Michael Jackson vs. Prince parties

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Am I the only one who lives in a town where these seem to go down about once a month at this point?I feel like "Michael Jackson vs. Prince" went from "somewhat cool idea" to "utterly played out snoozefest" in about 1.5 seconds.Can we please move on? (PS is there really any contest anyway?)

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• (PS is there really any contest anyway?)

There's a Chris Rock (I think) standup routine where he's all like "Remember Jr. High when we were all talking about who was cooler-Michael Jackson or Prince?

(pause)

Prince won (said with big eyes and funny face).

Maybe Prince wins for being a non-childmolester, but to rock the dancefloor these days, what's going in your crate: Thriller or Prince's entire catalogue?

I was totally joking. I'm not even gonna comment on who's better. I'm just annoyed by these parties.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    (PS is there really any contest anyway?)

Of course not. Prince, all day.

A vote for Michael Jackson often turns out to really be a vote for The Jackson Five, or for The Corporation, or for Quincy Jones, or for Rod Temperton, or whoever. Whereas a vote for Prince (as in, "All words and music by ~") is a vote for motherf*cking Prince.

And anyway, Mike's not really about anything. I will always believe that music's first job is to sound good, but to pick Mike over Prince, you pretty much have to believe that sounding good is its only job.

And I'm old; f*ck a party.

• Heyo Rootless, was it you the other day saying something about how when you talk about Justin Timberlake the artist, you don't mean the dude? Cos JT the artist=JT the dude + Timbaland? I thought that was on point. Ditto for Michael Jackson.

that wasn't me but I concur with that statement.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

And anyway, Mike's[/b] not really about anything. I will always believe that music's first job is to sound good, but to pick Mike[/b] over Prince, you pretty much have to believe that sounding good is its only job.

I think that may be the very first time I've heard him referred to as Mike

Mike Jackson.

It has no Zing!

Anyways. I hate those parties too.

• Am I the only one who lives in a town where these seem to go down about once a month at this point?

I feel like "Michael Jackson vs. Prince" went from "somewhat cool idea" to "utterly played out snoozefest" in about 1.5 seconds.

Can we please move on?

lemme clarify, the one that dudes do at Madrone is really some bullshit, no offense just keeping it rea REAL TALKl. The only Michael Vs Prince party that people should EVER fuck with is this one:

With Spinna being the guest and the one that really brought the concept together.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shit is so 2000.

But Ill ride for MJ. His J5 shit till Invincible.

• Shit is so 2000.

when it's done not to the best it can be, yeah it is. Have you been to the N.Y. edition?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I used to battle my freind back in 97 w./ this theme. She took Prince and i had MJ.

But no Ive never been to the Official joint here in NYC.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    spinna has this on lock down. It's Spinna, dude is dude!

• Yeah I'm saying - the Spinna party I went to was one of the best times I've had out in the last couple years.

I don't know who this dude is out in the Bay who's doing them like quarterly or some schitt.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Dave Paul from Bomb Records does those Prince vs. MJ parties down there all the time right? He even came up here to Seattle and did a Prince vs. MJ night. Never been to one so I don't know how they would be. Spinna though, that's my dude. If Spinna will be on the wheels at a party JUST GO TO THE PARTY!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Recently went to a James Brown vs. Prince party. Yeah. No comparison.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Heyo Rootless, was it you the other day saying something about how when you talk about Justin Timberlake the artist, you don't mean the dude? Cos JT the artist=JT the dude + Timbaland? I thought that was on point. Ditto for Michael Jackson.

that wasn't me but I concur with that statement.

E-FUAXY was the one who made the statement, i believe.

aser and i went to one of those parties out here in nyc a few years ago at shelter. i don't think anyone could top what spinna's done with the party. i'd recommend it to anyone who really wants to have a fun, no bullshit night out. everyone there was just beaming. plus, lots of dancing honies in the place.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

A vote for Michael Jackson often turns out to really be a vote for The Jackson Five, or for The Corporation, or for Quincy Jones, or for Rod Temperton, or whoever. Whereas a vote for Prince (as in, "All words and music by ~") is a vote for motherf*cking Prince.

And anyway, Mike's not really about anything. I will always believe that music's first job is to sound good, but to pick Mike over Prince, you pretty much have to believe that sounding good is its only job.

Obviously, Mike Jackson has fallen out of favor with the masses for some time now, but I feel dudes are too easily dismissive of his art. Yeah, so he doesn't play mad instruments like Prince Rogers Nelson and he had the help of one of the greatest producers, but his songs off his first two solo albums are killin' it to this day and will continue to kill it. Certified dancefloor classics. And to fairly evaluate his discology, one needs to go back to his days with Jackson 5, which is essentially unfuckablewit. Regardless if any help he may have had, Mike clearly has a classic signature MJ sound. So I wouldn't say he ain't really "about anything."

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Obviously, Mike Jackson has fallen out of favor with the masses for some time now, but I feel dudes are too easily dismissive of his art. Yeah, so he doesn't play mad instruments like Prince Rogers Nelson and he had the help of one of the greatest producers, but his songs off his first two solo albums are killin' it to this day and will continue to kill it. Certified dancefloor classics. And to fairly evaluate his discology, one needs to go back to his days with Jackson 5, which is essentially unfuckablewit. Regardless if any help he may have had, Mike clearly has a classic signature MJ sound. So I wouldn't say he ain't really "about anything."

I'd argue that comparatively little of "his art" is really his. Likewise, I question how much of that "classic signature MJ sound" is really MJ. I mean, you're arguing that his greatest resource is his sound, while at the same time acknowledging that he owes a lot of that sound to other people. I feel like that costs him in an important way.

Don't get me wrong: when I say that I don't think Mike is "about anything," I'm not saying that his shit isn???t quality or doesn't sound good--I'm saying that for the most part it only sounds good. I'm a big Jackson fan, but I can't really say that dude is packing much in the way of concept or vision. Once you get past the admittedly unfuckwithable sound, there???s a lot that just isn???t there, you know?

• There is a DJ in DC who has been doing these parties for decades. DJ Mandrill. Really nice dude and deep crates. He does quite a few of these theme parties. And he has been that dude in DC who has been doing it the longest.

DJ Dredd has been doing them around here as well. His are more like Outkast vs Madonna or something crazy like that. DJ Mandrill's parties themes are more tight and not very off the wall like DJ Dredd's.

Who knows I haven't been to any of these parties so I can't really comment on them but others I know, whose judgement I trust weren't too into it when they went.

I have heard nothing but good things about the DJ Spinna and Bobbito Wonder Wrote It themed parties which I know isn't what is really being discussed in this thread but I like this concept better than a Versus party. I'd rather hear music by a specific artist performed by different artists. The two Wonder Wrote it CDs are off the chain I wish I could download both of them since I can't find my copies of I & II.