recording music onto computer help (nrr)

hendravishendravis 689 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
so i have been using a 4 track for the longest time, and now i want to start recording onto my computeri know i need software to edit with and stuff. but first of all i want to kno what i need to get in order to hook up my 1/4 inch chord into my computer or rca chord for digitalizing recordscan anyone tell me what i should get in order to b able to record music on my computer?? and also waht software i should use? i was thinkin sound forge, but am open to suggestion.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• RCA to 1/8" cable ? whatwhere would i connect this?
    free:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

higher end:
    http://www.steinberg.net/128+M52087573ab0.html

i recall my frend havin something he hooked his speakers up to that a headphone jack and 1/8" jack , anyone know what this is?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    no need to use those graemlins.. this is pretty simple stuff

I assume you are on a PC , so if you want to go affordable and keep it in the box , get something like this: 2496

If you want an external USB card , spend a bit more and get something like this:

fasttrack PRO

To record in I would just use Cool Edit (or Adobe Audition as it is now called) .. simple to use and just record audio into , not too many extra bells and whistles to complicate things. I always used a crack version so I'm not sure how much it is to buy.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    RCA out from your source to the 1/8" jack input on the back of your computer.

• RCA out from your source to the 1/8" jack input on the back of your computer.

can i hook my mic into this aand record me playing a keyboad or drumset into audioctiy or whatever?

I assume you are on a PC , so if you want to go affordable and keep it in the box , get something like this: 2496

i didtn see an 1/4' input to hook my mic into

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    You could run into your stock audio card's mini plug, but it will be pretty garbage. The 2496 is only about $100. It's RCA inputs. If you need to run 1/4" then just get a male stero rca to female 1/4".

• You could run into your stock audio card's mini plug, but it will be pretty garbage. The 2496 is only about $100. It's RCA inputs. If you need to run 1/4" then just get a male stero rca to female 1/4".

i got a tascam us-122l from a friend , but i cant figure it out. is that usb interface any good?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    What USB? I also don't know what that Tascam is. I bought a Lexicon Omega, which came with a super-basic verison of Cubase, and I haven't ever been unhappy. You can get Lexicon's Alpha, and it own't cost you much. It runs USB, and it probably comes bundled with Cubase.

Do you plan to use your computer like a tape machine and be doing basic stuff, or are you going to want to get crazy with plug-ins, et cetera?

• You could run into your stock audio card's mini plug, but it will be pretty garbage. The 2496 is only about $100. It's RCA inputs. If you need to run 1/4" then just get a male stero rca to female 1/4".

i got a tascam us-122l from a friend , but i cant figure it out. is that usb interface any good?

I have an old US-122 ... works fine. Just plug it in, open Audacity, go up to the "Audacity" pull-down menu, choose preferences, then where it says "recording" change the device to US-122L.

If it doesn't appear as an option, you may need to download a driver for it. Check for that here.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Im not an expert, but depends what you want to do with the sound i think. I suggest investing in a decent sound card with an extrenal input console for optimum recording.

But also if your 4 track has USB then your better off recording onto that and then dumping it on your computer thru USB.

I find when working with samples and shit, i get a better sound (cus I got a shit computer!) if I sample thru my MPC, then using USB, open it in cool edit and fuck around with it, chop etc.

When I've dumped stuff straight from vinyl-mixer-rca-1/4" jack you do lose some quality, or so I find.

I have an old US-122 ... works fine. Just plug it in, open Audacity, go up to the "Audacity" pull-down menu, choose preferences, then where it says "recording" change the device to US-122L.

If it doesn't appear as an option, you may need to download a driver for it. Check for that here.

it came with cubase and that hasnt been working properly, when i press recorrd it seemingly is, but nothing gets captured. i am pretty sure it had the tascam selected as to where it was capturing, maybe i need to download a driver like u said, im goin to futz with it and report back

it came with cubase and that hasnt been working properly, when i press recorrd it seemingly is, but nothing gets captured. i am pretty sure it had the tascam selected as to where it was capturing, maybe i need to download a driver like u said, im goin to futz with it and report back

In Cubase, go up to the "Devices" pull-down, choose "Device Setup", then click on VST Multitrack and change the ASIO Driver to the US-122L if it isn't already chosen.

• In Cubase, go up to the "Devices" pull-down, choose "Device Setup", then click on VST Multitrack and change the ASIO Driver to the US-122L if it isn't already chosen.

i just did that. so after that it should b all set or is there anything else i should know?
    but really, i thank you for your help, sorry if i am

• In Cubase, go up to the "Devices" pull-down, choose "Device Setup", then click on VST Multitrack and change the ASIO Driver to the US-122L if it isn't already chosen.

i just did that. so after that it should b all set or is there anything else i should know?

You should be good. I'd try recording something to see if it works.

So go to File, choose "New Project", pick "empty", choose where you'll save your goods (helpful to get in the habit of putting everything into folders), then it should open up.

Now, to add tracks, go to project and choose "Add Track" then choose Audio. Choose two tracks for stereo.

You'll see a red button on one of the tracks. That enables that track for recording. Make sure the red button is "on" for both tracks.

Then just start playing something and try recording.

You should be good. I'd try recording something to see if it works.

So go to File, choose "New Project", pick "empty", choose where you'll save your goods (helpful to get in the habit of putting everything into folders), then it should open up.

Now, to add tracks, go to project and choose "Add Track" then choose Audio. Choose two tracks for stereo.

You'll see a red button on one of the tracks. That enables that track for recording. Make sure the red button is "on" for both tracks.

Then just start playing something and try recording.

it says it's recording but no audio gets through . i will keep trying , maybe something is missing from my operations

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Is it creating an empty track when you're recording, or not recording at all?