I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Leaving Sunday with the famalam for full on Disney fun. I'm pretty juiced. Any Strutters been as a parent or a child? I was there when I was 8 months.. but that doesn't really count. Discuss.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I went in 4th grade. Helluva lot better than Disneyland. Try to get out to one of those all-you-can eat seafood buffet joints in Orlando.

• If you want to ride Space Mountain, but don't give a shit about the parade???go immediately when the parade starts. It takes like 10 minutes instead of over an hour

• Helluva lot better than Disneyland.

REMOVE YOUR MOUTH

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Space Mountain
    Disney Burgers with Mickey Buns
    and put some disney ketchup on your disney fries...

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I live here in Orlando. Your coming at as great time of year. The place won't be as crowded as it would during peak season. The weather should be perfect too. You should invest in a park hopper pass so yu can hit up Epcot, Mgm Studios, and Animal Kingdom (never been their). Mgm has the Tower of Terror and Rock and Roller Coaster. The only 2 rides that are really fun for adults. If you ride Tower of Terror try and get in the jump seat, the one with the just a lap belt. The Toy Story ride at Magic Kingdom is another one you can't miss.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I took my daughters (7,3 and 10 months) when the mid-kid turned 3 in 2006. The look in her eyes once we got there was worth the price of admission. When we finally found Ariel and she took her pic w/ the mermaid she was on cloud 9. Def good times for the family. Keep in mind I can not stand that place, but we had a great time. my oldest has been there 8+ times so the magic is def gone, but she still seems to always walk out w/ some kind of disney paraphernalia.

My biggest gripe is the pricing. Bottled water for $4...

We pack sandwiches, bottled water and snacks for the kids in the diaper bag. Even after the Florida residents or 3 day pass rebates that place is TAXED!

We are planning to go again this year when the youngest is closer to 3.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Been there a few times over the years....when my kids were young(under 10) they loved the place....as they got older they preferred this http://www.universalorlando.com/usf_index.html?s_kwcid=universal%20studios|1049499061

But even the MickyD's in Orlando is a kid's paradise and your family should have a blast.....ask around about the "all you can eat" joints....some of them are downright nasty.

Make sure you plan on being at Disney after dark if the kids can stay awake...the parade is pretty cool.

And on a final note....be careful about where you stay....Orlando has a bad crime problem with tourists being the usual victims.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Helluva lot better than Disneyland.

REMOVE YOUR MOUTH

HAHA, I stand by my words. Especially with that new California Adventure doo doo.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Maybe I just didn't find the real Orlando raer stash but the best record spots there are the fleas for sure. Oh and had a couple nice Jamaican score at a One Stop.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just heard they did a 30 mil upgrade to the Haunted mansion. New Carpets, New Effects, including an MC Escher style room. Make sure to check that one out after dark.

- spidey

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I just heard they did a 30 mil upgrade to the Haunted mansion. New Carpets, New Effects, including an MC Escher style room. Make sure to check that one out after dark.

- spidey

WHAT !!!! an update on the Haunted Mansion ????? Oh snap....my wife and I will now have to go back. I don't know if I am happy you told us that, or if I am mad on behalf of my wallet.

Honestly though, park hopper pass is indeed so necessary. Flying around to catch it all if you can, is a goal worth reaching for.

MGM STUDIOS is also great. Don't miss that if you can help it.

Also, Fireworks at both Disney and Epcot are not to be missed. Especially Epcot in my opinion. Not your average holiday colors in the sky. Epcot show is quite beautiful. My wife cried a bit, and I may have possibly, slightly and very delicately shed one of my own.

Have a great time.......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Went to Disneyworld as a kid...and probably enjoyed Circus World better. Is that still open out there? I doubt it...but damn, it was good.

• I went to Disney World as a fifth grader and remember thinking that the rides weren't as good as the ones at Disneyland. I remember Pirates of the Carribean having only one dip or something. I'm sure they've changed all that.

I went to Disneyland as a high school graduate and went on some of the smaller rides (mr toad's wild ride, etc.) and was like "holy shit, this thing is just a bunch of crappy painted plywood cut outs.

It's definitely a place for kids, but I can see it being enjoyable to bring your own kids to. Maybe a headache too.

• There about a year ago and here is my 2 cents...it can get boring the longer you are there and I also strongly agree it is really for the children (like Wu), but something you should def experience nonetheless. Towards the last couple of days, when we started revisiting parks, it was like 'get me the fuck out of here'...

While they are basic, I tended to enjoy the more old skool/original rides the most for the cheese-factor, the countries rides in Epcot were great for this (Mexico was perfect with dated video projections of Aztecs and rainbows, but I think they just redid it before last summer and modernized, also check the Maelstrom in Norway)...China has a great store...Thought Magic Kingdom was least interesting except for Tomarrowland...For the newer rides I was a big fan of Soarin' in Epcot, and at MGM/Holywood Studios Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster--although nothing too special just a roller coaster, the night show in MGM Fantasmic was good also. I ride very hard for the 50's Prime Time Cafe also in the MGM, and ate there ever chance I had.

• (the Maelstrom in Norway)

= my schitt

I have to say though classic DisneyLand is the best.

There is no Matterhorn in Florida.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Funny that you posted this...I seriously considered going to Disneyworld this week! I was in need of a getaway trip to get my head right (bad week) and as it turns out, M*rs is recording out there all week. Our annual Disneyland trip is long overdue so it was perfect timing...almost. I slept on Southwest's $99 special and the ticket prices jumped to $500! Sheeeeeeeeit.

Oh well, I'll make the trip soon enough. My ex-turned-other best friend has worked for Disney 7-8 years now. Started with the college program BITD and now she trains new "cast members." I have a couch to sleep on and a car to use plus she gets me in the park for free, all I need is a plane ticket and spending money. (Never burn bridges, kids!)

I'm a ghey ass giddy lil' man when it comes to Disney parks. It's most definitely a high for me. I hope you have time to see all the parks. I can do both Animal Kingdom and Epcot in one day, but the kids will want/need to see it all. Take advantage of the Fast Pass system. You can only do it one ride at a time, but if you plan it properly, you'll be able to do a lot more in a shorter amount of time. Animal Kingdom has a new-ish roller coaster called Expedition Everest that is OUT OF CONTROL (well, by Disney standards). It may be too crazy for the kids, but I highly recommend it. Also, make sure you make time for the shows. They're entertaining enough for all ages. The Aladdin one was real funny and very timely too. There were references made to current events that had just happened within the week! Fantasmic is a MUST SEE. It's only at night, probably around closing this time of year. It's a good idea to plan out your days beforehand so you can end your days in the right parks for parades, fireworks, etc.

If you and the Mrs. don't mind riding solo a few times on the more adult coasters, take advantage of the Baby Swap via the Single Rider line. Single riders ALWAYS get on faster. You stay behind with the kids while Mrs Mahal rides. After the ride, you switch places. Simple as that.

Disney catches a lot of shit (understandably so) for being like every other greedy corporation, but I truly believe that the park experience is magical. The customer service, the character/kids interaction...they really go out of their way to make the guests truly enjoy their visit. At all levels too: the park sweeper/custodians' primary job is to provide directions, THEN sweep the park.

HoLmes, I can talk about this all day. I usually go to a Disney park 2-3 times a year. For real, for real. Any other questions you have or advice you need, just ask. I'm getting excited just typing this up! *PASUE* Anyways, I'll probably add more to this thread as I think about it. One of my goals in life is to make enough money to treat all my family & friends and their children to a Disney vacation.

Thes:
    Are you really a Club 33 member?! M*rs and I looked into it but it's a $10k registration fee! Plus some ridiculous annual fee. Tell me more!

Raj:
    If you go record shopping, hit up thee infamous ChaseCrusher. He lives like an hour away and is always looking for an excuse to ditch work.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    (the Maelstrom in Norway)

you are not the first to pass this way.....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I went as a teen way back when. I actually remember Disneyworld as being smaller than Disneyland like the streets were narrorwer, etc. They did have all those water rides out front which is completely different.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the womanhood is off the MEATRACK at Disneyworld, son! i seen about 100 miss brazil argentina south america lookin' dimepieces errrday i was there last summer. other than that, fuck disney world and i'll never go there again