High End Vinyl Transfers

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
My company's looking to sub-contract our customers who want vinyl ripping to someone really top-notch. A lot of our customers are audiophile weenies, and so I'm not really looking for a good value, more top-notch gear/fidelity/blah blah blah. Anyone know who's the best in the biz stateside....

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Are you talking about 24bit/96khz conversions, so it can be played as a DVD-A, or something else? There was a website that did them from those laser turntables, I'm sure they are still around, although a standard mid-grade audiophile turntable will do just as good.

• Yeah but I am sure expensive record cleaner, expensive turntable, expensive cartridge, expensive preamp, expensive D/A convertors, tons of knowledge about cleaning up recordings + software are critical links in something like this.

24bit AIFF/WAV are a given

• Mark Dann in NYC does an incredible job. PM me for hisinfo.

Yeah but I am sure expensive record cleaner, expensive turntable, expensive cartridge, expensive preamp, expensive D/A convertors, tons of knowledge about cleaning up recordings + software are critical links in something like this.

24bit AIFF/WAV are a given

Critical but not essential, and for those who aren't aware of it, it's not exactly a "given" either. You don't need "expensive D/A converters" or "tons of knowledge", just an awareness of how to do it. You can either pay for the services or do it yourself. You could run a turntable through an old Pioneer receiver and get similar, if not better, results, depending on the condition of the equipment.

Getting away from what makes a good hi-resolution vinyl transfer, here's a place that offers their services:
    http://studio.egm.cc/index.html

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Not looking for SACD or HD cd, but definitely need top notch signal path and A/D, and really, a nice looking gear list and references to give our customers, so they can feel good about pumping these transfers through their audiophile setups....

Yoigotbeats, pm sent....

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If audio restoration is at all an issue, you need someone with the CEDAR Cambridge system, and there aren't many people with those in the world. I use Graham Newton in Toronto, and he's absolutely fantastic (and less expensive than anyone you'll find in the States). PM me if you want more info.

Not looking for SACD or HD cd, but definitely need top notch signal path and A/D, and really, a nice looking gear list and references to give our customers, so they can feel good about pumping these transfers through their audiophile setups....

Yoigotbeats, pm sent....

Sending you a PM