pakistani food vs. indian food

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I used to ride hard for Indian cuisine, but have essentially made the switch to Pakistani. The stews seem to be more oil-based than the heavy butter used in a lot of Indian dishes. And, the restaurants around here at least, seem to use fresher ingredients and quality spices. Whereas the Indian joints have gotten lazy and ,quite frankly, just don't seem to try as hard anymore.

Comments

• damn, the jawn near my house is Indian-Pakistani.

My head hurts.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There the same thing really. read more

Although, a Pakistani restaurant will use halal meat.

• don't think i've ever eaten pakastani food - from a restaruant anyway. i ride hard for the indian buffet though.

• There the same really. read more.

Actually, no.

Indian food basically reflects the various regions of India. Indian restaurants mostly have the meat-oriented Northern style. Cuisine of Southern India tends to be more on the vegetarian side, although there are exceptions. All the regional cuisines (Bengali, Gujarati, etc.) use many of the same spices for the flavor base, but there's tremendous variation in terms of ingredients, cooking styles, etc.

You don't think of "European" cuisine, you think of national and regional variations -- French, Italian (and within that Tuscan, Sicilian, etc). Same for Chinese (Hunan, Szechuan) etc. Indian food is pretty much the same way.

The one big difference I've noted between Pakistani and Indian food is that Pakistani food (especially the homemade variety) can be a lot milder than Indian, based on the use of tomatoes, garlic and onions without drowning everything in red chili powder or green chilies.

And Pakistani kebab shops just kill me -- amazingly delicious food.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    There the same really. read more.

Actually, no.

Indian food basically reflects the various regions of India.

word, I forgot to mention how much I love southern Indian. Dosais and Uttappam and whatever. That is still tops as far as I'm concerned. Most of the "standard" indian places though only really have Northern on their menus & buffets.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Actually, no.

I'd agree with you completely that it's all about region, it was the reason for my glib response. As you can't really blanket 'pakistani food vs. indian food' like that.
    When one of the most famous (in the West) 'Indian' dishes, chicken tikka masala, was invented in Scotland by a Bangladeshi, you'd have to really qualify it a little better than pakistani food vs. indian food.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    balty
    ?

most of the indian food around here is made by pakistan peeps
    not so at the vegetarian joint

i like those spots on 6th st btwn 1st & 2nd in LES where the bengals cook

london indian food is very different from mid atlantic eatz

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    balty
    ?

Balti is mainly Punjabi food. But created/coined in Birmingham (England).

One of the best reason to visit Brum.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Sounds good.

One day I'm going to get a ticket to America just go eat, and get fat.

balty
    ?

well the madness has spread to all them curry joints in london
    & ? how come every dish can be regular or balty ?

my east london mate said it means more spice/heat

Sounds good.

One day I'm going to get a ticket to America just go eat, and get fat.

LES indian eats are not to be missed

the use of coconut, banana + is off the hook
    & the naan has a slight sweetness
    +
    all those xmas lights
    + strip club style pimping for customers as they stroll down First Avenue

• it's always been my assumption/understanding that most Indian restaurants in the US, owing to immigration patterns or whatever, are North Indian restaurants. Geographically N. India and Pakistan are close, and so there's similarities in cuisine.

But if you are lucky enough to eat at a restaurant featuring Indian foods from other regions of India you'll find it can be quite different than Pakistiani.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    food from Northern India, so called Mughlai style - is basically the same as in Pakistan, which is not a big surprise at all. Pulao, biriyani, kebaps...
    One of the main differences is that beef is widely available in Pakistan and that they eat a lot of meat in general compared to India. It??s sometimes hard to find vegetarian food and the food is oily. There are actually two food streets in Lahore, where you can get fantastic barbecue items and roti, but hardly anything else except a few onion rings.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    balty
    ?

well the madness has spread to all them curry joints in london
    & ? how come every dish can be regular or balty ?

my east london mate said it means more spice/heat

Balti is a way of cooking 'Indain' food really. Wiki can probalby explain it better than me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who rides for the Pakistani spots on Inglewood?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Theres a cool Paki spot in my job's hood. All u can eat for $7.

W/ free fresh NaN

Wait it might be Bangladesh steez.

• Theres a cool Paki spot

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Theres a cool Paki spot

im sorry.....

• Last time I was passing that corner with friends, the hosts from the restaurants from above and below were dressed to the nines, and yelling at us for our business.

"COME UP HERE! OUR FOOD IS BETTER!"
    "NO! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!"
    "YOU SHUT UP! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!"
    "WE HAVE FREE WINE WITH THE MEAL!"

We went with the last guy at the basement place. The meal was cheap as hell, and delicious. I'm sure it would have been the same if we'd gone upstairs, but "free wine" are always the magic words.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    There the same really. read more.

Actually, no.

Indian food basically reflects the various regions of India.

word, I forgot to mention how much I love southern Indian. Dosais and Uttappam and whatever. That is still tops as far as I'm concerned. Most of the "standard" indian places though only really have Northern on their menus & buffets.

South Indian is my fave as well, but surprisingly hard to come by in the Bmore area given how many Indian spots there are in town.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

london indian food is very different from mid atlantic eatz

i like to eat at all the cab driver spots in manhattan... i hate how they all pop that shit in the microwave, sometimes i get it cold...

pakistani tea house on Church St. downtown is probably my favorite, although their prices have gone up and their quality down... they do lamb well...

lahore on Crosby/Houston is also pakistani... not that great... the size of a closet, seriously if 5 people stand there, it's packed... good chicken pattie things...

uh, another Pakistani spot on 9th Ave and like 37th St... very big dining area, so so food... sometimes i just get a plate of tandoori chicken, samosas, kababs, and naan...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOVE Pakistani food! In Seattle it is all about the Kabab House in Greenwood. My homie Ibrahim makes some serious kababs....

www.kababhouse.com

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    all this natter about this or that more or less Indian or Pakistani restaurant anywhere in the world, but not in South Asia itself.

Dudes: go there and taste the realness! see the definition of fresh meat, taste spicy spices...

• all this natter about this or that more or less Indian or Pakistani restaurant anywhere in the world, but not in South Asia itself.

Dudes: go there and taste the realness! see the definition of fresh meat, taste spicy spices...

True. Indian food in India just tastes better, fresher, more flavorful. Indian street food is completely . Just be careful if you've got a sensitive stomach, it'll kill your digestive system.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    all this natter about this or that more or less Indian or Pakistani restaurant anywhere in the world, but not in South Asia itself.

But will they deliver to my door?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    LOVE Pakistani food! In Seattle it is all about the Kabab House in Greenwood. My homie Ibrahim makes some serious kababs....

www.kababhouse.com

Tandoori Aloo- Palak Paratha $3.95
    (NAN filled with potatoes, spinach, Baked in Clay oven)

And with that, I'm hungry.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I ride for both. Sri lankin is doep too!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I've done some travel in my life. Taking South Asia outta the picture... England has TONS of amazing spots. When I was living and traveling over there, soooo many spots killed it! I have yet to eat somewhere in North America to blow me away. Cept for a couple of friends moms home cooking...