Recomend me a good SolidState Phono Pre (4-500$)

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Aight?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Paging Rey...

aside: Thes: when's that movie you scored coming out?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I haven't heard them, but I heard that Studer made some real nice preamps BITD with honkin transformers.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have a Rotel RQ-970 and have been very happy with it. More than resonable price and great sound.

http://www.rotel.com/NA/Products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=31

So for the audiophile-ignorant around here - how big is the diff between listening to raers on one of these vs. the ol' DJ mixer?

• Hey, damn, looks pretty good.

I'm trying to build the most diesel sampling set up of all time:

I got a KABusa switchbox leading to a custom Manley phono Pre / ?(probably this one)
    going into a Apogee AD with external big ben clock, then spdif into the MPC. This might work well fo rth eSS side of things.

• The movie is still being shoppped for Theatrical distro but I don't see why MTV is dragging their feet, esp. with the utter shite they are releasing and with the fact that the stars of the movie are the top dudes on their channel, it just doesn't make sense.

One more week or so and I shall be back on the saddle with our project O. Sorry I have been out of touch. Little dude is finally in his daycare schedule and I am almost done rebuilding the studio, post console sale. I'll call--

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    custom Manley phono Pre

• Wait till you see the custom console that's being built.

The movie is still being shoppped for Theatrical distro but I don't see why MTV is dragging their feet, esp. with the utter shite they are releasing and with the fact that the stars of the movie are the top dudes on their channel, it just doesn't make sense.

One more week or so and I shall be back on the saddle with our project O. Sorry I have been out of touch. Little dude is finally in his daycare schedule and I am almost done rebuilding the studio, post console sale. I'll call--

Dude, it's all good. On the real: my first YEAR with my daughter was such a mix of sleep-deprivation, spousal tension and general chaos that I can't even remember it. It's like my brain blocked that shit out to protect myself. Do your thing.

• depression.

Oh god what have we done b/w i love him more than life itself

there aren't enough undisturbed minutes in the day and then I am up all night.

when do things cool out?!!!

depression.

Still waitin!

I'm literally sitting next to my daughter's bed right now b/c she wanted one of us to "stay here for a little while" while she tries to fall asleep. Normally, I wouldn't indulge but she was rocking a fever last night so we're trying to comfort but man, get used to this.

b/w

Kids are awesome.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    depression.

happy you got the daycare down though

and the orchestra thing is stil

• If you can find one used, go for a Dynavector P75 MkII. New is $750, but check audiogon.com and you can sometimes find them for around your price range. It has a really nice sound.

• i need to get a nice setup goin...this vestax just aint cuttin it anymore.

• So for the audiophile-ignorant around here - how big is the diff between listening to raers on one of these vs. the ol' DJ mixer?

me too. Is this more for recording fidelity or ???

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo T,

I would speak to Kevin at KAB USA. He could hook you up. I know that KAB makes some great phono pre amps. If you're on a budget, Cambridge Audio has got a couple models that are getting good pub. If price is no object, look to Lehmann. Their Black Cube is solid. Here's a review:

http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl200306.htm

Here is a link to a good audio site:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/amps.html

They have reviews of the Kab preamp, Graham Slee, Cambridge & the Black Cube.

peace

h