Numark portable concerns

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I recently got a numark portable. I love the thing but all my records sound like the pitch drifts (kinda wowy and fluttery like) I know it's no quartz lock. Do I need to wait for the belt to break in? Or am I expecting too much from $99 turntable?

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    If your records have even a slight warp, they'll have that fluttery sound. I find that it often happens on only one side.

To rectify it, you can play a record on top of another record (but you may want to put a paper towel or something like it between the records).

I'll now sit back and wait for anal record dudes to cringe.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I'll now sit back and wait for anal

PASUEAYO

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    If your records have even a slight warp, they'll have that fluttery sound. I find that it often happens on only one side.

The records don't look that warped at all. It happens on both sides. They sound great on my Techs tho.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    WTF

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

PASUEAYO

ULTRAPAUSE

• i know you said you got it recently but is there a chance the batteries might be dead?? maybe you accidentally left it on or something and they ran down?
    just a thought, i dont even own a portable myself.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The tonearm is made of plastic, no? I don't think they prolly track all that well.

h

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

PASUEAYO

ULTRAPAUSE

WHOA.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    i have one of those numark portables too and the only time i get what you're talking about is when there's warps or bends on the record.

hollur.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

PASUEAYO

ULTRAPAUSE

WHOA.

[Sigh]

Someone tell Moisty that this is how's it done (PASUE).

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

PASUEAYO

ULTRAPAUSE

WHOA.

[Sigh]

Someone tell Moisty that this is how's it done (PASUE).

if you look at my original reply you will see that your quote demanded a combination PASUE and AYO

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i think your portable is defective cause mines doesnt do that unless the records is noticably warped.
    id try to exchange it at the store you bought it from if possible

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The reckid isn't pressed everso slighty off-centre is it?

Cause of the light weight tone arm, it can make it sound more noticable than with a proper heavy-ass one.

Sometimes I get that on my Vestax portable.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    ya know, after playing with both the Vestax and the Numark in the shop, I wondered if the little felt strips off to the side of the platter on the Numark might effect the playback of records (i.e. slow it down at times due to drag). I thought I noticed it a couple of times, but I could have been trippin too..