I Thought It Was You

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Does anyone know the album that contains the live version of 'I Thought It Was You'?Surely it must be Hancock, featuring a Japanese female vocalist (Kimiko Kasai?)Surely not a Kasai live album with the Herbie in the band.....no that's a step too farPlease folks be so kind as to clue me in.....

Comments

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I think this is live, your fears are realized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyiGi-6ZXdQ

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    many thanks

not sure I can live with that album cover in my collection though.....

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    many thanks

not sure I can live with that album cover in my collection though.....

i gots a spare... it's also on the herbie directstep album (alternate version)...

b

I have the Direct Step issue, though it's an extended HH version with no Kimiko on it if I remember correctly.

I've looked at the Butterfly LP on sites before, and quizzed an ebay seller - he said there was no ITIWY version....

If you can confirm ITIWY is on there, pls let me know if it is a live version

PM me with price and condition, let's see if we can sort it out

Many thanks

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice track!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    What else does anyone recommend from her? Didn't she do a cover of "As"???

that's on the Butterfly album

Funky in a slightly sanitised Japanese way
    but Paul Jackson on bass with that upfront 'Black Octopus' sound helps a lot

theres soundclips all over the place

You can't beat Jap jazz, when it hits the right spot there's none better....

Domo arigato gozaimashita

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    when it hits the right spot

• Smoov.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    that's on the Butterfly album

Please stop making references to this as "Jap" jazz. I'm sure you are from some place in Europe and you don't mean any harm, but "Jap" is an offensive racial slur.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    i don't know what to think of the term jap jazz, but it's definitely widely used in japan:

Plenty of Japanese use the term, it's all over ebay and the like from Japanese listers
    I work at a Japanese bank and they love it.....

So chill out!

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

Didn't some of the guys from Steely Dan have something to do with this?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Fuck I've been looking for a copy of this ever since Aki played it for my at Cosmos.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

Fuck I've been looking for a copy of this ever since Aki played it for my at Cosmos.

This has been a big rare groove track since the early 90's.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This has been a big rare groove track since the early 90's.

Not in Palm Springs

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    while the uk 12" is cool, the japanese one w/ the picture cover is even cooler.
    same version though.

you defintely need light of the world "london town" to go with it. same producer, same song basically with different lyrics.

(if you need 320s let me know, i just ripped both)

• that's on the Butterfly album

Please stop making references to this as "Jap" jazz. I'm sure you are from some place in Europe and you don't mean any harm, but "Jap" is an offensive racial slur.

Kimiko rocks ! the version sung by Herbie on Direct Steps sucks....

beside Paul Jackson on that butterfly Lp played SS favourite Alphonse Mouzon

Kimiko rocks ! the version sung by Herbie on Direct Steps sucks....

Can't agree!
    The Direct Steps LP is a beautiful recording in a fine and understated sleeve, delicate Obi strip, and widely spaced big grooves for a big sound.
    As for ITIWY, it's about an hour of vocoder scat jazz funk percussive madness

What's not to like?

• Kimiko rocks ! the version sung by Herbie on Direct Steps sucks....

Can't agree!
    The Direct Steps LP is a beautiful recording in a fine and understated sleeve, delicate Obi strip, and widely spaced big grooves for a big sound.
    As for ITIWY, it's about an hour of vocoder scat jazz funk percussive madness

What's not to like?
    I just don't like the way Herbie uses the vocoder : that cold Robot-like sound

and the disco-dressing of the rhythm arrangments for the track sung by kimiko suits better the song....

but that's just my 2 cents...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts

I've got her cover of "Use Me" which was booted over here in the early 90's. It's really good. Not only that, but it haz braekz.

• What else does anyone recommend from her? Didn't she do a cover of "As"???

I've got her cover of "Use Me" which was booted over here in the early 90's. It's really good. Not only that, but it haz braekz.

WARNING: I remember "As" includes the Vocoder as well.... I remember "Use me" waws way better...

Bit of a Kimiko fan club going on....

I also have a boot of hers (probably same one), with Butterfly on it;
    then on side 2 are 2 Bill Doggett tracks, Honky Tonk Popcorn etc

What a bizarre boot that was, there's zero connection there
    Anyone know who did it? the wolfman?

I also have a boot of hers (probably same one), with Butterfly on it;
    then on side 2 are 2 Bill Doggett tracks, Honky Tonk Popcorn etc

What a bizarre boot that was, there's zero connection there
    Anyone know who did it? the wolfman?

Nah, this was the one with the 11-minute version of "Bump 'n' Hustle Music" on side 2, along with "Little B's Poem" by Dee Dee Bridgewater. I think the other side had the Kimiko tune, Eramus Hall's "Just You and Me", and "For Real" by Flowers.

It may have originated from the London Borough of Brixton, if you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do...

Darker than Blue?

say no more....

that 12'' 'version' of For Real is a bit pants I reckon
    seems like it was stapled together on a Mac
    must have a listen tonight

she did Tell me a bedtime story too right?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Darker than Blue?

say no more....

It is indeed pants and the sound on that whole LP was pretty poor although some nice tunes. When I said this to a certain feller he got very shirty indeed. Made my own resolution there and then not to buy from him ever again.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Possible post up? I don't think I know this one.

she did Tell me a bedtime story too right?

right, even if credited to Kimiko Kasai alone, Butterfly was more an Hancock project, with him at the twilight of his "funky era" trying to rearrange his best (then recent) material with a disco feel for the japanese market.

However. the result is outstanding, thanks to Kimiko - a real jazz singer !- and the rest of the crew (basically the Hudhunters with Mouzon on drums !)

Darker than Blue?

say no more....

It is indeed pants and the sound on that whole LP was pretty poor although some nice tunes. When I said this to a certain feller he got very shirty indeed. Made my own resolution there and then not to buy from him ever again.