Record Fair beef strut (VR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Alright, it feels like every time I go to a record fair these days (Sydney heads know what's up if I say Parramatta) I am pushed closer and closer to the brink of record fair violence. These old motherfuckers treat you like cause you're young they can walk all over you. None of these fools have any manners - you know what I'm talking about: jostling and bumping into you, reaching over you to flip through records right in front of where you're looking, generally getting in the way or having no respect for personal space. Last fair a dude in his 40s started that and I just said, 'Frickin' wait' and he just walked away. I'm telling you though, sooner or later I'm gonna get physical like Olivia Newton.Anyone got any violence/beef-related record fair stories?

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Not at a fair, just digging at a market stall, some tiny Indonesian guy starts elbowing me, im twice his size so i think its funny and laugh and say "easy tiger".

Dude completely flips, throws his bag off, screams "YOU FUCKER"!!!! and takes a swing!?!

I have never seen anything like it, he was like a little angry mosquito, i just laughed, it was so funny, he starts on about how my mother is a whore and i am a rude fuck who will die of AIDS (!?!) that just made me laugh harder and eventually the stall holder shooed him away.

People tell me i should have hit him, but there just would have been no sport; he really was a tiny little man.

Surreal, he was so small, his fuse was so short and the chip he was carrying, so damn big.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    It's funny how records seems to bring dudes like that out of the woodwork!

Sounds like you handled it proper.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    wfmu = annual fishfight (pizza joe in one blow related)

the count = once he was threatened 3 times by three different people with serious offers of knuckle samwichs at the arbutis fair (once at ye old roosevelt he got security & within moments they sided against him)

21st century records + rare 12" + any one else digging = major beef

the scented one - look at his stax wrong & kung fu or mafia rub outs will be threatened

f with big ray & flesh will be pressed & serious beatdown is in the future

but

the best/most serious violence occurred at book sales with records & estate sales
    ripped shirt, hip check, slap fight & tossed in the bushes related)

• Not at a fair, just digging at a market stall, some tiny Indonesian guy starts elbowing me, im twice his size so i think its funny and laugh and say "easy tiger".

Dude completely flips, throws his bag off, screams "YOU FUCKER"!!!! and takes a swing!?!

I have never seen anything like it, he was like a little angry mosquito, i just laughed, it was so funny, he starts on about how my mother is a whore and i am a rude fuck who will die of AIDS (!?!) that just made me laugh harder and eventually the stall holder shooed him away.

People tell me i should have hit him, but there just would have been no sport; he really was a tiny little man.

Surreal, he was so small, his fuse was so short and the chip he was carrying, so damn big.

Bruce Lee wasn't very big either man....watch out for those little dudes.

• Ever had those, mostly older, dudes who stick their hands in the same crate as the one you are going through? You are going from front to back and they start in the back.
    That really pisses me off.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Ever had those, mostly older, dudes who stick their hands in the same crate as the one you are going through? You are going from front to back and they start in the back.

Unforgivable bitchmove.

That, more than anything else makes my blood boil.

(Unless its Bruce Lee)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    We had a local dealer here back in the early 90's who would drink a little too much at the show and got into some scrapes as a result.

My brother and I dubbed him Bozo because of the amazingly bright and colorful Hawaiian shirts dude would wear.

Once in Oklahoma he was drunk before the show opened!!

He was banned from the show as a result and got out of the record game.

Last we heard he was a used Gun dealer!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    None of these fools have any manners - you know what I'm talking about: jostling and bumping into you, reaching over you to flip through records right in front of where you're looking, generally getting in the way or having no respect for personal space.

this is where having room-clearing BO comes in handy...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    21st century-digging + rare records+ in my way +major Frickin' pussy who is permanently shook=I ALMOST CRUSHED THAT BITCH LIKE A PACK OF CIGARETTES.

he stays the fuck out of my way now and just buys whole collections on site so no one else gets them.

one day KKKARMA will catch his know it all ass

one motherfucking day

I gonna send Johhny DISKKKO FAGGOT BITCH 6 feet under or to the emergency room
    everything that honky cunt buys go up for sale
    hes only in it for the $$$$$$
    no culture,no mixes,no disco comps or club nights ,just pure GREED

he fucked with you T???

FUK THAT KKKUNT

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

he fucked with you T???

never that
    but
    i've seen his back of the crate reach around get called
    many times
    english mike had 3 guys holding him back from doing major damage to disco bwoy
    +
    he got stinky the ban from 2nd saturday jersey show for push & slap fight

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Speaking as an old dude. You kiddies are soft and fun to push around. If I finish looking at my crate and your in the next one you better move on cause it's mine now.

Besides I nearly choke to death next to you guys with your soap and deodorant. That ain't no way to dig. You all are a bunch of wusses.

Asprin and I got thrown out of and banned from a Portland record show. And you know how confrontational we are. We've done our show almost a dozen times and the only person we ever had to talk to was the dj when he freaked out and took his shirt off and started dancing. But we don't get many old dudes.

A number of years ago the library had a giant sale where they selling off their furniture, books and all their records. It was a mad house, people were pressed together like sound into an mp3. My buddy Jumbo pulled a hot record (something on Strata East?) some guy grabs it runs into the crowd. Uniformed security standing right there. Jumbo tells security and the guy starts yelling at Jumbo about his son, who is standing there behaving himself like he always does.

Dude - that was crazy to read. How many different personalities are speaking ni this post?

• you know what I'm talking about: jostling and bumping into you, reaching over you to flip through records right in front of where you're looking, generally getting in the way or having no respect for personal space.
    Reminds me of the Record Surplus sales. Fools would get a pass from other people for doing that shit on account of the sale, but I almost flipped on someone for doing that shit. Very disrespectful.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My buddy Jumbo pulled a hot record (something on Strata East?) some guy grabs it runs into the crowd. Uniformed security standing right there. Jumbo tells security and the guy starts yelling at Jumbo about his son, who is standing there behaving himself like he always does.

