Endorsements...

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I was wondering what you all think about endorsements.Does it make a difference to have other politicians, famous people, the Kennedys, musicians, newspapers and media-related organisations to endorse a candidate?When it comes to media it might help if they make the coverage more positive towards their endorsed candidate but over all does it make a difference?Peace,Dress

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't care unless it's someone who I truly have a ton of respect for, and politically, there are only a small number of people who fall into that category.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think they are increasingly important. The cosign is crucial in 2008.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Best endorsement I've seen...

• teddy kennedy's didn't help much. it would be a good endorsement for a new brand of scotch or a new oldsmobile with special safety features or something.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think they are increasingly important. The cosign is crucial in 2008.

I won't say they're useless but their efficacy is uneven, to say the least. Just look at Massachusetts. Obama had both senators - including the Kennedys - PLUS the governor all rolling with him AND he won in Delaware and CN. But he still lost MA and rather handily. Likewise, in CA, he had tremendous endorsement support from unions, politicians, celebrities, newspapers (including Spanish and various Asian-language ones) PLUS The Oprah??? and still got spanked by 10.

Of course, then there's Huck and his endorsement by Chuck.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    teddy kennedy's didn't help much. it would be a good endorsement for a new brand of scotch or a new oldsmobile with special safety features or something.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    I was wondering what you all think about endorsements.

I think it's a silly practice. I'm glad it's not common in most political systems.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think it matters if your candidate gets knocked out before your primary (or caucus) and you're not sure which of the remaining candidates to back. Of course, you could make up your own mind like a rational adult, but some people need to have their hand held through the big, bad, scary political process.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Of course, you could make up your own mind like a rational adult, but some people need to have their hand held through the big, bad, scary political process.

Of course, you could make up your own mind like a rational adult, but some people need to have their hand held through the big, bad, scary political process.

Endorsements are stupid bullshit.