PROSUMER VIDEO QUESTION [NRR]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
please to help.i am kinda in the market for a prosumer camera. i like 24p but dont think i can afford a 24p with hdv capabilities. if i went for purely minidv 24p camera, would i be going for a format that is gon be unusable in the near future? like within the next couple of years or so? should i just go with the hdv format and forget about the nice 24p mode? help plaese! thanks

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    CES has just started. Maybe you'll see something wicked drop in the next few days.

• im not looking for the newest shit but thanks.

• I would suggest looking for something that uses the HDV codec, or sony's DVCAM format. If you are going to be doing anything action/guerrilla style the low drop out rate is a godsend. I'm lead to believe that Panasonic's DVCPRO is even better, but I don't have any personal experience on it.

• hmm, yeah, i was wondering about the 24p and handheld stuffs. i take it the 24p doesnt handle well with action/motion stuffs. or am i wrong?

• You are battling 2 things -

1)the interframe compression (which is actually higher in HDV I think, to make room for the MPEG-2 compression) leaves you with motion artifacts - basically either the faint 80's video multiple outline on block colours or chunks of pixels from previous frames.

2)dropout errors - basically the frame locking up and a piece missing.

I'm not a pro or anything, just hang around & work on shorts with people alot.

• hmmm. sounds like u lean toward the hd cameras. wait so if the hdv is compressed even more are there not problems with hdv having ghost problems and dropouts?