Straight outta Compton =20 years old

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
heavy

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Now, I'm not about to knock a man for trying to get paid, but if somebody had said to me in '88 that, in twenty years, O'Shea Jackson would have gone from this...

to this...

...I'd have had a lot of trouble believing them.

• That makes me feel old !!!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    ... and still

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    its now older than the drums were when they were sampled for it. if you see what i mean.

is it really? now that is sorta crazy.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Now, I'm not about to knock a man for trying to get paid, but if somebody had said to me in '88 that, in twenty years, O'Shea Jackson would have gone from this...

to this...

i feel what you are saying, but ice cube is still a badass.

• wordup

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wordup

I'm surprised you would post that crap!

• hilarious and catchy in a folksy way

i would love to see dre and cubes initial reaction

• wordup

i believe thats the OG honey kettle at the 1:48 mark

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

to this...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising Cube for "selling out" - even if he has, that's a matter between him and his conscience anyway. I just think it's an interesting and surprising path his career's followed. Of all the rappers who've gone down that route, Cube is surely the most unlikely success of all. There's a real "American Dream" aspect (in the best sense of the term) to his career - ironic when you consider that, 20 years ago, he was the embodiment of the Angry Young Black Man.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Back when Alpine car stereos were king.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Saba was at the oakland coliseum NWA concert the night the Berkeley Hills burned down in 1991.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

to this...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising Cube for "selling out" - even if he has, that's a matter between him and his conscience anyway. I just think it's an interesting and surprising path his career's followed. Of all the rappers who've gone down that route, Cube is surely the most unlikely success of all. There's a real "American Dream" aspect (in the best sense of the term) to his career - ironic when you consider that, 20 years ago, he was the embodiment of the Angry Young Black Man.

I definitely agree. I do think Cube sold out, but I'm not the slightest bit mad at him for that. Dude has nothing left to prove in hip-hop, his track record is unfadeable, and he's got more classics under his belt than damn near anybody. He just isn't hungry anymore, and why would he be? If he wants to go make "family" movies now, more power to him.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Back when Alpine car stereos were king.

ohhh shit!

that album was like a kick in the face. that and it takes a nation changed my white suburban other side of the planet life forever.

20 years ago...

damn.

some great Frickin' memories attached to that album.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

to this...

I definitely agree. I do think Cube sold out, but I'm not the slightest bit mad at him for that. Dude has nothing left to prove in hip-hop, his track record is unfadeable, and he's got more classics under his belt than damn near anybody. He just isn't hungry anymore, and why would he be? If he wants to go make "family" movies now, more power to him.

How did cube sell out?
    The man is pushing 40 almost so he's not suppose to mature.
    I remember when he did tracks that were filled with rage. Check Death Certificate!!
    So, Cube was suppose to just stay a rapper and wonder how he would take care of his family. Everyone knows rappin' no longer pays the bills.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

to this...

How did cube sell out?
    The man is pushing 40 almost so he's not suppose to mature.
    I remember when he did tracks that were filled with rage. Check Death Certificate!!
    So, Cube was suppose to just stay a rapper and wonder how he would take care of his family. Everyone knows rappin' no longer pays the bills.

Ice Cube isnt a "sell out". U dummmies though he was a "real" banger from the gitty up got bamboozled.

I saw some 20th anniversary vinyl release for SOCompton recently. It looked wack.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I recently heard Del wrote Straight Out of Compton. Can anyone confirm this?

• I recently heard Del wrote Straight Out of Compton. Can anyone confirm this?

dude that's not the half. he also wrote the Friday script. on shrooms.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    they should release either a remix version of SOC..like get some of the illest cunts out now to do a track each.and/or an instrumental version...

all new skool gangsta rappers should study that LP and realise gangstas need HARD beats to rap over, not this new age synth shit they got going....

ahhh 20 years on and the start of SOC still gets me g'eed up...

I bet every muthafucker here still remmbers the verses word for word... (I do...)

although maybe im getting soft like cube in my old age cus that folk version was nice.... hehehe

• some of the illest cunts

That wouldn't be hard to find.

no JPEGs please

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    an example of an ill cunt!

Help Tha Police

• like batmon said, that means you fell for cubes 1st acting roll...

fools been an actor since day one, i hope he's gettin paid...

He went to High School in the valley (Woodland Hills) with my ex girlfriend.

tazafactoid

• and everybody knows it was Easy that encouraged him to write gangsta lyrics. Even grandma.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    an example of an ill cunt!

Help Tha Police

I'll take that vid over that folky NWA cover.

• they should release either a remix version of SOC..like get some of the illest cunts out now to do a track each.and/or an instrumental version...

This is never a good idea, regardless of what you mean by "illest cunts".

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    y'all know that dude is an aussie right?

• its now older than the drums were when they were sampled for it. if you see what i mean.

this is a very scary though. i can remember thinking at the time of straight outta compton that groups like fat boys and whodini sounded ancient and it was only 5 yrs prior. peace, stein. . .

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I've never owned that record as i don't like it.....

I loved their early stuff with Arabian Prince especially "panic zone" though.