I lost 40 gigs of music last night

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Meaning 90% off all the music on my hard drive.I spent over 10 hours moving individual songs inside my external HD to a master folder inside that would be for Serato. At around 2:00 a.m. - (WHEN I WAS FINISHED) selecting and moving 700+ songs out of 10,000, I bumped the hard drive and it fell on some records. It wasn't a bad or hard fall either.Next thing I know it's not reading and some R2D2 sounds are coming out of it.Great.I'm too in shock to be pissed but I do want a smoke like a motherfucker.Any tech dudes feel free to holler.

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    was it NTFS or FAT32?

i had a hd crash about a year ago or two, and managed to recover about 70% of the files. used a program called "get data back ntfs".

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    damn homie, sorry about that. holler with a list of stuff you lost and maybe we can help start replacing some shit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Oh fuck!

thats the worst shit.

I spent 2 or 3 days on and off bpming mp3s for serato and I accidentally overwrote them with their back up files that werent bpmed. still got the songs though. If you need to reup, i can send you some stuff. page me.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Archive, archive, archive, all the time.

The computer I use is used for everything, but later this year I plan on getting a much better setup, solely for recording, and maybe some video projects (if I ever get my documentary off the ground).

A computer is a computer, but when you get mad, one does stupid things. Once, when it wouldn't read my CD-R's correct, I kicked the computer a bit. Then things froze. Then I realized I kicked it hard enough for the hard drive to me a mess. It read "to a degree", and oddly enough it read Windows. But the part where it did the damage happened to be where my music files were. Some I could save, a lot I couldn't, so while I was able to burn file names, the files were destroyed. I had to buy a new hard drive. Fortunately I had program files on disc already, so all wasn't lost there.

If it's MP3's, I wouldn't mind. If it's my own projects, with session files, certain beats and samples, stuff that I may have tossed out after recording, then I would be pissed.

I am not sure if you can recover any files that may be missing, or if it would be cost effective to pay for a recovery.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

yeah sucks about the loss. you know you can always dl from me, got this 10mbit connection that im not using for anything meaningful...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Day,

I had some serious computer issues with my desktop a few years ago. A tech support guy told me to remove the cover, unplug the wide ribbon-looking cable (sorry I don't know the tech term), and plug it in again. That was my hard drive. He said that sometimes it gets jostled and comes loose. That actually fixed my problem.

I really, really hope yours can be fixed with something simple. But yeah, holler if there's stuff you need.

• Meaning 90% off all the music on my hard drive.

I spent over 10 hours moving individual songs inside my external HD to a master folder inside that would be for Serato. At around 2:00 a.m. - (WHEN I WAS FINISHED) selecting and moving 700+ songs out of 10,000, I bumped the hard drive and it fell on some records. It wasn't a bad or hard fall either.
    Next thing I know it's not reading and some R2D2 sounds are coming out of it.

Great.

I'm too in shock to be pissed but I do want a smoke like a motherfucker.

Any tech dudes feel free to holler.

Day in this situation it may be worth the money to get some professional help in recovering the files. might be 500 bills well worth the money vs time of reacquiring the files.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    day, what kind of HD was it? im going to assume it is external as it fell, but what brand, etc.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Meaning 90% off all the music on my hard drive.

I spent over 10 hours moving individual songs inside my external HD to a master folder inside that would be for Serato. At around 2:00 a.m. - (WHEN I WAS FINISHED) selecting and moving 700+ songs out of 10,000, I bumped the hard drive and it fell on some records. It wasn't a bad or hard fall either.

Next thing I know it's not reading and some R2D2 sounds are coming out of it.

Great.

I'm too in shock to be pissed but I do want a smoke like a motherfucker.

Any tech dudes feel free to holler.

terrible! sounds like the clumsy shit I do all the time though.

but...

don't smoke!

run around the house screaming and cussing, but don't smoke.

i know you have kids and you don't want to teach them nasty words, but it's better than making them tote around your O2 bottle when you're 50 and choking from emphysema (sp).

i was in a foul mood for the first week when I quit. the smallest shit would set me off. it goes away. cancer usually does not.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    day, what kind of HD was it? im going to assume it is external as it fell, but what brand, etc.

I had a Buslink external drive fall off a desk and it didn't read anymore. I figured getting it fixed by professionals means it'll come back wiped so I said fuck it and broke the factory seal and took a look inside. Turned out the problem could be fixed by pushing the actual hd in there back into its slot. Hey, it's worth a shot.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Western Digital 200GIG

I took it out of the case and unplugged/plugged the cable back in - no dice.

It's still making that "eeeerrrr orrrrrr arrrrrr, eeeerrrr orrrrr arrrrrr" noise.

I'm basically looking at is as a total loss. If it can't be read as a new drive when I plug it in I don't know how a restore program will be able to work.

Luckily the only music of my own that I lost were 3 mixes that were'nt that big of a deal (at least that's all I can remember or will allow myself to now that it's gone).

I called around and the estimate I got was around $500+. Even though it took me 2 years to aquire all that, it's not worth that much to me.

And [email]Fr@nk[/email] - No smokes, i'm on day 10 so fuck that.

But i'd reeeeeallllly like one right about now.

Thanks for the advice/help everyone. I might be taking some of you up on your offers.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    You might be able to salvage it...cosult a technician.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dude, it's ok, we all got you on the music tip.

I'm more mad about you losing all your family pics, those are priceless.

• day i got about 30+ gigs of mp3s that you are more than welcome to when you are in LA next

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    "eeeerrrr orrrrrr arrrrrr, eeeerrrr orrrrr arrrrrr"

ya that noise is signs of a failed drive. call western digital and tell them it just started making the noise like that, you may be able to get yourself a new drive if you are interested....

again, sorry to hear about your loss, i too can hook you up if you need anything...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    External hard drives fuck up all the time at my work and most of the time the data's still there. Recovery shouldn't cost anywhere near 500 - call someone, there are companies that do nothing else.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Just lost a 3 month recording project... sucks balls for sure. I guess thats the price of using technology and the right to priviledge for having a computer and shit !

40 gigs is a lot of music.

6.dos

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    that's the best thing about an ipod. worth the investment just as a backup drive, let alone a 2 lbs device that can store 2 weeks of beautiful sounds.