Soul Struts top 200 songs of the 60's

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited January 2018 in Strut Central
I just spent about 2 minutes over at Pitchfork media and came across this list called Top 200 greatest songs of the 60's. I hate lists like this. Always a bunch of BULLSHIT. This list actually wasn't too bad, however personally I only can get down with about 14% of it. I was wondering what kind of list the Soul Strutters would come up with.

So the rules are:1. You can list as many songs as you like2. I'm only allowing 1 song per artist, no exceptions. I guess if most people don't like this rule. We can just get rid of it. Easy.3. If there is a dispute between an artist on someone lists we'll take a quick 3 count vote on the song that should be on the list.For example, Jimi's Castles made of sand is on the list.So, i'll say instead it should beJimi Hendrix - Purple Haze so we'll take whatever song gets to 3 +1's first.If you wanted to vote for just say Purple haze +1. I'll keep a quick tally. So if a dispute gets heated, I'll take the song with the most votes.2. The list should get filled pretty quickly so just post the songs you think are the weakest on the list like this *Can - Uphill or Can - Uphill -1. That'll be a neg count for a song. **3 or more negs will remove a song from the list. You have to name the song, and *optional* the reason why it should be on the list. Mindgarden classics welcome, fucka sold a million records, Rolling stones GARBAGE. Soul Strut's top 200 songs of the 60's.1 Stevie Wonder - I Was Made to Love Her[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Place in the Sun[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Hey love[color:red]+ 1[/color]2 CAN - Uphill3 Galt MacDermot - Coffee Cold4 Giles, giles & fripp - why don't you just drop in5 Silver Apples- Program6 The Supremes- Reflections7 Ray Barretto - The Soul Drummer8 Solomon Burke - Home in Your Heart9 Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead10 Impressions - I Wonder[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Keep on Pushin[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Mighty Mighty[color:red]+ 1[/color]11 Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made Of Sand12 Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata13 Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa14 Dave Brubeck - Take 515 Miles Davis - So What16 Cannonball Adderley - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy17 Jr Wells - Snatch It Back18 Carla Thomas - BABY19 James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up[color:red]+ 2[/color]/Dark End of the Street[color:red]+ 2[/color]20 MC 5 - Kick Out The Jams21 Thirteenth Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me22 Dave Dudley - Six Days On The Road23 Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me 24 Dyke & the Blazers - Funky Broadway25 Davie Allan & the Arrows - Blue's Theme26 ? & the Mysterians - 96 Tears27 Aaron Neville - Tell It Like It Is28 Wendy Rene - After Laughter Comes Tears29 Meters - Cissy Strut30 Lee Dorsey - Get Out Of My Life, Woman [color:red]+ 2[/color] 31 Barbara Lynn - You'll lose a good thing32 The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset33 Al Johnson - Carnival Time34 Professor Longhair - Big Chief35 Gilberto Gil - 200136 Caetano Veloso - Alfomega37 Gal Costa - Tuareg[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Baby[color:red]+ 1[/color] 38 Eddie Bo - From this day on39 France Gall - Laisse Tomber Les Filles40 Arthur Conely - Sweet soul Music41 Francoise Hardy - Le Bonheur Du Jour42 The Birds - No good without you baby43 Nazz - Open My Eyes44 Heptones - Baby45 Marcia Griffiths - Feel Like Jumping46 Ken Boothe and Stranger Cole - Artibella47 Rufus Thomas - Memphis Train48 Jimmy mcgriff - the worm49 Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come[color:red]+ 2[/color] 50 Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused51 John Coltrane - A Love Supreme[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Alabama[color:red]+ 1[/color]52 Nat Kendricks & the Swans - Mashed Potatoes53 Sam and Dave - Soul man[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Wrap It Up[color:red]+ 1[/color]54 Barbara Mason - Yes I'm ready55 Tommy James - Crimson & Clover [color:red]+ 1[/color][color:green]- 1[/color]56 Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need To Get By57 Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang58 Ben E. King - Stand By Me59 Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman60 James Brown and the Famous Flames - I'll Go Crazy[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Cold Sweat[color:red]+ 1[/color]61 James Brown and the Dapps - I Can't Stand Myself62 James Brown - It's A Mans World[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Give it up or turnit a loose[color:red]+ 1[/color]63 Irma Thomas Ruler Of My Heart[color:red]+ 1[/color]/It's Raining[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Time Is on My Side[color:red]+ 1[/color]64 Booker t and the mg's - hip hug her65 The Dapps - bringing up the guitar66 The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog67 Nick Drake - River Man68 Van Morrison - Astral Weeks69 Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil70 Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay71 The Left Bank - My Friend Today72 Isaac Hayes - Walk On By73 Martha & the Vandellas - Nowhere to Run74 Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Tracks of My Tears75 Wilson Pickett - In the Midnight Hour76 Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone77 The Velvet Underground - Heroin[color:red]+ 1[/color]/Waiting for the man[color:red]+ 1[/color]78 The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back79 Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man80 Neil Diamond - Girl You'll be a woman Soon [color:red]+ 1[/color][color:green]- 1[/color]81 Frank Zappa - Peaches en Regalia82 Marlena Shaw - California Soul83 Tony Basil - I'm 2884 Patsy Cline - Crazy85 Association - Never My Love86 Brenton Wood - Gimme a Little Sign87 Al Green - Back Up Train88 Cream - Sunshine of Your Love89 Barbara lewis - hello stranger90 Barbara George - I Know91 The Wailers - It Hurts to Be Alone92 Hopeton Lewis - Take It Easy93 The Flames - Broadway Jungle94 Skatalites - Guns of the Navarone 95 brenton wood - gimme little sign96 the shirelles - baby its you97 Desires - Let it please be you98 Rosie & the Originals - Angel Baby99 Thee Midniters - Town I Live in100 Billy Stewart - Sitting in the Park101 Paul Ortiz & Orquesta Son - Tender Love102Etta James - At Last103 Jorge Ben - Mas Que Nada104 Electric Prunes - Holy are you105 El Gran Combo - La Muerte106 Beatles - I want you (she's so heavy)107 Focus 3 - 10,000 years behind my mind108 109 110 111 112 113114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200____________CAN
- Uphill
CAN is a no brainer for 60's Krautrock/psych. Pitchfork had Yoo doo right which is a pretty good jam, but not the best of the Mooney era. I personally think Uphill or Father Cannot Yell are truer to showing what Can does best. The first time I listened to Can was mindblowing, and couldn't believe the music I was hearing was from a band that started in 68 and recorded same year. This song is CAN doing what they do best during the Malcolm Mooney period. Admit it, nothing sounds like this. Stevie Wonder - I Was Made to Love HerArguably THE Stevie wonder song that started it all. Jamerson killing it on bass, if you don't feel this song you have no soul. period.- spidey*updated**added new rule* "**3 or more negs will remove a song from the list."

