flying first class (ballin' related)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
what is the big deal? we have a client paying for us to go back and forth to a trial over the next month and for whatever reason, he booked us all in first class. its my first experience with it and am i missing something or is it a complete waste of money?the pluses: more leg room, first on/off the plane, and you don't have to pay for alcohol.anything else? but still

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    what is the big deal?

the pluses: more leg room, first on/off the plane, and you don't have to pay for alcohol.

anything else?

Dude, those perks are not enough for you? You forgot that food is better too. Flying first class is straight crack... You can actually sleep (or do work if you have to) because of the additional cabin space. Aside from the comfort, the stewardess will be around a lot to take care of your every need.

Best part though, is you get to board first, chillax in your LazyBoy like seat with your Gucci loafers up, and then leer at the po' miserable folk who have to sit in general boarding.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    When I was a kid, United Airlines accidentally gave us the royal executive treatment of another person of the same name as my mother. Free first class upgrades on all flights. The gig lasted a few years until they finally figured it out. It was awesome

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Question: is this US domestic? Or int'l?

Domestic first class is cool but you notice the MAJOR difference when you go int'l. I flew business class to Asia and that shit was straight BALLER in my opinion. I can't even imagine what 1st class was like.

what is the big deal? we have a client paying for us to go back and forth to a trial over the next month and for whatever reason, he booked us all in first class. its my first experience with it and am i missing something or is it a complete waste of money?

the pluses: more leg room, first on/off the plane, and you don't have to pay for alcohol.

anything else?

but still

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Question: is this US domestic? Or int'l?

Domestic first class is cool but you notice the MAJOR difference when you go int'l. I flew business class to Asia and that shit was straight BALLER in my opinion. I can't even imagine what 1st class was like.

I hear First or Business Class travel to Asia (Singapore Air) is just straight luxury. And the hostesses are certified dimes, not the weathered skanks that are on US flights.

Damn, you is a baller, O-dub!

• Question: is this US domestic? Or int'l?

what is the big deal? we have a client paying for us to go back and forth to a trial over the next month and for whatever reason, he booked us all in first class. its my first experience with it and am i missing something or is it a complete waste of money?

anything else?

but still

national=whatevs

international=

• Options
    I flew first home from Vegas once. I was passed out most of the flight on the shoulder of the woman sitting next to me, who was a big lady kind of like the mom from What's Happenin'. She didn't mind at all, she was sleeping too. Uneventful.

The main thing is sitting there watching everyone who boards the plane after you look at you like you're an asshole. That's the highlight, and I recommend making the most of it.

• The main thing is sitting there watching everyone who boards the plane after you look at you like you're an asshole. That's the highlight, and I recommend making the most of it.

YOU AINT NEVA LIED

Or when people you've been talking to pre-flight pass you to go the other side of the curtain

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've never flown first class (or business class...or anything other than cattle class, really) in my life. It's something to aspire to.

• Question: is this US domestic? Or int'l?

its domestic and just to another east coast city, the flight is only an hour long. so the food upgrade doesn't even apply....actually, instead of peanuts, we got a choice of snacks...although there were no dinosaur eggs, so it wasn't really ballin' at all.

• Options
    One time I was flying coach and was heavily under the influence since I was on my way to New Orleans and didn't want to waste any time. The gentleman who sat down next to me caused me to have giggling fits a bunch of times throughout the flight, as I was basically sitting next to the real-life inspiration in both manner and looks of this man right here....

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    The main thing is sitting there watching everyone who boards the plane after you look at you like you're an asshole. That's the highlight, and I recommend making the most of it.

through work, i've done this a few times. i remember the first time i was like 22yrs old and you could tell all the older professionals were like 'fuck this kid'.

shit...last time i flew (post 9/11) you still got metal utensils up in first class.

• Their aint no first class on Jet Blue flights.

• The main thing is sitting there watching everyone who boards the plane after you look at you like you're an asshole. That's the highlight, and I recommend making the most of it.

through work, i've done this a few times. i remember the first time i was like 22yrs old and you could tell all the older professionals were like 'fuck this kid'.

shit...last time i flew (post 9/11) you still got metal utensils up in first class.

