Anyone got a Studio Apartment

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I am done with roommates, and 1 bedrooms in my area, unless I live in the slums(fall river, taunton, new bedford) are too much damn money!!Does anyone live in a studio apartment or have before? I'll be checking one out tomorrow. It's mad cheap, it's up the street from where i live now (my last roommate fucked me over so i had to stay with the 'rents for a couple months). The ad says its furnished and SMALL. I guess i wont really know how small till i check it out.Whats the pros and cons?What the fuck am i going to do with my overabundance of records??tALK TO ME.

Comments

• I lived in a studio in college. It had a shared kitchen with a studio on the other side. basically it was a two bedroom with no common space at all, besides a kitchen in the middle.

The thing I hated about it was the fact that you walk in from outside directly into your bedroom. I ended up setting some shelves up to block the front door area and made a small entry way, but it was still kind of lame. It just sucks when it's pouring rain and you come inside and you don't have a little common area to walk into and take off your jacket/shoes.

If you spend most of your time in your room and don't need a common area than it should be fine. It's just slightly mentally stifeling to have nowhere else to go. Your room is every room.

• pro = inexpensive

con = being able to see your oven from your bed.

I lived in a small studio 250 sq/ft in Brooklyn that I actually really loved, and now I live in a one bedroom railroad that is basically a studio because all the rooms line up in a row.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I have a couple of co-workers that have them. They never invite anyone over. I don't know if there's just not enough room to entertain or what. From what my man Todd tells me, cooking can be difficult with a microkitchenette, and you don't realize how much stuff you have until you don't have anywhere to put it.

Of course, I'm always willing to help out a friend and take their quality records???just slide me a little gas money and I'll come on down.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im imagining waking up in the morning and just not getting out of bed cause im already in my living room.
    i wont have to get 2 tv's though. and its cheap enough that ill be able to afford cable, and other stuff.

• if you get a regular sized table and four chairs you can always have people over. rather than try and have everything you would in a larger apartment only shrunken down, just get fewer things. I had a bed, dresser, night table, kitchen table and four chairs, used a rug in the bed area to set it apart and built shelves along an entire wall to hold everything.

Of course, I'm always willing to help out a friend and take their quality records???just slide me a little gas money and I'll come on down.

always looking out for a brother!!!
    i might have to wait for the next Beantown SoI REcord Sale.

• If it's big enough to put a divider in than it could be cool.

If it's inside of a buidling it might actually be better. There's something nice about walking into the building door and then going down a hallway to your room. When your front door is ground level on the outside it sucks. You get a knock on the door and then the post man/jahova's witness/etc. sees everything you own.

if you get a regular sized table and four chairs you can always have people over. rather than try and have everything you would in a larger apartment only shrunken down, just get fewer things. I had a bed, dresser, night table, kitchen table and four chairs, used a rug in the bed area to set it apart and built shelves along an entire wall to hold everything.

You forgot the bare 40-watt lightbulb hanging from the ceiling and the unexplained stain on the floor that won't come out.

maybe ill get some of those really cool hippie beads to divide the space.

I just couldn't let it slide without the obligatory "you can always give your records to me" comment.

• its all about using your space wisely and keeping things tidy - everything has its place. the pay-off is that it is all yours. trust me, having your own apartment after living with roomates it wont matter how small it is.

• You forgot the bare 40-watt lightbulb hanging from the ceiling

mine had no overhead lighting, so I had some overhead lamps and it was basically like exposed bulbs. It sucked.

This was in Berkeley.

It also had those glass blinds next to the front door. I don't know how to describe them, but they look like overlapping blinds, made out of glass. I never thought much of them until I locked myself out of the house. It took me about 10 seconds to peel up a piece of metal, remove a glass pane, and reach in and unlock the door. I went to the hardware store right after and bought some plexiglass to build a secondary shield.

I just couldn't let it slide without the obligatory "you can always give your records to me" comment.

i must admit, i do like the business savy proposition of ME paying YOU to come take my precious records.

