Jerry Wexler called me today!

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Wow, yeah.. Woah.My dad's being treated for leukemia in Sarasota, Fl (he's doing pretty well, all things considered), and he showed the book to his oncologist. Turns out the doctor is friends with Jerry Wexler, who happens to be treated in the same hospital. So my dad suggested that I send a book for him, which I did. (I made a special note of the page with Mike's 45 with the hand drawn Atlantic label).So today the phone rings and it's him! He told me that he's really sick - things have been really rough for him recently and that the book really brightened his day and brought some sunshine into his life. The guy is 91!I just can't believe it, what a legend. Anyways, thought you guys would be interested in hearing about it.

Comments

• that's awesome.

• Good work my man.

• that's awesome.

Sorry to hear he and your Dad are sick though.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    that's awesome.

• Yeah, it's rough. I never thought of leukemia as something that could hit you so late in life. My dad really is having a miraculous recovery though. He's in remission and the doctors are all kind of dumbfounded by how well he's doing. It takes a couple of years to overcome (if you're able to) and things can change at any time - but my dad has this amazing outlook about it. A positive attitude can really work wonders, I think.

Not sure exactly what Wexler's ailments are, but I get the impression that they're very serious. I'm happy to know that Mike's story put a smile on his face.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Positive mental attitude is the key.....all the best to your Dad.

And the Wexler story is great.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Positive mental attitude is the key.....all the best to your Dad.

ABSOLUTELY.

• wow, yeah... wow.
    all i can really say is wow.

when you think about Wexler, the Erteguns, Tom Dowd- together they really must rank as one of the most important teams in 20th century america, in any field

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Good luck and get well to your dad.

And to your new friend JERRYFuckin'WEXLER!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    that's awesome.

Yes, and yes.

Dori, this thing has really brought an element of unpredictability to your life, hasn't it? Thanks for keeping the rest of us in on the fun! Life is funny, boy.

• Thanks for all the kind words.

I've spoken to him a couple of times now and he really does seem very sick and kind of down. So I was thinking it would probably be a nice pick-me-up for him to hear from some fans.

If anyone wants to send me a letter/mix cd/whatever I'going to send him a package.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Good luck to your Dad D!
    If I was a praying man I'd say one for him.
    I'll just put some good vibes into the cosmos on his behalf aiight.

• Thanks homie!

• I didn't know abt your Dad.... really hope all the best to him !

Jerry Wexler ? ... that's the definition of livin Myth !