I think U.S. flights are the only ones who banned metal utensils. France gives 'em (along with a crazy ass meal WITH WINE) and I think Japan did as well...can't remember.

Damn, you is a baller, O-dub!

Ha, I wish. My parents live in Asia and my dad flies int'l all the time on business so b/t the two of them, they have flier miles for daaaaaaays. Since I was coming out to China to visit them, along with my then-girlfriend, they upgraded us on the strength. Hot shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

YOU AINT NEVA LIED

Or when people you've been talking to pre-flight pass you to go the other side of the curtain

***sighs and shakes head***

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I've flown first class to England and Canada a few times (thanks sis!), as well as business class from China. Yes, the food and drink service is a lot better, and it's easier to sleep, but it's not any type of life changing experience or anything. I am not really a first class type of dude though, so others may have a different perspective on it. My girlfriend, for instance, is addicted to it. She works for a pharmaceutical company, and they fly her first class everywhere. It is turning her into a bit of a brat.

YOU AINT NEVA LIED

***sighs and shakes head***

you forgotten yer fingersnap, sally.

I've flown first class to England and Canada a few times (thanks sis!), as well as business class from China. Yes, the food and drink service is a lot better, and it's easier to sleep, but it's not any type of life changing experience or anything. I am not really a first class type of dude though, so others may have a different perspective on it. My girlfriend, for instance, is addicted to it. She works for a pharmaceutical company, and they fly her first class everywhere. It is turning her into a bit of a brat.

The thing is: it is MUCH more pleasant. But is it worth the extra $$$? In my opinion, HELL NO.

10 hours of upgraded luxury is not worth an additional $1000 plus. I'd rather save that money to eat, you know, ON THE GROUND.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I like the leg room--beyond that, nothing to really get excited about.

Oh, come come now...I'm sure we can all agree, the [i]warm nuts/I> is where it's at.

Mmmm...warm nuts.

The thing is: it is MUCH more pleasant. But is it worth the extra $$$? In my opinion, HELL NO.

10 hours of upgraded luxury is not worth an additional $1000 plus. I'd rather save that money to eat, you know, ON THE GROUND.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like the food service you get is being bumped to three-star Michelin or anything. It is nice though, and quite comfortable - and there are plenty of people out there for whom $1000 is literally pocket change. Gotta spend it on something, right?

there are plenty of people out there for whom $1000 is literally pocket change. Gotta spend it on something, right?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I mean, with international, its less about the incredible luxury of first class than it is the incredible torture of over 10 hours in coach.

I flew coach to japan, and it was misery. I had a middle seat in a row of like 4 or 5 people i think, and it was a 9 hour battle for an armrest. Shitty.

I once flew international first class back from italy and it was baller. The food still sucks, but they present it a bit nicer. other than that, you can sleep. Which is a big deal if its a really long flight.

domestic first class is pretty blah though. worth it if its a free upgrade, or like 25 bucks or something, but beyond that its not neccesary.

Most of the big major airlines (especially delta) are so strapped for cash right now that whatever was once even sort of luxurious, is now bullshit. Crown room is now beefeater gin and tonics with no lime and some nasty looking celery sticks you dont wanna touch.

there are plenty of people out there for whom $1000 is literally pocket change. Gotta spend it on something, right?

First class time travel moves.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i showed up mad late for a flight once and they were calling my name on the intercom when i got to the gate. turns out they oversold so they slapped me in first class. it made the flight soooooo much better. i am not a huge fan of flying as it is and being about 6 foot 7, that extra leg room is well worth it for me! oh yeah, and drinking for free can't be beat.

• Man, I just spent about 4 hours in the Delta Crown Room lounge in Frankfurt and it was NICE. Bomb-ass snausages, fresh Stollen (Frohe Weinachten, y'all), good coffee, free bottles of Warsteiner, courtesy internet, and leather recliners for napping.

Our banker hooked us up with shmancy AmEx cards last year and one of the perks is membership with Priority Pass, which grants you access to all those lounges at no extra charge. It's normally $300/year, but they waived it for us. I still don't know why, but I'm not asking, either.

BTW: Rome's airport lounges have espresso bars.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts