Recommend me a good DJ Mixer

thedailyhustlethedailyhustle 151 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I have been stepping my game up with dj gear. Got a Technics 1200 and Ortofon Concorde Nightclub needle but my mixer/phono preamp steez is below par.Im currently using this piece of shiet, and I am in need of an upgrade:What would yall recommend to compliment my 1200, ortofon, and mpc 60 mkII? Im looking for high quality converters and sound.

Comments

• Get a Rane and dont look back.

and do yourself (and your records) a favor and lose those ortofons.

• Tech 1200s..... with the 0% lock buttons.

Rane ttm56 mixer

Shure M-44-7 needles

for me... there is no better set up for scratching mixing and overall sound quality. Go rane... they are hands down the illest. I rock a 54... but wish I had a 56... PLUS... shit... i want the 56 with the built in Microwave... that'd be real nice.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Allen & Heath Xone series. I am real picky. I love the sound of these, much better than Rane IMO. Nice faders too, you can always upgrade to a Pro-X-Fade.

I've heard good things about the Ecler and the Rodec Scratchbox as well, never used them.

And get some Shure Whitelabels instead.

• Get a Rane and dont look back.

Whats so bad bout the ortofons? I thought they were high grade, and i really like the bannana design seems easy to get to the groove i want.. Theyre spherical needles, but they still tear vinyl up or what??

• I have a Rane 57sl and Ortofon Elektro. The are comparable to the Shure M44-7 but better sound quality IMO and you CAN cut with them just the same! I did Tron out and read somewhere that they do have a wider range while Shure is more bass heavy. I sold my Rane 56 for the 57sl. Both are hands down the best mixers I have ever used period and I have played on everything but a bozak and a Urei. Seen em but never mixed on em. Buy a Rane and don't tell your friends.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This is the mixer I had to use on Thursday for the first time... Way too many buttons when you're drunk. However Benny from my crew actually crashed into the turntables, so I guess in comparison I didn't do too bad.

- spidey

• Tech 1200s..... with the 0% lock buttons.

Rane ttm56 mixer

Shure M-44-7 needles

I'm using the Shure M44G needles but otherwise, yeah, co-sign.

• This is the mixer I had to use on Thursday for the first time... Way too many buttons when you're drunk. However Benny from my crew actually crashed into the turntables, so I guess in comparison I didn't do too bad.

- spidey

I got this mixer as a hand-me-down from a homie who upgraded to a ttm-56. two of the channels dont work and the sound quality is garbage. I just bought the roger linn operating system upgrade for my mpc 60 and the mixer is next. allen & heath or rane ttm series here i come. all feedback and suggestions appreciate. word. thanks

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Well it depends in part on what kind of music you play... If you play House or disco or take your gear to clubs where you play you NEED 3 band eq.Otherwise 2 band eq like the vestax 05 pro is ok..

• 3 band eq.

• and do yourself (and your records) a favor and lose those ortofons.

You serious? I have whitelabels and am not feeling them at all. I wouldnt recommend them to anyone personally.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    you cant go wrong with either a rane 56 or a xone:02. ultimately though, it depends on what you need the mixer to do. they're both quality brands. i especially love the thin fader knobs on the xone. i rock em both.

ortofons RIP up your records.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    there is only 1 choice the rane ttm56

• there is only 1 choice the rane ttm56

yea... its kinda no question to me. Unless you wanna go with the allen and heath with the penny and giles faders... but for me FOR a progressive DJ who likes to show off... the 56 is the way to go... everything is strong on this mixer... and any mixer that ups it on the sound quality usually isn't as good to scratch on.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

to each his own, but this ortofon hatery on soulstrut is really weird - especially because people ride for these (mediocre) shure needles that hard.

• this ortofon hatery on soulstrut is really weird - especially because people ride for these (mediocre) shure needles that hard.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

These are doodoo, especially in conjunction with the dildo. The Microwave developers themselves, via their web forum, warned against using these.

and they are practically the worst carts for cutting I've ever used.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

to each his own, but this ortofon hatery on soulstrut is really weird - especially because people ride for these (mediocre) shure needles that hard.

I don't know about those white label joints, but I've been using M-447's for over a decade and I've never had a problem. I tried Ortofon's when they first came out and while they might track better, they tear the living shit outta your records. So unless you plan on never back-cueing, I wouldn't mess with them.

My advice for a mixer is a Rane TTM56 or 57 if you have the dough. If not, Allen & Heath Xone 02 is the next best thing IMO.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I don't know about those white label joints, but I've been using M-447's for over a decade and I've never had a problem. I tried Ortofon's when they first came out and while they might track better, they tear the living shit outta your records. So unless you plan on never back-cueing, I wouldn't mess with them.

My advice for a mixer is a Rane TTM56 or 57 if you have the dough. If not, Allen & Heath Xone 02 is the next best thing IMO.

I agree with everything here...

I do think that the Ecler Hak's were the closest thing to the Rane's though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I agree with everything here...

I do think that the Ecler Hak's were the closest thing to the Rane's though.

Yeah, you know I've only used them a few times, but I agree, they're better for a scratch DJ than the Xone. Overall/sound quality wise I'd say the Allen & Heath is comparable (some say better) to Rane (and probably easier to find than an Ecler), but that's probably cause I've used them more.

• Ecler Haks are good for cutting etc. and had a nice sounding EQ from what I can remember but they are very bad quality mixers that simply do not last. The outputs blew on mine twice and did the same on a mates. Don't be swayed by the size of these mixers as I was a bit surprised at how empty the inside was when I opened it upb, 21b, 21Rane 56 has got to be one of the most ergonomic mixers ever, although I still can't cut for shit on those faders

• Pioneer 909

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Pioneer 800 no question followed by the Rane TTM-67
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Pioneer 800 no question followed by the Rane TTM-67
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21The pioneer 800 has actually been my favorite lately but the 1000 is killing it with the built in isolater. Not sure if the 1000 has the same efx as the 800 though? If it does then it's one of if not the best one out there. I'm still gonna buy an ES rotary though. Just gotta have one. Looking for an original gemini 2200 as well from the 80's with the wooden side panels. Anyone?

• can anyone help me with adjusting the cut in points on the rane I just got? Or do most dj's in general use the fader as is and not adjust it? It seems to me that the fader needs a little getting use to as far as scratching goes..

• I just threw my old gemini mx 2200 in the trash 4 months ago... It was a sad day...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    img src=http://www.goddamnit.se/d-lite/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/gemini-mixer.jpg1b, 21b, 21Are there any new parts compatible with this? Faders on these must be f'ed up...

Dudes I just bought a Grandmaster Flash edition Empath mint w/road case on eBay for $450. Frigging steal.b, 21b, 21Also fyi do not buy one of those Innofader crossfaders as they will blow up your mixer and the repair is not simple.