Speaking of Jumbo, I met the dude a couple months back when they were here for a show. Real nice guy. I namedropped "Dan from JumpJump" and he was like "oh word?!" We kicked it the rest of the night while I procured digital raers from his tour DJ (my boy...shit, EVERYBODY'S boy, DV One).

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Now have you ever seen people grab records and throw them everywhere. I'm tempted to beat some ass. Respect my records!!

• Also highly annoying....
    Dudes who take ages to go through a crate and when they are done they start all over again from the front. Like they could have missed something. Taking out some Count Basie record and staring at it like they have never seen one before.
    Usually when you ask if they are done, they fuck off.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Bay Area heads know all about a certain guy named Larry. I will pay for a steak dinner for the first one of us who takes him to the floor at a record show.

Also if the one smelly bootleg DVD seller who broke our window comes back to sell he is not getting in the door unless he brings at least five Jamiroquoi posters.

Really though, it's all about making friends at record swaps. I mean where else are you going to run into a grip of collectors and dealers, some of whom might have great taste and some good stuff to trade? I've run into a lot of people and tried to talk records and gotten the gasface, which I never understand.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yall need to find your inner Latrell Sprewell and threaten to choke muhfuckas in a manner that they know there is a great possibility you are serious. Or do pushups with Ironfeet.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Honestly it's one of the most annoying places to be. Usually because I had to dj the night b4 and have only had an hour of sleep if that! Then in my area it's about 90% old crusty jerk offs that are only there for "Floyd & the Stones". The only records worth any value according to them. They all literally have a race to the newest box that comes through the door and it's totally ridiculous and looks like a rabbit walked into a wolf pack that hasn't eaten for two weeks. Is it really that serious? The best part for me is that MOST of them actually leave the dope records behind! With the exception of a certain "Psych" dealer that seems to pull anything dope that was there. The kicker is when you ask him to sell it to you he says he has to call "Josh" 1st! We all know who "Josh" is around here. There is one dealer that has the shittiest records priced at $25 and up and anything he has never heard of is worthless because just that, NO ONE knows it or has heard of it so it must be shitty!!! Perfect. Major heat for $1 thank you.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Another thing that pisses me off is when dealers will hang up all the heat on display but when you ask "How much" for something "It's not for sale just for show"! Wtf?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Speaking as an old dude. You kiddies are soft and fun to push around. If I finish looking at my crate and your in the next one you better move on cause it's mine now.

Besides I nearly choke to death next to you guys with your soap and deodorant. That ain't no way to dig. You all are a bunch of wusses.
    ^^^^ Joke

Asprin and I got thrown out of and banned from a Portland record show. And you know how confrontational we are. We've done our show almost a dozen times and the only person we ever had to talk to was the dj when he freaked out and took his shirt off and started dancing. But we don't get many old dudes.
    ^^^^ Truth

A number of years ago the library had a giant sale where they selling off their furniture, books and all their records. It was a mad house, people were pressed together like sound into an mp3. My buddy Jumbo pulled a hot record (something on Strata East?) some guy grabs it runs into the crowd. Uniformed security standing right there. Jumbo tells security and the guy starts yelling at Jumbo about his son, who is standing there behaving himself like he always does.
    ^^^^ Story about a friend

Herm, isn't Rev Shines the tour dj?

• Alright, I know exactly what you're talking about and here's how I personally deal with these fools...Usually these shows are on the weekend and since I have substance abuse problems I probably had a bit to drink the night before. So if one of these fools steps in my digging space I drop a thick cloud of stanking ass bombs with no hesitation, usually it overwelms tham and I act like nothing happened. Aside from this mean mugging can be affective!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Ever had those, mostly older, dudes who stick their hands in the same crate as the one you are going through? You are going from front to back and they start in the back.

Why go from front to back?

Start from the back and your arms cover the rest of the crate.

Funny how so many of the comments are aimed at older dudes. Seems like some of the younger fellows need to up their crate protection game.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    some guy grabs it runs into the crowd

My bad.

• Ever had those, mostly older, dudes who stick their hands in the same crate as the one you are going through? You are going from front to back and they start in the back.

Funny how so many of the comments are aimed at older dudes. Seems like some of the younger fellows need to up their crate protection game.

I'm one of the 'older' dudes I suppose. With older I meant those 50+ autistic types you get at fairs ever so often.
    I have been going through crates like this from day one. Works best for me.
    As for those cratehijackers...I gently but surely elbow them out of my way.

• in portland the record collectors are all too stoned for violence or getting up before noon
    so theres never any problems

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Herm, isn't Rev Shines the tour dj?

Not on this particular tour (Ozomatli). Not sure why, though.

--------------------------

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    thats why its always good to keep a coup-le of silent but deadly farts stored in the old gut... anyone starts getting too close or too comfy...just drop it like its hot...and reclaim your spot.

Im lucky I got long arms and bony elbows which I can use well enough to keep a distance.

My beef is fuckers that aint even diggers who see you at the crates and come over and start flicking thru shit out of curiosity. hate them cunts.

Or the old Ashwoods (Sydney) when they had 3 'levels' of crates. you'd be digging in the top level and some dude would get down to llok at the crate on the bottom floor, sorta awkards, having a dudes head a few cm from you balls...hard to focus... If it was a chick...no probs, but nothing sexy about a junky washed up punk rocker within bozack range!!!

By hey Kinetic, you got your army of diggers to worry about that shit nowdays hey....!!

Dude!

I dunno what you're talking about!