Does "Zapp",Parliament Cameo get East Coast love?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Zapp, Parliament, Funkadelic, Cameo, Dazz and other groups/styles that are associated with the West, do they get love in New York and the East? I don't mean amongst the heads but I mean with 25+ up average type of crowds?I'm saying because I was at a party last night and my dude (steve onder) dipped into a little bit of cameo and one way and everyone knew that shit. 25+ , music heads, old heads, and even the young kids. I credit the young folks knowing those jams since a majority of west coast hip-hop is built off of that and I think also low rider car culture from the bay to l.a. gives the music I 'm talking about a little bit more exposure.So what's the deal?

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I would say so

all those groups are from the midwest & east anyway

they get played on the radio around here for sure, if I hear 'knee deep' one more time I might flip tho

• i think this is a lil bit of revisionist history? i mean, im not sure if those bands are truly a west coast thing but i have a feeling that because a lot of the gangster rap used heavily from these artists, they are associated with the west coast. and because of their popularity through these rap songs a lot of kids 25+ or whatevers will know them. but i can also be very wrong about that.

• yes. I think alot of that stuff is just classic no matter where you are at. I play all of that stuff.

• i mean, im not sure if those bands are truly a west coast thing but i have a feeling that because a lot of the gangster rap used heavily from these artists, they are associated with the west coast. and because of their popularity through these rap songs a lot of kids 25+ or whatevers will know them. but i can also be very wrong about that.

is equal to

I credit the young folks knowing those jams since a majority of west coast hip-hop is built off of that and I think also low rider car culture from the bay to l.a. gives the music I 'm talking about a little bit more exposure.

So what's the deal?

So far, the vocoder jheri juice linn drum clapp is loved from berkeley to wall street.

WORD UP!

Again, I guess my experience with these songs are strictly west coast (house parties, clubs, family, oldies/grown folks radio, family parties etc..) and have seen/heard more east coast deejays who play old music fuck more with disco, chicken choker funk, and maybe latin.

We need rickey vincent to chime in on this.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Think Cameo is getting as legendary as Pfunk right now worldwide. They've been in the Grand Theft Auto games(this shit is why I think young kids are hearing that periods music- the radio is all from the 80s in the game), the Aqua Teen Movie, the Conan show, the resurrection of the codpiece in the media is all around me, lol.

Aside from infectious dancefloor funk, I think the Cameo dudes are getting embraced so much right now because of how cool with the FREAKY[/b] they always were and young people now are rediscovering that.
    I thought Larry Blackmon was like the next Borat for a minute on television last year but I suppose he's always been like the Messiah of the inner freak, now in young and old now, lol.

But on the East the love is a generationally mixed bag...some examples of the malaise go like this,
    Theres an annual Pfunk picnic at a public park here in Plainfield. (got p's?)
    All the older people tell me what a great time it is but if I ever asked anyone who lived over there around my age if they were going to go they are always like

But if a dj put them on at the right time in a club somewhere, the same people sitting home that day would go bananas screamin, 'thats my shit!' and it's really mostly due to the association with West Coast hip-hop you speak of, even though they are well aware their hometown named the music being sampled, but they mean "thats my shit" come full circle.

I think cause they were so legendary around here they wind up like a tall tale. If you find people the right age (especially women ) in Jersey they STILL talk about Tomi Jenkins cruising around in the first IROC-Z28 in Rahway, and how big of a deal they were in the late 70s- aware of their impact on the outside world right within their hometown. The next generation just like, yeah I know- what's new?

The West made it sound fresh again to young ears. Even today NY people sometimes make the mistake of assuming Parliament is from the South (no, not 30 mins, I mean, THE South) The estimation I've come upon and what I think it is your pondering is simply that NOBODY embraces their parents music until after the fact.

also,

• Zapp, Parliament, Funkadelic, Cameo, Dazz and other groups/styles that are associated with the West, do they get love in New York and the East? I don't mean amongst the heads but I mean with 25+ up average type of crowds?

I'm saying because I was at a party last night and my dude (steve onder) dipped into a little bit of cameo and one way and everyone knew that shit. 25+ , music heads, old heads, and even the young kids. I credit the young folks knowing those jams since a majority of west coast hip-hop is built off of that and I think also low rider car culture from the bay to l.a. gives the music I 'm talking about a little bit more exposure.

So what's the deal?

This was the Music for most Blacks youth in the late 70's early 80's before the whole hip hop takeover. I don't see why these groups wouldn't get love. I listen to the above mention groups more than I do anything else. Infact, I'd rather listen to Funkadelic-Parliment or Cameo than some rare libary or some David Axelrod or something. Most of the my ol'heads listen to these groups.

GEORGE CLINTON WAS ON THE LAST PUTS ALBUM.