GIVING UP SMOKING TODAY

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Yes I am. Who is with me.... ?

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The funky green or the other stuff? Good luck either way!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've got to.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    ciggs... Frickin' $12-13 US a pack of 20 out here...

thats not the reason im giving up, its the health...

bev

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    DO IT

• I'm all for it, as long as you don't change your avatar.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts

me...having a cold last week really helped!!!!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

I'm joining you on Feb 1st.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I should too, but i give myself another few weeks. i turn 30 soon and after that and with the smoking ban getting implemented here there is not much reason to continue slowkillin myself

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've been back and fourth on this for years. It's rough.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I've been back and fourth on this for years. It's rough.

Ditto.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    dude, im about 2 and a half months quit!

trust me, its worth it. I feel much better and i can smell and taste stuff again.

But it sucks, and even today i wanted one. But the worst part is the first couple days, once you get past that, its all downhill.

I would seriously reccomend the patch. it helped me immensly. It makes you feel nasty, it hurts a little bit, and it will give you crazy nightmares.....but if you stick with it, it will make you not really want to smoke!

I had 3 friends that tried to do it with me and they are all back smoking now. So dont feel too bad if you cant do it. Hell, i could relapse. But i feel like im pretty well over it.

Bottom line is that if you truly want to quit, it wont be all that hard. However, if you still want to smoke its impossible.

all the other things like dates, resolutions, and cutting back, all that is pretty much bullshit and will do nothing but make you feel guilty. Im my experience, its either quit right now! I mean right now! or its just not your time yet.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Please send your cigarettes to me.

Also, tea tree oil toothpicks from whole foods can be a lifesaver.

pm me if you need any extra encouragement. I was over a pack a day for over 11 years. I used to worry about long plane flights or being trapped anywhere that i couldnt smoke for more than an hour or so. Heavy smoker, hard core addict.

also, if you can get into working out, it will help. try to supplement your addiction with another addiction. thats the best way.

unfortunately it has made me smoke more weed. but in my opinion, it was worth it to get off the cancer sticks.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I used to worry about long plane flights or being trapped anywhere that i couldnt smoke for more than an hour or so. Heavy smoker, hard core addict.

Damn, this is me down to a tee - it's actually come to the point where I'm almost reluctant to travel long distances where I won't be able to smoke.

Props to all those who have given up/are giving up - it's something I've got on the cards (less health related, more to do with money and the goddamn stench) but I fear for my work related sanity as scheduled cigarette breaks are the only thing that keep me relatively mellow during the day. I fear I would be a true asshole if I ever quit.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I'm all for it, as long as you don't change your avatar.

I used to worry about long plane flights or being trapped anywhere that i couldnt smoke for more than an hour or so. Heavy smoker, hard core addict.

Damn, this is me down to a tee - it's actually come to the point where I'm almost reluctant to travel long distances where I won't be able to smoke.

Props to all those who have given up/are giving up - it's something I've got on the cards (less health related, more to do with money and the goddamn stench) but I fear for my work related sanity as scheduled cigarette breaks are the only thing that keep me relatively mellow during the day. I fear I would be a true asshole if I ever quit.

the work cigarettes. ahh yes. I quit as soon as i became unemployed. Going back to the studio i used to work at still makes me want to smoke.

but, if you can break those associations, i promise you will feel a new found freedom. Its not that you really like to take that smoke break, its that you HAVE to.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i smoked pretty steadily (about 1 pack a day) from 16 - 30, then I quit for almost two years, then I smoked like a pack a week since then, until last month. I smoked all through finals, but then as soon as they were done i just didnt smoke and for some wierd reason, this time its stuck and I havent had a cigarette in almost a month.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    my problem is in bars. just hanging out or playing records. my cravings go through the roof. otherwise, i don't even think about it.

does you area have the indoor smoking ban? that helps a lot.

yeah, I'm only working 2 days a week, but I have the freedom to smoke whenever, I've been stronger today, but I must admit I had one or two throughout the day... but it isn't that hard.

I gave up for 5 years before, one time, so I know how to do it...

just wondered who was down for the count to give up today!

thanks for the advice and comments, a lot of healthy k-nowledge being dropped!

peace.

• I came back from Japan about 5 weeks ago and quit cold turkey before I left. It is pretty much impossible to quit in Tokyo if you have passed a certain point and don't just sit at home.

Anyway, I haven't had one cigarette since, but I do get cravings from time to time. The thing I really hate is the fact that I can *NEVER* have a cigarette. I am past the addiction and nicotine cravings but there are times when I really just want a smoke to chill out and think.

Good luck though, you really will feel better. It makes your mouth a lot cleaner, your skin will have a better color to it, clothes smell nice, etc. There are a ton of benefits.

yeah, I'm only working 2 days a week, but I have the freedom to smoke whenever, I've been stronger today, but I must admit I had one or two throughout the day... but it isn't that hard.

peace.

I read alot about people who quit for 5 years and come back. It scares me. What made you start again?

my mother quit smoking in 1960, and i remember asking her about five or six years ago whether she ever still thinks about smoking, and she said "every day."

peace.

I read alot about people who quit for 5 years and come back. It scares me. What made you start again?

honestly, it was stress, and being in japan where ciggs are $2 a pack...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    $2.00 a PACK? DAMN.

I'm having serious issues with this. I do almost a pack a day and could no longer afford it. Then I got one of those little $6.00 injectors, a pack of 250 tubes for $3.00, and a pouch of Drum shwag for $4.00. Way cheaper to do that then quit all together. But lately I feel like crap and the fact is, I just don't WANT to quit yet. I find it harder to breathe, I'm more congested all the time....it sucks man. Ireally hope you can do it and I can start sooner than later.

Rep your brand:

1983-89

1989-91

1991-92

1993-96

1998 - 2007

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Forgot the years...I'll go in chronological order

Now it's....

+

+

= Happy pacman.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    WATUP BEVAN, IT IS VERY DOABLE.

I've been off of that shit for over 6 months. No cravings. No nothing. Cold Turkey is really the only way to do it. Say you go out to the club or you're hella stressed, do whatever it takes (stare at boobies, grab boobies, eat a carrot stick, chew gum, do 50 pushups) to get you through.

Get in the habit of eating right and exercising. You'll start wondering why you started smoking those damn cancer sticks to begin with.

Good luck mate! We are all in this together.

Yuichi

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    my mother quit smoking in 1960, and i remember asking her about five or six years ago whether she ever still thinks about smoking, and she said "every day."
    I don't understand when people say this. I quit just over two years ago and although it takes a long long time to be really "in the clear" I rarely think about smoking now. After about 3 months I got used to not smoking and after about a year the cravings were very very far in between. Now it's a rarity that the thought crosses my mind.

• my mother quit smoking in 1960, and i remember asking her about five or six years ago whether she ever still thinks about smoking, and she said "every day."
    I don't understand when people say this. I quit just over two years ago and although it takes a long long time to be really "in the clear" I rarely think about smoking now. After about 3 months I got used to not smoking and after about a year the cravings were very very far in between. Now it's a rarity that the thought crosses my mind.

It probably depends on the person. I think the number of years someone smoked would be a huge factor in something like this. I smoked a pack a day for about 4 years, and even though I only stopped 5 weeks ago, I would say I only think about smoking every other day or less.

If you had been smoking a pack or 2 packs a day for 20 years, then I bet that really magnifies the mental addiction.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts