter, Los Angeles, CaliforniaMixed by Benjamin Tierney with Miguel Atwood-Ferguson at Bomb Shelter, Los Angeles, CaliforniaExecutive Producers: Carlos Nino & Andrew Lojero

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm constantly impressed by the work that Carlos Nino has been putting out. This track is real smooth thanks for posting it.

- spidey

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm constantly impressed by the work that Carlos Nino has been putting out. This track is real smooth thanks for posting it.

- spidey

You're welcome. I think everyone should hear this all the way through at least once.
    I agree about Carlos. He's been doing his thing for a loooooooong time and it seems like he's found his calling with projects like this and Build an Ark.

• Not really feeling the way it was recorded...a bit too clean/smooth but the arrangments are pretty cool. I like it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

very good job

...but the drums sound horrible.

• ...but the drums sound horrible.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I really dig that! Thanks.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Doods - it's an orchestra not an MPC!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Doods - it's an orchestra not an MPC!

too bad.

I ain't
    The drummer is not half funky.

But the rest is

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This is pretty good, Day. I've never heard of Carlos Nino but I'm willing to listen more of his work.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This is pretty good, Day. I've never heard of Carlos Nino but I'm willing to listen more of his work.

Check out Build An Ark. They did a real nice cover of Michael White's "The Blessing Song " a few years ago. That's how I found out about them.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    speaking of which - what is the vocal sample in "Find My Way"? It says B Gilberto in the credits so I'm figuring it's some Bebel Gilberto shit - anyone?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

very good job

I am definitely feeling this but I agree the drums are quite weak... I can't stand snare sounds like that... great arrangement though !! if this had some Marc Mac / Visioneers drums on it this would be an instant playout cut!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

very good job

I am definitely feeling this but I agree the drums are quite weak... I can't stand snare sounds like that... great arrangement though !! if this had some Marc Mac / Visioneers drums on it this would be an instant playout cut!

exactly.

• carlos has done some super cool shit in his day. He played at Afrofunke with dwight tribel, (mispell) and he killed it with dude.

• beautiful and accomplished - i ride!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Nino is very dope! Anyone know if his Spaceways Radio show is still on?

Hope there's an album of these orchestrated covers. "Nag Champa" cover was pretty cool.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just think it's funny they did an orchestral version of "Find a Way" and not "Jazzanova."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like his "Miguel's Bolero" too:

http://www.myspace.com/miguelatwoodferguson

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yeah, i agree those drums are hollow. they sound like early roots/ 311 type drums.
    still nice though