JR WALKER & THE ALL STARS LIVE

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
WOW. I slept, most of their 45s are filed away somewhere and I think I had another LP by them that was tepid, but I bought this one today for the cover of I Know I'm Losing You. But the whole LP kicks ass really. Pickwick, tell me some barely-relevant-yet-fascinating facts about this.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I'll ride just for "These Eyes" and "What Does It Take"... two personal faves.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    Then again, I've been playing "Show and Tell" by Al Wilson on repeat these last couple days.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

What Does it Take is on there. But really, this whole LP hits hard at times and stays in the groove at others. Gorgeous.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    WOW. I slept, most of their 45s are filed away somewhere and I think I had another LP by them that was tepid, but I bought this one today for the cover of I Know I'm Losing You. But the whole LP kicks ass really. Pickwick, tell me some barely-relevant-yet-fascinating facts about this.

Jr. Walker & the All-Stars had TWO live albums with similar titles - one is called Live, the other is called Live!. I was listening to both LP's over Christmas break and damn if they didn't sound like one long Saturday night. Seriously underrated Motown act, although I have a slight preference for his pre-'69 stuff. After "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" became a hit, producer Johnny Bristol overloaded his records with string sections and voices. While Jr. was still good, I find myself not playing those records as much as his earlier houserockers.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Jr. Walker & the All-Stars had TWO live albums with similar titles - one is called Live, the other is called Live!. I was listening to both LP's over Christmas break and damn if they didn't sound like one long Saturday night. Seriously underrated Motown act, although I have a slight preference for his pre-'69 stuff. After "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" became a hit, producer Johnny Bristol overloaded his records with string sections and voices. While Jr. was still good, I find myself not playing those records as much as his earlier houserockers.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

What Does it Take is on there. But really, this whole LP hits hard at times and stays in the groove at others. Gorgeous.

haha. monster.

Great artist. The two Jr Walker Lps I listen to most are These Eyes and Rainbow Funk.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My baby brother was named after Jr. Walker (his name's "Walker," not "Junior.")

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

You mentioned "What Does It Take...", so I'm assuming you mean the one without the exclamation point in the title, which I think is from 1970 or so.