bolivian street kids...good news

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I just heard from one of our former college students who worked for us. Doing great things in Bolivia. I feel confident contributing and spreading word about this guy, because he truly did everything 110% with integrity, passion and perspective. Teaching street kids about their local food treasures (lessons that are easily missed when you dont have family or a home) is a unmeasurable gift. Anyway, check the pictures out and contribute if you feel like it. I couldnt figure out how to post pics of the kids in the thread.Peace,TonyTony,How are things in Philly?Things here in Bolivia have been really good. My Spanish has gotten a lot better, I've done some travelling, and really like the city where im living - Sucre.I started a little UNI-esque project here. There are hundreds of kids who work and live in the streets of the city. Most of the of the kids shineshoes in the main plaza. I'm teaching nutrition and cooking classes 3 times a week and running occasional special events at night for the kids who cant make it during the day. The best part is that I've raised enough money to give the kids (10-12 years old) weekly stipends to come to class. Since they work during the day it would be really hard for them to come without the $3 a week.If you want to check it out, I made a website for the project. Don't feel any obligation to make a donation.http://sucrebolivia.chipin.com/from-the-streets-to-the-table-the-children-of-sucre-boliviaAs always, I think about the tips you gave me about teaching and working with kids. We haven't played 'worlds biggest fan' yet, but I'd like to think my sincerity and energy with the kids approaches Tonyesque levels.Hope all is well at home

Comments

• the world needs more people like you and your friends...keep up the good fight!

• thanks d,

i got a lot of faith in this guy in Bolivia and what he's doing

you found the fist!

• thanks d,

i got a lot of faith in this guy in Bolivia and what he's doing

you found the fist!

yeah i just noticed that!

btw i wonder what effect the new president in bolivia is having on this problem...i know in nicaragua in the 80s they helped clean up a lot of social problems before their gov't was overturned with help from the US.