Post-'Quiet Storm' Smokey

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Smokey got real spotty after Quiet Storm. It's pretty tough to navigate all his releases but I found a few really nice songs, seems like at least one burner per record. But I lot of it seems very skipable. Anything you guys really love or would recommend?A few of mine: "Madam X" and "Daylight and Darkness" off Love Breeze and "Gimme What You Want," a nice moder track off Touch the Sky. In Smokey's top moments, I think I would take him over anybody.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In Smokey's top moments, I think I would take him over anybody.

In Music? In Soul R&B? At Motown?

Smokey is a Great writer and should be credited for helping sculpt Motown.

Paging Motown 67 & Pickwick 33........

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'm not feeling Smokey's current Botox windtunnel look

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Ahh, Batmon you have got me again. Say something on Soulstrut and you will be challenged. No Smokey does not really hold a candle to Marvin, yet Smokey's best loves songs touch me a personal level -- the notes he hits are so nice. If I am hanging out with the lady, trying to not have a care in the world, Smokey comes correct.

I'm not feeling Smokey's current Botox windtunnel look

Prettiest Green eyes in the game still.

• I'm not feeling Smokey's current Botox windtunnel look

Prettiest Green eyes in the game still.

He looks freakish with all the work he's had done. Plus, sad to say, his voice is long gone.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    VIRGIN MAN

off of this is the shit.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    VIRGIN MAN

off of this is the shit.

But this was BEFORE Quiet Storm...

It is a classic album, if only because he's tackling all these controversial issues like male virginity and teen pregnancy. I don't think I've ever heard another Smokey solo LP (out of the three I have) where he's had this many social-consciousness songs in one place. It's like he's trying to play catch-up with his Tamla labelmates Marvin and Stevie...

You know, now that you mention it, I'm surprised that Soul Strut hasn't given Smokey the "multiple appreciation thread" treatment like we have Curtis, Marvin and Stevie. Maybe it's because Smoke is the least funk-oriented of the four? (Although he made a respectable stab at funk on the Smokey's Family Robinson album...)

Yeah, Curtis, Marvin and Stevie did a lot for black music back in the time, but if somebody came on here saying that Smokey was #1, I wouldn't question it. And his guitarist, Marv Tarplin, is an underrated six-string genius along with Curtis Mayfield and Bobby Womack.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Let the music take your mind...

Maybe it's because Smoke is the least funk-oriented of the four?

Ballader vs Social/Funky

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    SMokey had one of the sweetest voices and basically shaped the early Motown sound.

After Quiet Storm also check:

Smokey Family Robinson

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review.php?item_id=2250

Where There's Smoke just for Cruisin

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review.php?item_id=2102

I think those are the only 2 post Quiet Storm LPs that I have.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    if somebody came on here saying that Smokey was #1, I wouldn't question it. And his guitarist, Marv Tarplin, is an underrated six-string genius.

What a songwriter.

When Being With You came out I loved it, listened to it non-stop for a while.

He was recently here in Portland playing with the symphony. Doing an evening of standards. I thought of going until I realized the standards were written by Irving Berlin and Sammy Khan.

Only standards I want to hear him sing he wrote.

He wrote a song called That's What Love Is Made Of, that could be a folk song. It could be one of those songs that every kindergartner learns.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    just to see her
    one heartbeat
    being with you
    was cruisin post?

ALL HOT JAMS!!

He wrote a song called That's What Love Is Made Of, that could be a folk song. It could be one of those songs that every kindergartner learns.

It's an "adaptation" of an old nursery rhyme, so I can definitely see it that way.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

It's an "adaptation" of an old nursery rhyme, so I can definitely see it that way.

Plus it has a chours that that builds by adding the verses, like A Partridge In A Pair Tree song. Very folky. Plus it's 2 chords (mostly).

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    There are a couple of joints off the Big Time soundtrack that I are alright by me.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    one of the best five voices in music history in my opinion. don't know what the other four are....but his is one of them.