NYC Everything! Jan 27-31

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I'm staying in Caroll Gardens! I'm planning on Philly in a day with one of the Board hottest posters! hint: s/he is not from PhiladelphiaBelated birthday drinks for Mr. Rillz are a must!I plan to leave with an armload of mixtapes!I need to eat pizza at that place everyone is always going on about! what's it called again?I will see Kara Walker and Shirin Neshat shows!I will visit a gallery that is just a facade for the Batlab!I have taken note of some nights to check out thanks to Mr.JC!I will spend money at Good Records!What else????Suggestions welcome and needed!I will hope and pray that I get through Customs unscathed and with my pride intact.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    difara's on ave j in midwood. It'll be a trek but well worth it, expect wait of an hour for your pizza. To pass the time you can byow, don't forget the dixie cups.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    thank you!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I missed Edith's jamboree. I aint missin' this one.

and you gotta pack these......

cmon now.

I was actually thinking about whether or not to wear the Sorels. They're too huge to pack and maybe I should have them in case there's heavy snow?

Packing for winter travel kinda sucks.

u wont need your Sorells. I does plan to flurry one of these days around here, but youll be fine.

Im talmbout drinks!!!!!!!

I owe Faux an Incredible Hulk Martini.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I don't wanna dominate your NY time (well, I do), but we we're planning a trip to Difari's with Brooklyn Premier Banjo Player (BPBP):

Also, is there a birthday drinks night? I need to give Faux his annual birthday wedgie. Though, I hate parties. I can probably hang through a few drinks but I'll turn pumpkinish and slip back into my Christian Death velvet ensconced dark ways.

Can't wait to see you!

p.s. I just got some proto-Crass Exit album we should listen to at top volume.

Yes and I'll have a Barbarella Bourbon Sour.

ohmigosh. I will fight the guards if they try to not let me through.

What be that?

• spumoni gardens

What be that?

I dunno, I said it in response to the Incredible Hulk Martini - or is that a real drink?

Here, I'll make up the recipe right now:

2oz bourbon
    1oz champagne
    lemon juice
    sugar on the glass
    slice of coconut

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm staying in Caroll Gardens!

that's my old hood and about 10mins from my current hood. lots of good restaurants/bars near Carroll Gardens (Smith street - get familiar!!!).

I know A*drew is a fan boy for Difara's (and really, who isn't) but a bit closer pizza spot, but still kinda famous, is Grimaldi's. It's right next to BK bridge and it gets a good share of tourists, but if you go during off time (not weekend) the line usually is not too bad.

have fun during your visit.

Thanks! I'm staying with a friend and the only thing I've seen in that part of the city is a tiki bar we closed when I was there a couple of years ago. it was pouring rain, so I don't remember too much about the neighbourhood otherwise. I'm excited - new territory and all!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What be that?

I dunno, I said it in response to the Incredible Hulk Martini - or is that a real drink?

It's very real, though now rather passe.

Hypnotiq + Hennessey

• that's my old hood and about 10mins from my current hood.

that's not a "hood" by any means

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

that's my old hood and about 10mins from my current hood.

haha...jesus dude. sorry that's my old Neighbor[/b]hood.

Gowanus PJ's don't play son!!!!

• that's my old hood and about 10mins from my current hood.

depends when you *cough* moved to New York City....

Anyways Red Hook and Wyckoff Gardens get it in.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    what up bassie? welcome to nyc.

also, don't fux with any other pizza but difara's. my peoples who've gone will testify.

Hello!
    Maybe we'll run into each other on the street in your city this time!

Yea, I have to check out DiFara's - I'm looking forward to the trek.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    what up bassie? welcome to nyc.

also, don't fux with any other pizza but difara's. my peoples who've gone will testify.

I concur.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

What be that?

It's very real, though now rather passe.

Hypnotiq + Hennessey

Anything with Hypnotiq is a certified hood drink.

quick question about D Dragon - is the stuff for sale on their site in the store or totally separate?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'd reccommend the ASSSSCAT improv show at the UCB Theater on the 27th fo sho.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hey Bassie: If you make it to my "hood" you def need to check the Chico Mann show at Black Betty on Jan 30th. Prolly no cover.

Everyone else: they are playing at The Lucky Cat Feb 16th where they'll be longer, louder, and much laughter. $5.

• Anybody been to Lucali's Pizza? Its in your friend's neighborhood Bassie. I've heard good things but never been.

Thanks for the tips!

LOL - you know what I love about New York? That your whole trip is planned out before you even get there...but what about the records? When do I go to buy records? (that's just a joke)

• Staten Island ferry is free and a must everytime.

Bring warm clothes!

Dress

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Anybody been to Lucali's Pizza? Its in your friend's neighborhood Bassie. I've heard good things but never been.

very good pizza and even better calzone. do yourself a favor and get the large calzone, plain. you will not be disappointed.

byob, i think corkage is just $4 and the prices very reasonable.

waits can be a bitch though but definately worth it.

waits can be a bitch though but definately worth it.

Fuck a line for pizza.

That's not NYC steez.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Bring warm clothes!

Bring warm clothes!

Bring warm clothes!