This Month's Texas Rap Post

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Honestly, things are kinda quiet down here. Lil Keke & Chalie Boy's I'm a G remix is still dominating the radio here in Austin. But there really haven't been many other Texas-based contenders as of late. Everyone seems content to wait on the Z-Ro & Trae reunion album. And the buzz in Austin surrounding groups like Basswood Lane seems to have completely disappeared. Personally, I'm still banking on anything Gerald G does next. Ryno gets released from his work program later this month. Ryno's label On the Line is about to finally release Slim Gutta's album (which is really good) and they went and signed a dude named Whiteside who is pretty much straight fire. Wilco County gaffled up K Paul of VIP last month and it's not looking promising that he's going to see the light of day anytime soon. One new name I can throw out there for y'all is Crazy out of North Austin. I fully endorse his song titled "Crazy" on his myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/crazyatx

• TRANSPARENT ATTEMPT TO DIVERT ATTENTION FROM THE HARVEY CANAL THREAD.

after all, the poasters in there pretty much estabished that this guy's only value is his Texas rapp knowledge. POOF! let's remind everyone of said Texas rapp knowledge.

laguhing my ass off.

TRANSPARENT ATTEMPT TO DIVERT ATTENTION FROM THE HARVEY CANAL THREAD.

after all, the poasters in there pretty much estabished that this guy's only value is his Texas rapp knowledge. POOF! let's remind everyone of said Texas rapp knowledge.

laguhing my ass off.

You are truly PATHETIC.

Also, I personally consider my specialty to be NOLA-related posts.

Texas rap just happens to be where I'm at now.

• hey remember when you spent an entire thread a couple of months back clowing the Hard as Fuck parties and how they were some whitewashed expression of blah blah blah blah.....?

wait...

what's this?!?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Me and the Hater Crew are falling through here... Speaking of which, I need to chop it up with you...

hey remember when you spent an entire thread a couple of months back clowing the Hard as Fuck parties and how they were some whitewashed expression of blah blah blah blah.....?

wait...

what's this?!?

So you're going to use the name of a personal real world friend of mine to prove what point of yours? That whether it's Ric deejaying or someone else that certain dudes in Frisco act like asses when hardcore rap comes on? I mean, Serg shares common friends with me and the times that I've hung out with him when he's sober, he's seemed alright with me. But the mosh-pit-esque lunacy that surrounds the Hard-As-Fuck series seems like it's simply trying way too hard to appear to be Hard-As-Fuck. Outside of SXSW events, that shit simply doesn't fly around here. It's little dude shit...but I do thank y'all for providing Ric with a paying gig.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Z-Ro and Trae - Who's tha Man:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a0igiwbdony

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    what ever happened to that Dolla/Da'Costa kid that was all over that The Day Hell Broke Loose album?

I really liked/disliked that album, it was weird. Dude had some hoooooorrible songs on there but the few I liked I loved. Fed Up with Devin still gets heavy play in my ride, so does that Z-Ro track and a few others.

what ever happened to that Dolla/Da'Costa kid that was all over that The Day Hell Broke Loose album?

I really liked/disliked that album, it was weird. Dude had some hoooooorrible songs on there but the few I liked I loved. Fed Up with Devin still gets heavy play in my ride, so does that Z-Ro track and a few others.

The Day Hell Broke Loose = Swishahouse

The Day After[/b] Hell Broke Loose = Rap-A-Lot with lots of Swishahouse artists on it

I've got the 12" which I think has 3 songs on it, but I've only ever listened to Still Tippin. Now you got me wanting to revisit the other songs on there, as I've never had a copy of that album.

But yes, the Z-Ro track is a classic.

• Lil Keke & Chalie Boy's I'm a G remix is still dominating the radio here in Austin.

