PE concert notes

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
a ticket fell into my lap last night to go see PE and the Roots at the trocaderoso i rolled down, had a couple beers 1.girls were jumping on stage trying to molest flav. s1ws QUICKLY squashed that2.chuck D, the s1s,grif ,flav all look the same as they did 20 years ago. wtf!3.it was a benefit for Citgo's oil distro to heat homes of the poor. lots of shouts to ol hugo and a lot of middle fingers to bushes4.PE has a backing band for most of their classics5.stanley clark came out and played along to "fight the power" WTF!6.they played for 2 hours + and were real hyped up...i had to laugh at their most often used stage gimmick: throwing the mic in the air and catching it....over and oover and over 7.the crowd was real weak...there was only about 12 people really bouncing and jumping up and down. kinda deflating when everyone else is a herb8.their new dj did scratch routine with doubles of "my part of town". prrrrrrrops9.flav played a pretty solid breakfilled set on the drums10.ladyB came out on stage and was looking good as shit. when flav told her hed get her on flava of love, she said "youwaited till you were a grandparent to become a pimp"11.no one knew the lyrics to "harder than you think". a shame. song is thorough12.they rocked "cant truss it" over barkays holy ghost13.the roots had a tuba on stage14.the crowd started leaving after 12 (i told you! weaksauce!) and PE still acted like it was a packed house for another hour and a half.flav wouldnt get off the stage15.chuck had a little speech that hiphop should have followed phillys lead instead of nyc, cause shit wouldnt have got coopted. some might disagree, but i was clapping!good to be in the presence of legends

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    DAMMMMM
    ill review 3x2!
    thats a sign of the times that the place was empty

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

8.their new dj did scratch routine with doubles of "my part of town". prrrrrrrops

DJ Lord? That guy is fuckin' ridiculous.

12.they rocked "cant truss it" over barkays holy ghost

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

8.their new dj did scratch routine with doubles of "my part of town". prrrrrrrops

DJ Lord? That guy is fuckin' ridiculous.

These are the exact things that jumped out at me too. DJ Lord is dope - I really want to hear him just rock a DJ set.

• yeah, it was too short, without a doubt...but real nice

they also rocked "bring the noise" over "the champ"
    pretty much all the old tracks were out the window and the band either filled in some funky dope manuever or DJ Lord brought in some classics. a lot of the PE classics were switching up beats every verse. a little disconcerting to hear old familiars without their music, but all the fillin tracks were solid...the band being tough as hell

the crowd didnt seem to know all that many songs. it was weird...there were a bunch of old heads, but things were too sedate. hype dudes was some kensington looking young too tuff who stayed crazy throughout. he sparked a joint of dirt weed which he passed to me and then two wildstyle lookin puertorican kids, one with a CEntralHigh letter jacket (my almamatter...we had 16 years separating our attendance!). so the four of us all got pretty amped and were jumping up and down, in the midst of utter calm.

classics they played:
    bring the noise
    black steel in the hour of chaos
    fight the power
    night of the living baseheads
    public enemy number one (that was one og unmolested..."blow your head" nice and loud)
    shut em down
    911 is a joke
    dont believe the hype
    rebel without a pause
    welcome to the terrordome
    terminator x to the edge of panic (well...they switched names to make lyrics appropriate)
    also:
    cant truss it
    he got game

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    10.ladyB came out on stage and was looking good as shit. when flav told her hed get her on flava of love, she said "youwaited till you were a grandparent to become a pimp"

• wack flava moment of the night...
    at the very end of the show he thanked the troops in the middle east for their sacrifice (i'm cool with that statement, but then...) because "they kept all those people from invading us over here"

i mean, motherfucker, dont you talk to chuck just a little bit???? godddamn

• funny flava moment of the night...

he started promoting flava of love and people started booing.
    he was like, "boo? boo is for ghosts. yall are a bunch of ghost. saying motherfucking boo and shit. im not down with ghosts. fuck yall if you dont like my show. ghosts."

except he drew it out a little longer. kinda asshurt, but also kindof onpoint.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Dear lord

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Got to see them last year for free outside a comic book store, no DJ Lord, but it was Johnny Juice tearing up the decks. Chuck was mad cool...

Dude...Can't Truss It over Holy Ghost?!?!?!