I'm through with Gemm

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Its one thing to say an LP is "excellent" when its really "very good," and I would consider "very good" to be just that; not perfect, but clean and clear with perhaps a pop here and there or some light noise on one or two tracks or in between tracks. But how can somebody, in good conscience, call an LP "mint" that has obvious visual defects - like a big scuff across one side - and plays with constant noise (like it needs a good cleaning). Mint, they called it mint, and to me "mint" means clean and shiney like a new coin. (mint = just minted). I also was looking at records from another dealer on Gemm, and when you go to his grading page, he grades "sealed," "mint," "excellent," "very good" - with very good being the lowest grade he gives and equals visualy and audibly crapped out "scratches, background noise, skips." So I could contact the seller and complain, maybe get my money back, have to send him the record back and stand in line at the post office, but I really dont have the time or the patience for that. So fuck it. I'm done with Gemm.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    A. who cares?

B.glad you are unhappy, too bad your still breathing

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    hey Kala, post me up some of that great "art" you're always making.

I'll just go ahead and call your bullshit now, since I'll be leaving early today.

• Saba, i feel for you here; buying Brazilian records is ROUGH (i'm assuming that is what this is about). Best of luck finding a reliable dealer.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    hey Kala, post me up some of that great "art" you're always making.

This will have me laughing for the rest of the afternoon.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    expecting "VG" on the Internet to mean anything other than trashed =

expecting "VG" on the Internet to mean anything other than trashed =

thats not true, Superflyrecords "VG" is almost always excellent after a good cleaning. And guys like Allan Bastos, Plainmusic, and JandL always have good grading. Plus the fact that Gemm/Mara is charging 1 1/2 price or more for LPs you would think they would at least get the quality right.

Plus, I'm saying this was an LP graded as "mint" that turned out to be a "good" I understand that when you get into VG and VG+++ minds can differ, but mint is mint.

• expecting "VG" on the Internet to mean anything other than trashed =

thats not true, Superflyrecords "VG" is almost always excellent after a good cleaning.

gotta agree on Superfly, I even buy VG- from that dude without reservation. I have bought dozens of records from him with no problems...

• JandL

Sorry man but I have gotten seriously wrecked records from these dudes under the grades of "EX" and "VG++++"

gotta agree on Superfly, I even buy VG- from that dude without reservation. I have bought dozens of records from him with no problems...

Yeah, of course, there are online sellers who come correct,
    grade conservative, etc - but to expect a random seller to
    grade a clean record as "VG" is wishful thinking if you do
    any kind of internet buying. Hell, "VG+" is suspect in my
    experience. I try to only buy above "VG+" unless I'm desperate.

• Most of my Brazil (read: Jorge Ben) records have come via Superfly...That is after getting my first few (read: Gal Costa, Caetano) via Brazil, and :(

JandL

Sorry man but I have gotten seriously wrecked records from these dudes under the grades of "EX" and "VG++++"

Im surprised at that. I cant remember getting a poorly graded record from him, however his prices are high, and I know he was selling bootlegged copies of

cause I bought one and could tell from the way the cover was printed and I told him I would keep it at 1/3 price becuase it was a good bootleg and he fessed up with some story about how the records were real but the covers were all damaged so he had them remade or some other bullshit. But every few weeks he would have new copies of the same three or four records for sale, this being one of them.

• if Mara charged you OTT prices and you paid and didn't get, send it back for a refund and demand the return postage cost also. Then just wait for another seller to stock (superfly are top rate, there are other Brasil sellers also). This is not a beef with Gemm, it's a beef with one seller? What was the record btw, I also collect Brasil and have some doubles, you never know...

• Yeah I did two orders, one of which was great and the next one was piss poor. I kept most of the titles because they played pretty well but were not in sellable condition. Next time you're in the neighborhood swing by and I can show you what an "EX" Jorge Ben 1969 looked like.

