got a little situation here

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
sold a 45 on ebay for about $280 to some cat in irelandinsured the package for $300. i really didnt want any funny business happening with the record.now i marked gift on the customs sticker. dude emails me today and said he had to pay a tarriff of $79 because the insurance amount was on the package.he is askin me what is supposed to happen now?i take it he wants to be reimbursed for the $79.has this happened to any of you?what did you do?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Did he specify how he wanted it shipped to avoid tarriffs? If you followed his specifications and he still had to pay for it, I would tell him tough shit. If you really wish to avoid negative feedback, ask him to provide a receipt of the payment and offer to split the cost or something.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    this has never happened to me, but i dont sell records on ebay. i do buy them though, and if i was the receiver, i would at least like to split the cost with you. its a shitty spot to be in, for both of you. good luck.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

It happens all the time in canada. If you declare the amount, you pay duties & tariffs. Its like sales tax, it sucks, but its a fact of life. TSL says they won't falcify receits for this very reason. There's no real way around it, unless you say the item was a gift & say its worth 5 bucks. The dude can keep the bill & claim it on his income tax...If dealers paid dudes everytime this happened, shit would be fucked up...

h

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ask him to provide a receipt of the payment and offer to split the cost or something.

• chrischris 287 Posts

insured the package for $300. i really didnt want any funny business happening with the record.

so you insured it without him asking you to?
    if so, he might have a point....

• I feel like the burden is on the buyer to make clear what they want written on the customs forms to the dealer if they wish to avoid paying tariffs. Ideally they should ask the dealer (before they even bid on the item) if the dealer is willing to falsify the customs forms. At the very least they should say what they want marked on the customs form when they submit their payment. I don't think you should refund the guy unless you had an agreement that the true value would not be declared.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks a lot yall
    splittin the cost was what i went with
    dude is happy

peace and thanks again for the suggestions