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Don't just hate on me being ambitious.

I honestly want to see people drop some Gems.

Post anything I will add it to the list.

Giles, giles & fripp - why don't you just drop in[/b]

Early King Crimson facemelter. Truly this is a Beatles Killer imo. Funky drums, great FUZZ guitar. How could you not love this gem.

Galt MacDermot - Coffee Cold[/b]

Arguably one of the finest early examples of funk. I will ride for this song until i'm dead.

- spidey

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    OK this is insane but I'll bite.

Silver Apples- Program
    Before there was Faust or Can or any of that German stuff (except The Monks but that's something else entirely), there was Silver Apples.

The Supremes- Reflections
    Before there was Silver Apples there was this song!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Silver Apples- Program
    Before there was Faust or Can or any of that German stuff, there was Silver Apples.

there was some silver-apple-ish german krautrock before silver apple, can or faust

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

**Ray Barretto - The Soul Drummers[/b]

Silver Apples- Program
    Before there was Faust or Can or any of that German stuff, there was Silver Apples.

there was some silver-apple-ish german krautrock before silver apple, can or faust

like what

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One Song per artist!?!?!?!? I could fill the list up with James Brown and Beatles songs. Most of these sold millions, and for good reason:

1) Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead
    2) Impressions - I Wonder
    3) Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made Of Sand
    4) Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata
    5) Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa
    6) Dave Brubeck - Take 5
    7) Miles Davis - So What
    8) Cannonball Adderley - Mercyx3
    9) Jr Wells - Snatch It Back
    10) Carla Thomas - BABY

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I intentionally didn't want to look at any of the other lists (including Pitchfork's) because I didn't want to be influenced, so if there are any repeats, that is why:

"Hot Smoke & Sassafrass" Bubble Puppy
    "Wang Dang Doodle," Koko Taylor
    "Did You See Her Eyes," Illusion
    "Soul Twist," King Curtis
    "Kick Out The Jams," MC 5
    "You've Got My Mind Messed Up," James Carr
    "You're Gonna Miss Me," Thirteenth Floor Elevators
    "Six Days On The Road," Dave Dudley
    "Nothing Can Stop Me," Gene Chandler
    "Funky Broadway," Dyke & the Blazers
    "Blue's Theme," Davie Allan & the Arrows
    "96 Tears," ? & the Mysterians

