What should I buy first? (Synth/drum machine-R)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Uh, kinda bored at work so I'm posting this. I was determined to buy a Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MKII and a Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 earlier this month but haven't really gotten around to ordering stuff until now. Of course, everything is out of stock now and now I'm second guessing my purchases. I'm also thinking of picking up a second-hand Alesis Andromeda but I've heard so many things about tuning issues or voices being lost that I'm wary of doing so.I'm going to be selling off everything I have (wasn't much) so all I will have left will just be a PC running Pro Tools. I was kinda thinking about picking up a Macbook Pro to use Logic but I already have a PC desktop and laptop and can't really justify having another computer. I would sell them but I really wouldn't get much for them so I figure I'll just use them until the wheels fall off.I guess my question is, if you were to rebuild your setup, what would you go with first? A poly analogue synth, a drum machine, or just a whole new DAW platform? I'm kinda thinking I'll just get the Prophet '08 and everything after but shits expensive as fuck to ship to Hawaii so I'm rethinking shit.

Comments

• Dude, isn't this about the fourth time you've done the synth/drum machine thread?

I don't think anyone else can predict what you'll like. I bought a Dave Smith Evolver based on friends' recommendations. A lot of people love it but it left me totally cold.

For what it's worth, I left behind a storage unit's worth of gear when I moved and am pretty happy just running Logic with a pile of plugins.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I guess my question is, if you were to rebuild your setup, what would you go with first? A poly analogue synth, a drum machine, or just a whole new DAW platform?
    Get a new DAW. It will please you.