Smooth Operator Mix Help

mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
For some reason I just had a flash back to a remix of Sade's Smooth Operator I heardabout 8 years ago that brought back good memories. Unfortunately, I dont remember many details that I can describe other than it had a very cool syncopated beat (kinda drum and bass sounding but not as fast...I think)I had a look on soulseek and elsewhere and found a "White Label Mix", a "2001 Mix"and a "House Mix". It's none of those.I know this is uber-vague, but if anyone has a Smooth Operator mix that they can up,maybe Ill get lucky. Thx in adavnce.

Comments

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Anyone have an idea on this one?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Was is an "Official" mix?

Was is an "Official" mix?
    Good question. I really dont know...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The official "Smooth Operator" mix is an extended mix of the original song. The original song from the 1984 Diamond Life LP is 5:00. The official extended remix is 5:45 with the drums at the start of the song extended like 2 bars. The end of the song is extended with a short Stuart Matthewman sax solo. It is really not much different from the original. There are a lot of white lable house and down tempo remixes.

oh yeah, I know that extended mix. Like you say, it's similar to the original...just a bit longer. No, that's not the one.

There are a lot of white lable house and down tempo remixes.
    Yeah, I suppose Ill keep searching.
    Ill probably find it eventually and then be very disappointed that it wasn't actually as good as I remember.

• Cottonbelly.

Tonearm, thanks. Dont know if it's the one, but can you up it somewhere by any chance?

• I have this white label d&b 12". I don't mind sharing, but I have no good way to digitize the vinyl.

Really dig Matthewman productions. has anyone ever compiled Sade b-sides and other non-lp cuts?

I have this white label d&b 12". I don't mind sharing, but I have no good way to digitize the vinyl.
    ah ok, no worries then. If you do get around to digitizing, let me know.
    thx anyway.

PS: there are a tonne of threads about how to convert LP to mp3/wav/etc

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    anyone ever grab that Sweetback release that came out in the late 90s... supposedly all of Sade's band...mainly instrumental....

Ive heard a d n b remix a few years back...didnt do it for me, didnt suit. Was the version you heard a 'mash up' or str8 up remix? (Im interested in hearing any new mix of this tune..very classy track by a very sexy lady...)

Was the version you heard a 'mash up' or str8 up remix?
    heh, even if I knew the difference, I dont think I can remember it well enough unfortunately.

Im interested in hearing any new mix of this tune..very classy track by a very sexy lady
    agreed

(Nice to see another Sydney-sider here too)

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Sydney represent.....

If your a fan of the lady...I suggest you check for that Sweetback record. As far as i know it was only one LP done, and cause its instrumental you really get to appreciate how tight Sade's band are....

has she ever been down to Australia? I'd love to see her perform. Maybe she'll come down for the next East Coast Blues Festival or something...

cheers...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Sweetback have released two albums. Please to check some of the singles....

"You Will Rise" featuring Amel Larrieux on vocals

DOPE SONG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    anyone ever grab that Sweetback release that came out in the late 90s... supposedly all of Sade's band...mainly instrumental....

This is the second outing.

This is the first one.