If you want any explanations, I'll hit you back later, but maybe you should ask us all for our indiviual 50 then combine 'em, 'cause I could come up with an entirely different list...(plus, I already feel bad about hogging 12 positions on the SS list as it is!)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

"Hot Smoke & Sassafrass" Bubble Puppy
    "Wang Dang Doodle," Koko Taylor
    "Did You See Her Eyes," Illusion
    "Soul Twist," King Curtis
    "Kick Out The Jams," MC 5
    "You've Got My Mind Messed Up," James Carr
    "You're Gonna Miss Me," Thirteenth Floor Elevators
    "Six Days On The Road," Dave Dudley
    "Nothing Can Stop Me," Gene Chandler
    "Funky Broadway," Dyke & the Blazers
    "Blue's Theme," Davie Allan & the Arrows
    "96 Tears," ? & the Mysterians

Would make a nice mix in itself. Why don't you do it?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I second

"Tell It Like It Is" and
    "You Got My Mind Messed Up"

and would add...

Wendy Rene "After Laughter Comes Tears"

Can I get an Aaron Neville - Tell It Like It Is[/b]?

That should be close to the top of anyone's[/b] list.

Close to the top of mine. Along with
    Meters Cissy Strut
    Lee Dorsey Get Out Of My Life, Woman
    Irma Thomas Ruler Of My Heart or It's Raining

• i noticed barbra lynn was missing from that list

If you want any explanations, I'll hit you back later, but maybe you should ask us all for our indiviual 50 then combine 'em, 'cause I could come up with an entirely different list...(plus, I already feel bad about hogging 12 positions on the SS list as it is!)

Explanations aren't necessary. I figure not alot of people are interested in something like this. So, the way this is going to work is, I'm going to post what everybody reccomends.

1. If there is a dispute between an artist on someone lists we'll take a quick 3 count vote on the song that should be on the list.

[For example, Jimi's Castles made of sand is on the list.

So, i'll say instead it should be

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

so we'll take whatever song gets to 3 +1's first.

if you wanted to vote for Purple haze just quote the post and say +1.

I'll keep a quick tally. So if a dispute gets heated, I'll take the song with the most votes.]

2. The list should get filled pretty quickly so just post the songs you think are the weakest on the list like this.

[For example, *Can - Uphill]

That'll be a neg count for a song.

I'll add this to the top for first time readers.

- spidey

i noticed barbra lynn was missing from that list

Irma Thomas Ruler Of My Heart or It's Raining

Which song?

- spidey

• i noticed barbra lynn was missing from that list

Which song?

- spidey

aptly titled "youll lose a good thing"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't neglect...Professor Longhair - Big Chief[/b]

Also, though I may be the only one...Al Johnson - Carnival Time[/b]

Mardi Gras has officially begun!!!

Also, though I may be the only one...Al Johnson - Carnival Time[/b]

Mardi Gras has officially begun!!!

Post a sound clip please.

Gilberto Gil - 2001[/b]

Instantly recognizable, Tropicalia Face melt.

Caetano Veloso - Alfomega[/b]

That groovy Brazillian jam. IMO, on par with some of the great gainsbourg tracks.

Gal Costa - Tuareg[/b]

Gal proved she was the most pscyhedelic of the tropicalia pioneers. This is an amazing song from her, groovy, indian influenced, psych.

Joao Gilberto - ??guas de Mar??o[/b]

Bossa from the originator.

- spidey

Post a sound clip please.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NEqHIIkY-w

- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No offense but what's up with this "one song per artist" bullshit? (I'm not mad, doggie, just making a point)

The 60s were defined by definitive ARTISTS as much as definitive songs so the fact that you'd have a list like this with ONE Aretha song or ONE James Brown song or ONE Beatles song, etc...

it makes no sense.

If you're going to do this list, then you gotta do it right and allow for multiple entries by a single artist/group. Otherwise, it's kind of meaningless as being representative of what people actually liked from the decade.

No offense but what's up with this "one song per artist" bullshit? (I'm not mad, doggie, just making a point)

The 60s were defined by definitive ARTISTS as much as definitive songs so the fact that you'd have a list like this with ONE Aretha song or ONE James Brown song or ONE Beatles song, etc...

it makes no sense.

If you're going to do this list, then you gotta do it right and allow for multiple entries by a single artist/group. Otherwise, it's kind of meaningless as being representative of what people actually liked from the decade.

Well O, like Laserwolf said it's very easy to fill the list with James Brown, and Beatles songs. If the goal was to just fill the slots. I really couldn't care less to deal with someones top 100 beatles songs of the 60's. Feel me.

1 song per artist makes you try to choose the most definitive song.

Unless you can propose a better idea?

