Bassist Phil Chen: Instructional LP?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Yo - I'm trying to some research on Phil Chen, who used to work with Donovan, Rod Stewart, the Butts Band, etc. I've been told he might have recorded an instructional bass LP at some point, ala Carol Kaye? Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
    I know he did a section on the James Jamerson tribute book, "Standing In The Shadows of Motown". I had that on tape, whereby a whole load of pro bassists talk about their favourite Jamerson cuts on Motown and then play their take on the bassline. You could pan the stereo l/r to get just the bass or the backing track if you wanted to cop it yourself as you played along. Not sure what track Chen played; I am sure it's googleable.

He's got a good Jamaican accent too.

• i love his playing on "blow by blow".

btw, what are those carole kaye instructional albums like? are they short lessons or background tracks to play along with?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i love his playing on "blow by blow".

btw, what are those carole kaye instructional albums like? are they short lessons or background tracks to play along with?

There's just "the one" I thought - Kaye used to sell it directly herself. I think it was background track style but I've never actually heard it myself.