Of course, like most Brazilian dealers, the excuse was "you cannot find these records clean in Brazil anymore! They PLAY excellent!" which, if it's true, is fine by me - as long as the grading and pricing reflects that reality.

thats what im saying. there are like three dealers I will buy from based on a very good +++ or excellent grading. But i thought i would take a chance on a "mint" grading from someone else. And I'm saying that 'Mint" is "mint" end of story. No "mint +++" or "very mint".

if Mara charged you OTT prices and you paid and didn't get, send it back for a refund and demand the return postage cost also. Then just wait for another seller to stock (superfly are top rate, there are other Brasil sellers also). This is not a beef with Gemm, it's a beef with one seller? What was the record btw, I also collect Brasil and have some doubles, you never know...

bonfa/deodato OST "Gentle Rain" its not even a brazilian pressing and came from a stateside dealer.

heres a nice youtube clip of the opening credits and title track i posted last week.

• No "mint +"

Tell that to Mylatency!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I understand that when you get into VG and VG+++ minds can differ, but mint is mint.

Agreed (and I would think most folks would agree with this as well).

thats what im saying. there are like three dealers I will buy from based on a very good +++ or excellent grading. But i thought i would take a chance on a "mint" grading from someone else. And I'm saying that 'Mint" is "mint" end of story. No "mint +++" or "very mint".

Yeah, of course - in fact, we had a discussion on here not too
    long ago where I pointed out that sellers who use "Mint" make
    me nervous, because rarely is anything "MINT" and if a seller
    looks at a record and sees NOTHING wrong with it, then they most
    likely just don't know how to grade at all. NM makes me more
    comfortable than MINT. Anyway, yes, you were right to expect an
    extremely clean record if it was graded Mint. The whole VG debate
    was an offshoot of something you said early in the thread.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In what order should these grades be from best to worst....

Mint
    Near Mint
    Mint-

• In what order should these grades be from best to worst....

Mint
    Near Mint
    Mint-

1. Mint
    2. Mint-
    3. Near Mint

• I had the opposite experience lately. The last 2 records I bought off GEMM have both arrived better than expected. One was marked as something like "VG, has one mark and otherwise looks & plays mint" and true enough was at least VG+ with only one hairline on it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Mint
    Near Mint
    Mint-

this is a trick question isn't it?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Mint
    Near Mint
    Mint-

Can I point out that gemm is not a seller and gemm does no grading. If someone sold you misgraded records then cross that seller off your list not the web site he advertised on.

I once had to try to return records that were completely trashed to a seller. When I took a closer look at her grading system it was like this:
    N+ (New Plus)
    N
    N-
    M+
    M
    M-
    NM+
    NM
    NM-
    EX+....

That was way back in the Goldmine days.

More resently I've seen this grading system
    M then graded 1-10 such as M (7) Meaning it wasn't as mint as a mint 8 but minter than a mint 6
    Then the same 1-10 then is used for NM, EX, VG...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    JandL

Im surprised at that. I cant remember getting a poorly graded record from him, however his prices are high, and I know he was selling bootlegged copies of

cause I bought one and could tell from the way the cover was printed and I told him I would keep it at 1/3 price becuase it was a good bootleg and he fessed up with some story about how the records were real but the covers were all damaged so he had them remade or some other bullshit. But every few weeks he would have new copies of the same three or four records for sale, this being one of them.

The Papudinho isn't a real bootleg, because the records (vinyl) are original.
    Two sellers I know met Papudinho's wife and bought from her about 80 coverless copies of
    the record that still were in the record company cardboard boxes.
    These sellers paid for someone to print new covers; this is why they look shady.
    And the sellers let everybody, who was interested in buying the Papudinho's album, know
    that the cover was not OG.

Peace

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hell - I'm just trying to get a decent copy of Caetano Veloso's 1969 LP for a non-exorbitant price. Help!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've had "NM-" and "VG+" records which played like shit from dealers on this very board. "Will never do business with again."

Never used Gemm.

The Papudinho isn't a real bootleg, because the records (vinyl) are original.
    Two sellers I know met Papudinho's wife and bought from her about 80 coverless copies of
    the record that still were in the record company cardboard boxes.
    These sellers paid for someone to print new covers; this is why they look shady.

Possibly

And the sellers let everybody, who was interested in buying the Papudinho's album, know

Absolutely not.

Hell - I'm just trying to get a decent copy of Caetano Veloso's 1969 LP for a non-exorbitant price. Help!

Can't remember what record is the one you want.
    Is it the one with the white cover or the psychedelic cover?

Peace

Absolutely not.

I'm talking about the sellers who bought the coverless records and made the fake covers,
    and not about the seller who sold it to you.

Peace