- spidey

• some of these might have been posted in the repsonses and the pitchfork list but hows about

Solomon Burke "Home in Your Heart"

James Carr "Dark End of the Street"

Barbara Lynn "youll lose a good thing"

Arthur Conely "Sweet Soul Music"

Gal Costa "Baby"

France Gall "Laisse Tomber Les Filles"

Francoise Hardy "Le Bonheur Du Jour"

The Birds "No Good Without You baby"

Nazz "Open My Eyes"

Richard Berry "Have Love Will Travel"(this may have been '59, but perhaps '60)

Heptones "Baby"

Marcia Griffiths "Feel Like Jumping"

Ken Boothe and Stranger Cole "Artibella"

Rufus Thomas "Memphis Train"

Dale Hawkins "Suzy Q"

shit this list could go on and on...

it makes no sense.

Well O, like Laserwolf said it's very easy to fill the list with James Brown, and Beatles songs. If the goal was to just fill the slots. I really couldn't care less to deal with someones top 100 beatles songs of the 60's. Feel me.

- spidey

That makes sense to me, and should result in a very diverse but simultaneously tight list. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I bet most of the artists on Pitchfork's list repeat -- some many times. And some of their picks... I'm just scanning here, but the Kinks' "Shangri-la" made the list? That wouldn't be on my list of top Kinks songs, let alone top songs of a freakin decade!

• ive often heard of that pitchfork media thing. whats the deal with that? why is everyone on their balls?

Richard Berry "Have Love Will Travel"(this may have been '59, but perhaps '60)

59 according to wiki.

- spidey

ive often heard of that pitchfork media thing. whats the deal with that? why is everyone on their balls?

they seem to be the main place people ages 18-35 (or so) go for music news and reviews these days. They actually review a fairly wide spectrum of stuff but the main complaint about them is that they seem to have had a homogenizing effect on people's tastes -- bascially favoring very safe indie pop with Will Oldham, Cat Power, Smog and the 90s Matador roster as their Godz/elder statesman/whatever. Also, their reviews can make or break careers. And the tone of their writing can be pretty smug at times.

However, they're a decent source of news, and they've definitely propelled a number of Baltimore bands (for instance) to indie fame recently. Beach House and Dan Deacon are regularly championed by Pitchfork and Beach House went from forming to playing shows to 50 people to headlining tours in several continents over the course of less than a year thanks in large part to being mentioned on Pitchfork almost daily in 2006. Of course, for every band they annoint there's another good band that goes unnoticed (people here often bitch about their coverage of the diverse Bmore scene as very narrow), but whatcha gonna do?

I think "Keep on Pushing" has to be the Impressions song on there. And Sam Cooke- "A Change is Gonna Come" would probably be in my top 10.

• ive often heard of that pitchfork media thing. whats the deal with that? why is everyone on their balls?

they seem to be the main place people ages 18-35 (or so) go for music news and reviews these days. They actually review a fairly wide spectrum of stuff but the main complaint about them is that they seem to have had a homogenizing effect on people's tastes -- bascially favoring very safe indie pop with Will Oldham, Cat Power, Smog and the 90s Matador roster as their Godz/elder statesman/whatever. Also, their reviews can make or break careers. And the tone of their writing can be pretty smug at times.

However, they're a decent source of news, and they've definitely propelled a number of Baltimore bands (for instance) to indie fame recently. Beach House and Dan Deacon are regularly championed by Pitchfork and Beach House went from forming to playing shows to 50 people to headlining tours in several continents over the course of less than a year thanks in large part to being mentioned on Pitchfork almost daily in 2006. Of course, for every band they annoint there's another good band that goes unnoticed (people here often bitch about their coverage of the diverse Bmore scene as very narrow), but whatcha gonna do?

no wonder i never heard of it

it makes no sense.

Well O, like Laserwolf said it's very easy to fill the list with James Brown, and Beatles songs.

- spidey

I don't think there is one definitive James Brown song. I'll Go Crazy, Cold Sweat, I Can't Stand Myself, It's A Mans World - They are all definitive of different periods and times in the life or James Brown. A top 200 list ought to have room for all.
    James Brown and the Famous Flames I'll Go Crazy
    James Brown and the Flames Cold Sweat
    James Brown and the Dapps I Can't Stand Myself
    James Brown and some strings It's A Mans World

Does that count as 4 different artists? (I don't really know how these were listed or who is backing him, but yall can correct me anyway.)

Addition to the list:
    Nat Kendricks & Swans Mashed Potatoes

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused[/b]

This is song is quite possibly the greatest thing Zeppelin ever did.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme[/b]

I had a tough choice with this vs. My favorite things, but the fact that my favorite things was a cover, and a love supreme was an original nudged me over the top.

- spidey