Who's got a good travel agent?

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Going to Europe for the first time (finally!) in August, and some folks have recommended that I use a travel agent to book the flight (SF ---> Vienna) in order to get a cheaper fare. But none of them have any actual agents to recommend. Anybody? Beuller?

Comments

• Ive been to europe many times and have always done it myself..the last time I went, it took about 4 to 5 hours searching online(straight through solid), but I got round trip(from Memphis) to Rome for about $400. So, if you got the time...do it yourself...I dont think a travel agent will do that much better...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    you can take a hydrofoil boat down the Daube to Budapest. Budapest was much cooler than Vienna. Bathes.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    you can take a hydrofoil boat down the Daube to Budapest. Budapest was much cooler than Vienna. Bathes.

I may just have to do that. Actually, my itinerary is to spend a couple days in Vienna, take a cruise from Croatia to Venice, spend a day or two in Venice, then head back up to Vienna to fly home.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• august is an expensive month for europe. you will get a better deal searching yourself for the best deal. trust me i've flown to europe 50+ times.
    peace, stein. . .

• Check your PMs in a few!

BTW, Wifey and I just got back from Italy. Be prepared to hemorrhage money--the Euro is at about $1.48 right now.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    My experience is if possible it's best to buy your tickets direct from the airline you wanna fly. No bullshit middle men. I've had travel agents in the past and they were worthless. Couldn't help me when I needed help in other countries.

• they still make travel agents?

My experience is if possible it's best to buy your tickets direct from the airline you wanna fly.

Yeah, I've been doing a bunch of research on my own, and it seems like all the airlines' fares are close each other. (Just for shits and giggles, I checked out first-class fares...they start at around $9,000. Dare to dream!) The price is falling pretty much in the range I thought it would, but if a travel agent can save me a couple hundred bucks, that'd be fantastic.

The good part is that I won't have a whole lot of expenses once I'm there. The plane ticket is pretty much the bulk of the trip's cost.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    http://www.kayak.com/ searches 100+ sites for cheap fares.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Yeah, Vienna is beautiful, but maybe the most uptight place I've ever been.

Budapest is a surprisingly young city. It reminded me of Chicago for some reason.

And I can't see the Gellert baths now without thinking of "Cremaster 5".

http://www.kayak.com/ searches 100+ sites for cheap fares.

This site is Fares $400 cheaper than what I was finding before. Good lookin' out!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Going to Europe for the first time (finally!) in August, and some folks have recommended that I use a travel agent to book the flight (SF ---> Vienna) in order to get a cheaper fare. But none of them have any actual agents to recommend. Anybody? Beuller?

Are you planning to swing through London? Holla if so - I owe you a little hospitality.