DJ Shadow+Cut Chemist = Hard Sell

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Is that record any good?? Cuz they're here in Montreal on tuesday and I'm not 100% convinced about it yet....any sites were I can listen to it?

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Is that record any good?? Cuz they're here in Montreal on tuesday and I'm not 100% convinced about it yet....
    any sites were I can listen to it?

I can send it to you, but it's pretty horrible.

- spidey

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    wow, I was expecting good reactions from people...is it anything like Brainfreeze??

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    wow, I was expecting good reactions from people...is it anything like Brainfreeze??

To my ears they are still playing musical games, still linking things that either match or don't (probably the emphasis of The Hard Sell[/b]), and are still having fun with delivering their variations of their "Lesson 5". The doo-wop section, the recreation of "Potholes In My Lawn", and the vocalized "Dark Days" are my favorite parts, although the part with the goofy cover versions is cool too.

Don't take it as being a follow-up, but rather continued explorations of record nerd-ism at its best.

I like it, if that's of any value.

• I think hearing it on the actual CD (not live bootleg) is better than seeing/hearing this show in person. I had more appreciation for it. Totally not worth the 35$+ to see them 2 do this set. Definitely something different than BF and PP, though.

• Saw the NYC show at Irving Plaza last night. They do just about everything that can be done with 45s, 4 turntables each and effects pedals. Oh, and a couple of GP3's with shoulder straps. The records are all over the place, don't go in expecting Brainfreeze III. My favorite was "Stairway to Gilligan's Island". Cut Chemist had a "wrist cam" that made for dope visuals on the background screen. I think they do some extra stuff in the live show that's not in the cd.
    Ran into Delay, Dreskiboogie, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

• Caught the show here in DC last week, it was dope. Mingering came with me and Koala gave a big shoutout to him during his set which was cool. Mike was straight up mesmerized by the whole thing. Also got to hang out with all of them afterwards, very chill dudes.

That Metallica thing they did with the GP3s was nuts!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

That Metallica thing they did with the GP3s was nuts!

Can someone describe this in detail?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I was thoroughly impressed. those dude always take it to some level i didnt know existed. the psychedelic part with the drilled adapters just made my mind explode.

soulstrut was running that VIP section.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If nothing else, even if you don't dig the music so much, there really isn't anyone else doing sets like this and taking it to that other level, and you've got to respect that.

That said with those dudes collections they could do Brainfreeze 3-9 and I'd be happy and buy all the mixes.

Hopefully I'll make it out to the Bay Area show. The sound at the venue is awful though.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    it's pretty horrible.

I'd still like to see them live though.

• I was entertained the whole time trying to figure what was going on with 4 mixers and 8 turntables and some really cool visuals. I didnt like all the music but it was impressive as technical as it is.

Soulstrut most def ran the VIP. S...., really good to meet you again. 4 years passed like

Peace,

Dress

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    went to the philly show on friday and really enjoyed it. what it really comes down to is dj/music appreciation - the time, skill, and vision it takes to put something like that together is beyond my comprehension. and there were still plenty of what's that? moments.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    went to the philly show on friday and really enjoyed it. what it really comes down to is dj/music appreciation - the time, skill, and vision it takes to put something like that together is beyond my comprehension. and there were still plenty of what's that? moments.

Going next month when they come to southern california... looking forward to it

• i think shadow and cut chemist have put in work to move the live turntable session forward.
    i will not pay 35 bucks to watch some dj/producer sit up there and mix records from his laptop
    borrrriiinnggg
    but it seems like shadow and cut chemist understand that there must be a live element and the live element is the vital key in making or breaking a show.
    give the people some dope visuals and push buttons in front of them and they will eat cake from your hands.
    besides ever single time i have seen dj shadow he has destroyed the show , i mean he really layed it out and left everything behind.
    he is a good artist and the chances to catch him live may be growing smaller with each tour so i would take it up.
    peace

• i think shadow and cut chemist have put in work to move the live turntable session forward.

agreed. i haven't seen this show, but these dudes put in work and the outcome is worth it. When I saw Shadow's Keepintime tour on the first go around I was pretty blown away. i was definitely more into that sound at the time, but he managed to work all of his music together and basically make another album that was just as good. It was pretty impressive.

• That Metallica thing they did with the GP3s was nuts!

Can someone describe this in detail?

Kind of hard for me to describe since I'm not really sure what the hell they were doing (my view wasn't so great), but basically Cut Chemist was playing the guitar part of a Metallica song by scratching on the GP3.

"chink-chinka-chink-chinkachinkachink-chinka-chink.."

It was awesome.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

thanks

and this is great.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Ruin it!!!

Want to listen, but don't want to ruin the experience. Can someone say Spoiler Alert!

• that's weak yo.

• that's weak yo.

pat you're avatar is so fitting. You've got a grumpy cloud over your head.

• Thanks for the link. I was going to have to either actually buy the album or go catch their live show to check it out, but this makes things a LOT easier

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

that's weak yo.

This is in print and available for PURCHASE... take it down yo.

• that's weak yo.

pat you're avatar is so fitting. You've got a grumpy cloud over your head.

haha. another winner.

C'mon Tommy! Do I have to explain this one? What if they uploaded you're next mix-cd or 7 inch? I would be PISSED if I caught someone giving away a non-free mix/release of mine or my dudes.

Listen to some soundclips or read the damn review. This is like going to costco, opening the food, and eating the shit on the spot instead of trying the samples provided by those nice little old ladies.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Buy the damn thing you fools.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    saw it when they came through the hollywood bowl last summer and will be checking it again at the wiltern in a couple weeks

wonder if there "only have eyes for you" routine was special for summer at the bowl or if that's at all their shows...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

that's hip hop yo.

• C'mon Tommy! Do I have to explain this one? What if they uploaded you're next mix-cd or 7 inch? I would be PISSED if I caught someone giving away a non-free mix/release of mine or my dudes.

Listen to some soundclips or read the damn review. This is like going to costco, opening the food, and eating the shit on the spot instead of trying the samples provided by those nice little old ladies.

oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the mix was weak. I am right there with you. I've never been able to understand why people feel so compelled to put things up (even when nobody asks for it). Especially blogs that are dedicated to nothing but this...all new hip hop releases. no reviews or "I love this shit" just straight up rapidshare and image of the artwork. Is it the same thing as dudes on XXL blogs getting that "yo, first bitches" in the comment section even though their comment says nothing about the article mentioned. Gotta get some "I got first" props.

I'm with you. I thought you were poo-pooing the mix. Misunderstanding.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The CD does not do it a bit of justice. go see the show. totally worth it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

C'mon Tommy! Do I have to explain this one? What if they uploaded you're next mix-cd or 7 inch? I would be PISSED if I caught someone giving away a non-free mix/release of mine or my dudes.

oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the mix was weak. I am right there with you. I've never been able to understand why people feel so compelled to put things up (even when nobody asks for it). Especially blogs that are dedicated to nothing but this...all new hip hop releases. no reviews or "I love this shit" just straight up rapidshare and image of the artwork. Is it the same thing as dudes on XXL blogs getting that "yo, first bitches" in the comment section even though their comment says nothing about the article mentioned. Gotta get some "I got first" props.

I'm with you. I thought you were poo-pooing the mix. Misunderstanding.

im glad i got to hear it right away. however im among the few that will probably end up purchasing this now.