MYDWEEK FYNDS

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
It's the flip of Dusty Greyrock that's the winner, a moody guitar jangler.Natural Gas is cool organ-heavy psych with harmony vocals and a beat.^Hot Wax raer. This is a strange album, with no artist credits. I swear thereis more than one group on here, one of which sounds alot like Flaming Ember,another Hot Wax act - anyone else have this and notice the same thing?I'm in love with the chick with twenty-five cents on her head. She looks so tough.That whole tough-chick look is gone on the back cover though:^Pretty awesome private country rock thing, with a cover of Gram Parsons'"In My Hour of Darkness," another Parsons song worked into a medley, anda very pretty spirtual song with the highly stalker-esque title "Jesus,Gram and Me"[/b](!!!) ... best song is a weird soft-psych track with vibraphonecalled "Scottie"Dollar-bin exploito covers record with a version of "Scorpio"Take a sip of the break:

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The cute female on this cover makes me want to do some stone "carryin' on" myself.

^Hot Wax raer. This is a strange album, with no artist credits. I swear there
    is more than one group on here, one of which sounds alot like Flaming Ember,
    another Hot Wax act - anyone else have this and notice the same thing?

Don't have it, but isn't the group name supposed to be Satisfaction Guaranteed?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yes, but when I say no artist credits, I mean that's it,
    it just says the group name and the producer name, no credit
    to singers or musicians - and if you listen to the album straight
    through, there are sweet soul songs with some distinctive vocalists,
    and then there are songs that sound completely different, and as I said
    sound very much to my ears like Flaming Ember. Makes me wonder if they
    only had a handful of songs by "Satisfaction Unlimited" and filled out
    the rest of the album with Flaming Ember outtakes or something ... ?

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

The cute female on this cover makes me want to do some stone "carryin' on" myself.

Is that an asian hippy she's conversing with?

• ^Hot Wax raer. This is a strange album, with no artist credits. I swear there

to singers or musicians - and if you listen to the album straight
    through, there are sweet soul songs with some distinctive vocalists,
    and then there are songs that sound completely different, and as I said
    sound very much to my ears like Flaming Ember. Makes me wonder if they
    only had a handful of songs by "Satisfaction Unlimited" and filled out
    the rest of the album with Flaming Ember outtakes or something ... ?

Are there any cover tunes on the album?

• theres the butter "lets change the subject now baby" with the ill piano tinklings

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

When I looked back at 2007 and realised I had about two decent finds for the year, I thought I'd get '08 started on the good foot.

RONNIE,NORMAN AND EARL "SOUL AT SUNRISE" 45

Are there any cover tunes on the album?

No, they are all credited to some combination of the
    producer, arranger and an M. Jones.

• the artwork on that is pretty cool

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

to singers or musicians

That was a very common practice with vocal group LP's in the 70's, not listing the individual members' names, so that doesn't shock me.

• What happens when you get sick of latin music? Will you a) sell it and become independently wealthy b) maintain an archive for the world's latin enthusiasts or c) use it in later age to lure swell-looking bonitas back to your pad with promises of latin

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    a) sell it and become independently wealthy at 60% of your wealth before buying it

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    swell-looking bonitas back to your pad with promises of latin

But swell-looking bonitas don't like to Boogaloo or Shingaling. At best he's looking at a sympathy Cha Cha Cha.

a) sell it and buy people.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

I've been looking for that and other QMO records for a while... apart from some 73 & 76 no joy in NYC. I bet Karlophone has quantity.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Yes! I told you before you need to go to Amsterdam and get a hooker already.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    posted this in the Monday finds, but its from the week, and its mid week, so deal

Here are a few recent pieces

That Caroline Peyton was much better than I thought it was going to be. The Bruton LP is the Brian Bennett Album that later was released as "Voyage" (thanks Pencilface). That Tommy Jones "Bow Legs" is a double, so hollarate if you need it.

Grabbed that Jackie and Roy after hearing good things about it on Waxidermy. Paul Owens and the Capitol Star City Singers is a really great gospel album that should get way more shine.

Yma Sumac psych album is a Frickin' mind melter. got a sealed copy and popped it open as son as I got near a turntable.

Grabbed that Joe Simon on the strength of Pickwick's knowledge drop. All the tracks are pre LP 45s from the early to mid 60's. Bobby Bland's "Spotlighting the Man" is another one of those albums I passed countless times for no reason at all, I'm glad I finally took a chance.

and a big thank you to Las Vegas' own John Doe (AKA Doeizm) for hooking it up with this

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

I've been looking for that and other QMO records for a while... apart from some 73 & 76 no joy in NYC. I bet Karlophone has quantity.

wow...i spoke to friend of mine few weeks back, he told me that he had just found a scorpio version on a 70s US comp in a $bin, pretty sure this has to be it, not too many other comps lps include scorpio

also, speaking of scorpio versions:

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280192509247&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Yes! I told you before you need to go to Amsterdam and get a hooker already.
    I meant as food--a la A Modest Proposal.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

although i've had that QMO record for quite some time at this point, i think a few dudes on here still have it as one of their "secret squirrel"s...

ANYWAY, i went digging with my dad, while he came out with about $55 of fairly common records, all i got was a minty copy of this, after YEARS of passing on it:

IMG src=http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/system.jpg>

i love that cover and you cant go wrong for a buck...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    i went digging with my dad,

That's really cool. My dad only likes to dig for books, so our fingers never get dusty together.

to singers or musicians

That was a very common practice with vocal group LP's in the 70's, not listing the individual members' names, so that doesn't shock me.

Right, I realize that, so it didn't phase me either ... until
    I started to think there were recordings by more than one group
    on there. When I get home tonight I'll listen again and maybe throw
    up a couple of sound files for people to hear what I mean.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lunch time finds.....

Green "S/T' on Atco
    Marvels UK Press on Dimples label
    Prince Teddy on AVI
    Barbara Mason "Lady Love" on Buddah

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

IMG src=http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/system.jpg>

i love that cover and you cant go wrong for a buck...

You would not have gone wrong for a few bucks. This record is great.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

is that really rare? i have at least 2 that i've been trying to move at a dollar each and there hasn't been any takers for the last year.

love that album. "let's change the subject" is a bad ass tune. i would say that the two sides of the record sound a little different from each other, but i don't really hear flaming ember.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

is that really rare? i have at least 2 that i've been trying to move at a dollar each and there hasn't been any takers for the last year.

Rare, obscure, whatever. I'll buy one for $5 and you can put the other on Gemm for $30

• Marvels UK Press on Dimples label

LP? "Rock Steady" on there?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Take a sip of the break:

?! haha... sadly, no.

my quantity is usually on really goofy shit like Evel Knievel etc (see upcoming super bargain set sale blowout! whoo!)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Marvels UK Press on Dimples label

LP? "Rock Steady" on there?

LP yes....Rock Steady no