Comments

• Denmark stand up:

http://www.myspace.com/superbadduke

Peace,

Dress

• LL was vexed one night because Jack insisted that LL pay the cover charge. So LL bounced and no one cared

• that was my shit. Still one of my fave DJ's. Still won't come off any of his triples....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "Even though at the time other djs thought that the way Frankie would just play entire songs from top 'til they faded out was corny, in playing like that, Frankie killed two birds with one stone. Not only did he preserve the fidelity of these rare records but he also provided the crowd with a truly unique musical experience. It was refreshing to hear a song in its entirety, especially songs that were known, but only within a mixed and cut context. Records that were known for only a small break were given new life and to hear these songs amplified properly was great."

Such a simple and beautiful concept!

• Such a simple and beautiful concept!

Nothing pisses me off more than djs changing songs to fast. Yeah I get it you want to show me your 'skillz', but I just want to hear the music. I don't need a new song every 30 seconds.

And it makes dancing very difficult!

I can't say I'm immune to it, though, I do feel this (internal) pressure to cut some songs short - especially reggae discos...but I guess that's a bit different. Unless the whole dub is banging, there is no need to hear a repetitive version that goes nowhere for 4 minutes (or speed it up).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Old school - entirety
    New School - Snippets

b/w

I Was There......

That's me near in the middle.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    me in the middle.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Old school - entirety
    New School - Snippets

I agree with this. If I'm up in the club and the DJ's rocking club hits, I'm not mad if he/she cuts a joint out after one verse. If it's a song I like, I'm salty for a couple seconds, but I can go home and listen to the whole song later if I want.

With old-school joints, especially raer ones, the chance of me hearing it again anytime soon is slim, so if this is that one time, I want to hear the whole thing.

This relates directly to one of the conversations in the "Best Soul/Funk DJ" thread.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    , I thought this was going to be about the Cleveland soul label.

• Whatever happened to Frank? I never was at the SK back in the day, but I DJed with him once at a head shop in Hollywood some 12 years ago or so ... he definetely had some bad vinyl already back then ...
    I would love to know what's he up to these days ..

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Such a simple and beautiful concept!

Nothing pisses me off more than djs changing songs to fast. Yeah I get it you want to show me your 'skillz', but I just want to hear the music. I don't need a new song every 30 seconds.

I need to hear a new song every 15 seconds.

• One of my favorite parties ever.

• I went four times. Wish I had gone 40. So much fun.

• Such a simple and beautiful concept!

I need to hear a new song every 15 seconds.

My parents used to say I had "skiptinitus" as a kid. I think they just call that ADD now.

• Whatever happened to Frank? I never was at the SK back in the day, but I DJed with him once at a head shop in Hollywood some 12 years ago or so ... he definetely had some bad vinyl already back then ...
    I would love to know what's he up to these days ..

he does a 80's night on thursday at Don Hills

what up P!!!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    great party, i also wish i went more often