your thoughts on music sharing blogs

LawrenceLawrence 125 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
loads of them bout sharing rare records. what are you thoughts?

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    good thing

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Great thing.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    great as long as its not something newly licensed

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    great thing!!
    now someone on here list a few so I can check them out. Most I've discovered I forgot to add to my bookmark favorite site folder.

• Good Thing

Some restraint could be exercised. I started my own (www.goodrecordsnyc.com) and yet I'm very conflicted.

I plan to put most of my emphasis on mixes rather than full albums, and there are A LOT of records I own that I would never put up on my blog. A lot of guys treat it like some kind of rarity-based wankfest of oneupsmanship and I'm not feeling that.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Good Thing

Some restraint could be exercised. I started my own (www.goodrecordsnyc.com) and yet I'm very conflicted.

I plan to put most of my emphasis on mixes rather than full albums, and there are A LOT of records I own that I would never put up on my blog. A lot of guys treat it like some kind of rarity-based wankfest of oneupsmanship and I'm not feeling that.
    I appreciate music sharing blogs but putting an entire album up to be leeched is BS.Rather just give a few tracks up.
    Music sharing blogs gives the listener the oppportunity to hear that raer piece that is hard to obtain. I had raer stuff on my Ipod for most of last year & I'm still committed to owning original copies of those records I downloaded.

• I think in the case of good albums its appropriate to post 1 track, and if it's what you like then you can try to track it down.

If it's stupid rare, then hell, just post the album. I'm a freelance designer/artist living in Australia... alot of this shit i'm never going to see "in the field" and never going to be able to win on ebay.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    to be honest I could care less if someone shares a single song or a full album. Just being able to hear something I was curious about makes me happy. Getting a full album is just icing on the cake.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    too many blogs.
    too much music.
    too little time.

restraint is the keyword here.
    I can't even keep up with all the music posted up on this board, let alone all the blogs out there..

• There's records that, if I saw them posted, would really piss me off.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i was featured on Gorilla vs. Bear recently, i appreciate the promotion!

music blogs are great, i always wanted to start one.

• There's records that, if I saw them posted, would really piss me off.

care to explain your feelings on this? genuinely curious.

Now if all the Microwave DJs would exercise some restraint on file swapping then we wouldn't have the current glut of cats all playing the same shit.

• [KL] It's best for information to remain imperfect [/KL]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Good Thing

Hey just listening to your Impalaville mix now, really likin it.

• Thanks!

• [KL] It's best for information to remain imperfect [/KL]

ahhh...so you prefer the imperfections of vinyl over the cleanliness of digital? That I can get with.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    too many blogs.
    too much music.
    too little time.

restraint is the keyword here.
    I can't even keep up with all the music posted up on this board, let alone all the blogs out there..

pretty much sums up my feelings

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    [KL] It's best for information to remain imperfect [/KL]

ahhh...so you prefer the imperfections of vinyl over the cleanliness of digital? That I can get with.

By the "KL" tags, I assumed he meant it's better
    to offer a low-quality Real Audio file of a song
    than a 320kbps MP3 ... ?

• No no, Kevin used to say that to mean, you know, don't tip your hand too much. In this game, there are still secrets...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No, I know, it was just for tha_lulz.

I am bad at keeping music secret, though.
    When I find some unknown shit that I think
    is ill, I always want to share it, if only
    to learn some more info about it if I can.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The blogs where the sole purpose is to download whole albums are pretty gay. For the most part these dudes aren't sharing music they actually own or even sharing their own thoughts about it. It is just an MP3 grip-fest. Fuck that.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The blogs where the sole purpose is to download whole albums are pretty gay.

please to elaborate on the gay concept of music downloading.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The attempts at reviews more often than not annoy me. I just want long lists of download links to rare albums divided by genre, selected by people with unassailable taste.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The blogs where the sole purpose is to download whole albums are pretty gay.

please to elaborate on the gay concept of music downloading.

Downloading music will make you gay... and sterile.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I love them.

For people like me who will always buy the original LP and not be satisfied with the MP3 it's perfect. Great way to sort out the turds from my wantlist (inside my private garden). The more of an album I'm able to hear, the more it helps me with my purchase decision.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I love them.

For people like me who will always buy the original LP and not be satisfied with the MP3 it's perfect. Great way to sort out the turds from my wantlist (inside my private garden). The more of an album I'm able to hear, the more it helps me with my purchase decision.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    sayin'

and you are assured never to drop hard earned cake on weird records that suck

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

weird records that suck

can i get an emotocon up in this birtch?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I generally avoid music blogs. Sure, I've downloaded some songs here and there, but the idea that everything is so easily available all the time to anyone has taken a lot of fun out of finding new stuff yourself[/b]. Besides, weak ass Microwave DJ's playing stuff they downloaded from some blog with no intention of buying the actual record get the gasface from me.