So, this past sunday I dj'ed this girl's sweet sixteen birthday party*. It was mostly suburban white kids. This one guy with braces came up and requested "I'm A G." It was hilarious hearing this 16 year old skinny white dude with braces say the words "I'm a G". I wish I actually had the song because it probably would have been hysterical watching him rap and dance along.

*I only did it because her parents own this really nice restaurant/bar and I figured it would be a good way to get my foot in the door there for future gigs.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    oh yeah duh I forgot the "After". but yeah, there's some monster beats on that album, that original Still Tippin kills it. We Act Bad is dope too...hard as fuck beat.

• Z-Ro and Trae - Who's tha Man:

Damn.. I'm feeling this. Keep the tunes coming Harvey.

Damn.. I'm feeling this. Keep the tunes coming Harvey.

Guerilla Maab - Speak on It (chopped and screwed):

http://www.zshare.net/audio/71130687028148/

Pulled these extremely cold Z-Ro quotes from the comments section of some random blog...

LOSING THE WAY I LOSE I GET GRAY HAIRS TAKE A BRUISING THE WAY IVE BEEN BRUISED AND YOU'LL SEE WHY I DONT CARE

AM I TOUGHER THAN MY PROBLEMS ID LIKE TO THINK SO BUT EVERY TIME I TRY TO RISE ALL I DO IS SINK SLOW

I GO THROUGH SO MUCH SO I TRY TO STAY FUCKED UP BECAUSE WHEN IM SOBER I CANT MAINTAIN EVEN THOUGH I DO MY BEST THE ONLY THING I EARN IS STRESS SO I SPEND MOST OF MY DAYS CHILLIN WITH MARY JANE

AS SOON AS THE MINDS CLOSE, ITS OVER AND THATS THAT/ CAUSE WHEN THEY MURDERED MY PATNA, HE DIDNT GET TO BLAST BACK/ IS THAT THE PRICE WE PAY, JUST TO HAVE NICE THANGS/ AND ITS MY LIFE IN DANGER BECAUSE I HAVE ICE MAYNE, ITS A SHAME/ CANT EVEN SPORT OUR JEWELRY LIKE WE WANNA/ CAUSE EVERY TIME WE SHINE, THE JACKERS TRY TO CREEP UP ON US/ CATCHIN PISTOL CASE, AFTER PISTOL CASE, RIDIN DIRTY/ MISTA OFFICER IM NOT A KILLER JUST WANNA SEE THIRTY/ CAUSE THE ODDS BE AGAINST ME WHEN I ROLL ALONE/ A CLIP FULL OF DEMON REPELENTS WHAT IM HOLDIN ON/ IM TRYNA MAKE IT/ REAL WIT THIS GANGSTA SHIT I AINT GON FAKE IT/ ANYTHANG A NIGGA EARN I BE DAMNED IF A NIGGA TAKE IT/ NOW A DAYS, THE GHETTO VERSION OF SPONDALE/ A NIGGA WILL RUN UP IN YO RESIDENCE WIT THE ANDALE', WHOLE HEARTED/ THEY GET THEY FETTI BUSSIN BRAINS FOR A LIVIN/ DISRESPECTIN GODS CHILDREN, BITCH YOU MADE FOR A PRISON

jesus i need a better way of life
    cuz at the rate i travel now i cant decipher day from nite
    still the king of the ghetto
    the ghetto is where i lay my head at
    evade fedz at and break bread at

help me please
    im blinded by my tears and i just cant see
    so many devils trynna recycle my soul
    but in the ghetto where im from aint no positive roles
    just niggas and hoes

My grandmother didn???t raise a killer, she raised up a Christian/But the fact that I was already down and people kept kickin???/Made me crazy/That???s why I got no love for nobody lately/And I told you once before: none of my weapons have a safety

Bad enough they wanna follow me around the sto'
    Like I'ma steal somethin, thinkin I ain't got no dough
    And if I died tonight, they'll think I did a crime for it
    Offer me 25, insistin that I sign for it
    Why I can't drive a fancy ride and rock diamonds and gold
    Why every time I shine you wanna crucify my soul
    Under investigation cause the ghetto on parole

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

this has not left rotation since you posted ... one of the best songs ive heard so far this year, along w/ erykah's 'honey'

• Z-Ro and Trae - Who's tha Man:

This is great. The best song of the year, hands down. I always thought that Z-Ro>>Trae, but I'm not complaining.

wtf?

My wife figures out how to load a stack of compact disks into her new car and she tells me that she put Guerilla Maab in there for me. I then tell her that she is the most awesome-ist wife on earth.

And if you don't know this Trae song, you really should...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

this has not left rotation since you posted ... one of the best songs ive heard so far this year

I would absolutely love to see those two make an album together again. Until then, shouldn't Z-Ro be dropping a proper album again soon? Let the Truth Be Told is a release that has just got better and better to my ears as the years have passed.

this has not left rotation since you posted ... one of the best songs ive heard so far this year

I would absolutely love to see those two make an album together again. Until then, shouldn't Z-Ro be dropping a proper album again soon? Let the Truth Be Told is a release that has just got better and better to my ears as the years have passed.

According to Ro (see below), he's recording 2 tracks a day...so yeah, there should be a bunch of new stuff forthcoming.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

According to Ro (see below), he's recording 2 tracks a day...so yeah, there should be a bunch of new stuff forthcoming.

Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear. As long as quality control is maintained on the production side of things I have very high hopes for this.

Another crucial Trae track from his classic Losing Composure, this time featuring Ro and Yukmouth as produced by Tomar (Salih's brother) of Carnival Beats...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yukmouth must have been pissed that he had to follow that z-ro verse

Set to drop April 1st...

Smoke Sessions Vol. 1 tracklist:

1. Official Smoke Session Intro
    2. If I Did a Mixtape
    3. Getting High (Odd Squad feat. Devin the Dude, Jugg Mug, and Rob)
    4. Searching
    5. She Want Me to Get Closer feat. Drissola (Coughee Brothaz North)
    6. Mixtape II
    7. Take Me Home feat. Baby Girl (Shaun)
    8. Makin??? It Hard feat. Monique & T.J.
    9. Stangy
    10. Todd???s Crazy Ass (Todd Fisher)
    11. Da Real Thang (Odd Squad feat. Devin the Dude, Jugg Mugg, and Rob)
    12. Not Them, Those (14K ??? Wood and Quad)
    13. Coughee Brothaz Freestyle (Devin the Dude, SK, Dudi Mac, Daraja, 1-3, Preach, Rob Quest, and Jugg Mugg)
    14. Freestyle
    15. Ain???t Nothin??? Like Old School B***h feat. Jugg Mugg, K.B., & Warren Lee
    16. B***h Gotta Go! (Tony Mac)

My dude Oscar put together this really nice State of the Art: Austin photo project featuring many of my favorite local rappers...

Pimpin Pen...flying solo now that his partner in VIP, K-Paul, is looking at least a couple of years in Hayes County:

J.Kapone...last year 4 fools burst into dude's home at midnight with guns blazing. One of J.Kapone's friends took a bullet in the shoulder, but they sent the intruders back with a flurry of their own bullets and wound up leaving one those intruders beaten to death in the street:

Black Mike...the most versatile of Austin rap artists:

Gerald G...our best on the mic by far:

Ryno...Welcome Home!!!:

View the rest at:

http://www.luxurymindz.com/

Since it's the last day of the month, please allow me to say that I spoke too soon on saying there's no Texas contender to Lil Keke's I'm a G on the radio down here. Within the past 3 weeks, My Dougie has completely taken over...

Kinda scary actually...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Finally got around to checking this out last night and damn it's good!

Big Pokey's latest tape out is not bad.
    They do rehash the June 27th and Hell Razor joints from way back, though.

"Smoked Out Beatin'"