• trust me, having your own apartment after living with roomates it wont matter how small it is.

very true.

trust me, having your own apartment after living with roomates it wont matter how small it is.

very true.

I third that. I pay out the ass for my apartment, but it's worth every penny.

i must admit, i do like the business savy proposition of ME paying YOU to come take my precious records.

Hey???those records aren't going to drive themselves to my place, now are they?

• Who's rocking a flat screen in a studio? (although it makes plenty of sense)

trust me, having your own apartment after living with roomates it wont matter how small it is.

very true.

not to mention all the gash* i'll be bringing back to the place.
    but seriously, if it's bigger than my bedroom i'll prob take it. once my school bills go up in may i'm gonna reeeally appreciate the cheapness of it. and the location is proper.

*see the acapella thread[/b]

• When I was single I lived in a couple of small studio apartments. The first one was a block from the beach and had a huge walk in closet. I used to have parties and all kinds of shit.

The second one (about ten years later) was a roach-infested shit box with insane (literally) neighbors, where I was literally swimming in records and books. I still shudder when I think about it.
    Directly after that I was rescued from a life of squalor by my future wife.

some of those places seem a little luxurious. whats up with the one with the porch?

• Just sayin...Studio's dont have to be shitty. Make your home, YOUR home.

House Warming gift.

• I had a great studio when I lived in Philly. I even had a roomate. It helped that he was never home but it wasn't bad and I paid like $250 a month for rent.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Do you mean in a reg building or a warehouse-type space? If you can get a place with high ceilings, things become much easier. If you are handy, or know handy people, you can have a high step up bed or storage space which allows for all kinds of bonus space underneath.

• Do you mean in a reg building or a warehouse-type space? If you can get a place with high ceilings, things become much easier. If you are handy, or know handy people, you can have a high step up bed or storage space which allows for all kinds of bonus space underneath.

Back in the day I knew some guys that shared a place like that in the East Village that they had added all kinds of homemade loft space to. It was a little Lego-like, but they had a lot more room.

Do you mean in a reg building or a warehouse-type space? If you can get a place with high ceilings, things become much easier. If you are handy, or know handy people, you can have a high step up bed or storage space which allows for all kinds of bonus space underneath.

its a building. i have no idea what it looks like yet. after i check the specs i'll be able to make a better judgment on the potential. i do have a lot of stuff. not to mention the records.

• run the water in all the sinks and bathtub to make sure it drains properly, gets warm and doesnt smell.

look under the sinks for roach traps, and be alert to the smell of bug poisons from recent exterminations.

see whats outside your windows, accessibility to stealers.

run the water in all the sinks and bathtub to make sure it drains properly, gets warm and doesnt smell.

look under the sinks for roach traps, and be alert to the smell of bug poisons from recent exterminations.

see whats outside your windows, accessibility to stealers.

this is good stuff right here!!
    i need more of this.
    thanks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    some of those places seem a little luxurious. whats up with the one with the porch?

Sayin, some of those things look like loft prairies.

I lived in a studio for a year in manhattan. It was great, but I also had no records at the time, and no instruments. If it's possible to get a cheap storage closet at a facility near your crib that might be a good look (winter clothes, records, and books that are not on regular rotation, et cetera). I have absolutely no complaints about mine. It was recently renovated, and incredible natural light. 200 square feet would be a gratuitious square footage estimate. I had no kitchen table, and rarely had more than one person over at a time. One thing that really helped was putting a bench in my kitchen that had storage cabinets underneath. Studies are all about ample storage space that is being employed wisely.

Good luck.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I lived in a studio in West Los Angeles that was tiny. I could've maybe tolerated it, except that it was at street level, with the sidewalk five feet from my window. I never opened the blinds in the daytime because it felt like I was living in a fishbowl.

Also, if the ad says it's small, you can pretty much count on that.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It's all about making the most of your space in the studio apartment game.
    The last apartment we had before buying our house was a studio and I really liked
    it. It really makes you figure out what you really "need", especially when you
    downsize from a 2 bedroom to a studio.
    Check out a book like this:

The japanese know how to hook up some cool shit in a tiny ass space.