Microwave question - laptop swapping?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
If me and my DJ partner want to swap out our laptops whilst sharing a Microwave box, is all we need to worry about the external power supply? Or are there other potential complications?

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    pretty sure I've done this w/no probs. play a record during the transition

daisy-chaining the Microwave boxes works well if you know how to do it. i always forget how exactly but my friend knows

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Haven't done it yet myself but I would imagine having to recalibrate each turntable [in setup].

• Haven't done it yet myself but I would imagine having to recalibrate each turntable [in setup].

Didn't we do it at your New Year's party? (no homo)

I think we just put on a record and switched the USB from one laptop to the other.. no?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    all you need is the power supply and to put on a regular record. works like a charm. i always hesitate to unplug Microwave but it always works...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    USB switchboxes make this entirely too easy. You can cop em at Frys for like 13.99

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Didn't we do it at your New Year's party? (no homo)

I think we just put on a record and switched the USB from one laptop to the other.. no?

I had my laptop set up from earlier in the day, but hadn't hooked up the USB box. No power adaptor so we couldn't do the switch. We *talked* about it, but I don't recall actually doing it...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    USB switchboxes make this entirely too easy. You can cop em at Frys for like 13.99

Does this require an outside power source still?

Does this require an outside power source still?

For the microwave? yes
    For the switchbox? depends on the brand.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

Please to explain how this usb switchbox works? I really prefer daisy chaining the microwave boxes on a four channel mixer. works like a charm. You can also, play a record although I hesitate to pull the usb plug, it just worries me. You need to make sure your 9 volt is connected right as well because if the polarity is reveresed the box will shut off, I know because it happened to me. Also, when playing a record you can get feedback bass rumble. Another really good way is if you have a cdj hooked up to mix in a track off a cd then do a quick switchout of laptops.

Please to explain how this usb switchbox works? I really prefer daisy chaining the microwave boxes on a four channel mixer. works like a charm. You can also, play a record although I hesitate to pull the usb plug, it just worries me. You need to make sure your 9 volt is connected right as well because if the polarity is reveresed the box will shut off, I know because it happened to me. Also, when playing a record you can get feedback bass rumble. Another really good way is if you have a cdj hooked up to mix in a track off a cd then do a quick switchout of laptops.

Problem is, the mixer we're sharing is a Rane TTM56 so there's no extra channels to work with (though, if we REALLY wanted to do it, we could plug an iPod into the aux channel and use that to make the swap).

I don't see the point in a USB switchbox if you still need an adapter for S-box anyway. In that case, why not just swap the USB cord at that point?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I would suggest using an external power supply with Microwave at all times. Buy the one that RANE sells then you don't have to fuck with polarity/voltage BS.

Using an external power supply reduces risk of usb dropout and unplugging the usb does nothing when a real record is playing, but if you all are using the TTM, doesn't that have the SSL box built into the mixer and have it's own power supply, so no external is needed, right?

You should try to calibrate both laptops to the setup prior to playing, but even if you are using separate boxes you will still need to calibrate to the needles/tables.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    if you all are using the TTM, doesn't that have the SSL box built into the mixer and have it's own power supply, so no external is needed, right?
    you're thinking of the 57. he said they are using a 56

• You should try to calibrate both laptops to the setup prior to playing, but even if you are using separate boxes you will still need to calibrate to the needles/tables.

The only problem is that, if you calibrate them early in the night before the club is at full volume, you'll need to re-calibrate them later when things are loud. Granted, it only takes a second, but you'll still need to do it, lest you'll hear that annoying crackle/garbled noise in your headphones.

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts
    The last couple of times that I used microwave the same time as the dj I was partnering with, I took my "crates" on a removable hard drive & copied them onto his laptop. That meant we only had to callibrate once, we could swap back and forth as much as we wanted to and at the end of the night he just deleted my crates from his drive.

I know it's not always an option, there are certain drawbacks, but it is handy sometimes. I use vinyl whenever I can (i.e. no flights involved) so it isn't a big issue for me, but I reckon microwave should come up with a solution for this as it's going to happen more and more.

I'm at the clurb folks and even WITH the external supply, shit isn't working. The moment I unplug the USB cord, the box stops working and instead, I get this incredibly bad power buzz. I'm using a variable voltage adapter and suspect that's probably the problem. Luckily, my partner has all his songs (and playlists) on an external HD so we realized we never even needed to bring in both laptops.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah. it's your power supply.

even without swapping, i always use the power supply. it makes things more stable in my experience.

even without swapping, i always use the power supply. it makes things more stable in my experience.

Is the supply LogCabin sells good 'nuff?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Is the supply LogCabin sells good 'nuff?

I haven't checked what they sell, but they're up on their shit so chances are it's fine.
    I remember it being a very specific voltage (800mA I think). I'm sure that's what your problem was.

I don't see the point in a USB switchbox if you still need an adapter for S-box anyway. In that case, why not just swap the USB cord at that point?

If you're smart, you can swap without using real vinyl. I'm gonna let you marinate on that one.

I'll give you 2 hints: a short break in the song and absolute mode.

That is all.

Bonus: there's even a way to change out two laptops without using real vinyl and a switchbox all while keeping the mix intact...

• HamHam 872 Posts

• I don't see the point in a USB switchbox if you still need an adapter for S-box anyway. In that case, why not just swap the USB cord at that point?

If you're smart, you can swap without using real vinyl. I'm gonna let you marinate on that one.

That is all.

Bonus: there's even a way to change out two laptops without using real vinyl and a switchbox all while keeping the mix intact...

PLEASE TO EXPLAIN!

• I don't see the point in a USB switchbox if you still need an adapter for S-box anyway. In that case, why not just swap the USB cord at that point?

That is all.

PLEASE TO EXPLAIN!

YES! this info will come in handy tonight.

That is all.

PLEASE TO EXPLAIN!

Which one? The second should say "power supply" instead of "real vinyl"... Brain fart...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

That is all.

Ok, having the same exact track qued up on the 2nd lapatop and having it already on the correct turntable side. Then at the break simply yank the usb and place on the 2nd laptop. Not really ideal but could work. I would suggest if trying to do this method you bring the fader down when pulling the usb out and fading up after it is in the 2nd laptop.

That is all.

Ok, having the same exact track qued up on the 2nd lapatop and having it already on the correct turntable side. Then at the break simply yank the usb and place on the 2nd laptop. Not really ideal but could work. I would suggest if trying to do this method you bring the fader down when pulling the usb out and fading up after it is in the 2nd laptop.

Basically that's it for the first method. With a switchbox, it takes about .5 seconds for the 2nd laptop to recognize the s-box and if you can get the indentical mp3 loaded up, absolute mode will pick it up right where the the 1st left off.