New Orleans Strutters: Where's Da Records???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hey New Orleans Strutters,Where are those records, holmes-slizzles? I'll be down your way from February 21st through the 24th for a conference. I was wondering if there are some record shops you could put me up on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, it would be nice for y'all to tell me where to grab some great N'awlins cuisine.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hey New Orleans Strutters,

Where are those records, holmes-slizzles? I'll be down your way from February 21st through the 24th for a conference. I was wondering if there are some record shops you could put me up on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, it would be nice for y'all to tell me where to grab some great N'awlins cuisine.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks,

Not sure where the vinyl is these days but you MUST eat at Drago's over in Metarie.

Get the charbroiled oysters, you will thank me later.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the record shops shouldn't be too hard to find:

Jim Russell's Records - Magazine Street in the lower Garden district
    Rock and Roll Collectibles - Decatur Street in the quarter
    Louisiana Music Factory - upstairs - Decatur Street at the other end of the quarter by Canal
    Domino Sounds - Bayou Street (new shop that opened a year or so ago)

i believe that's all that's left at this point...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    the record shops shouldn't be too hard to find:

Jim Russell's Records - Magazine Street in the lower Garden district
    Rock and Roll Collectibles - Decatur Street in the quarter
    Louisiana Music Factory - upstairs - Decatur Street at the other end of the quarter by Canal
    Domino Sounds - Bayou Street (new shop that opened a year or so ago)

i believe that's all that's left at this point...

Thanks dudes (you too, Rock, on the food tip)!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• more food tip...was a few years ago i was in nawlins, but everyone visiting must eat lunch at Uglische's (spelling close) affectionately known by locals as Ugli's. is this still open? it's not far from french quarter...went with me ex-wifey and they was still executing the days lunch menu! FRESH

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    more food tip...was a few years ago i was in nawlins, but everyone visiting must eat lunch at Uglische's (spelling close) affectionately known by locals as Ugli's. is this still open? it's not far from french quarter...went with me ex-wifey and they was still executing the days lunch menu! FRESH

No doubt the best spot ever in NO.......honestly, the best meal I have ever eaten.

They only served lunch.

Closed down before Katrina.

RIP

On my first visit there we had to wait on line for about an hour on the street. Some dude that worked there who had to be in his 80's came out with a boom box and treated us to some Al Jolson Karaoke. The place next door that we were standing in front of was obviously a crack house as we watched 10 crackheads come and go during that hour.

Once inside it was like being in a condemned building 10 minutes before it was to be torn down......the food was heavenly and they served Chimay......I had "Paul's Fantasy" which was broiled sea trout with a crawfish/shrimp sauce.

I only got to go 3 times but I do have the cookbook they put out autographed by old man Uglesich himself........unfortunately, regardless how good a cook you might be, you just can't duplicate the atmosphere that place had.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bump.

I'll be in NOLA in May (for only the 2nd time ever and the first time, I was on assignment and didn't get to do any individual traveling).

Where the grub spots at? Cheap and fine = all good.

(and uh, PM w/ the record spots!)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Is Peaches still open?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    peaches open - yes.

What was the name of that old record store that was set up sort of like a library - just right across the river? You had to go behind the counter, find the records and then take them to the front desk and they would price them out of a book. I found plenty of records there in my day, I just can't remember the name of the store.

• I'm pretty sure I've added all our record stores to the city guide, but Manny, PM me and I can try to put you in touch w/some other folks as well.

tons of amazing eating spots to recommend, and at the rate we've been opening good, new restaurants recently who knows what will be available by May.

any particular criteria you have in mind, or just want some general essential must-haves?

feel free to pm w/any other ?s about NOLA.

• willie_fugal said:
    I'm pretty sure I've added all our record stores to the city guide, but Manny, PM me and I can try to put you in touch w/some other folks as well.

tons of amazing eating spots to recommend, and at the rate we've been opening good, new restaurants recently who knows what will be available by May.

any particular criteria you have in mind, or just want some general essential must-haves?

Willie, is Tyrone still around? three way Eddie's spot?
    hope they are ok

is bricenice still buying records?

i miss NO, but ive been scared to go back post KAtrina. i fear change. hope things are bouncing back

NOLA been done bounced back in a big way.

• HarveyCanal said:

thats good to hear! does it meet your standards of a good bounce back?
    i know there was lots of rumblings of a complete wave of gentrification land grab

• tripledouble said:

Willie, is Tyrone still around? three way Eddie's spot?
    hope they are ok

is bricenice still buying records?

yep, yep, yep.

Brice actually had a baby about 2 months ago! homie's doing well.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Try Euclid's .I haven't been to the physical location, but I have purchased from them on ebay with positive results.

tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

i know there was lots of rumblings of a complete wave of gentrification land grab

Well yeah, I don't think there will be any significant undoing of all the longtime residents, mostly of color, who were forced into permanent exile by Katrina.

But when I visited the Lower 9th Ward last year, it was merely a case of fewer people and houses. It's certainly a shame on one hand, but conditions were so bad there even pre-Katrina that 1. most of the people who left found better lives in other cities, and 2. it's not a desirable area for corporate investment, thus the Lower 9th will remain a hood for those who are essentially forced to make the most of living below sea level in a town that often floods.

Plus, it's not like tourists ever frequent places like the Lower 9th, so to visitors any changes there go mostly unnoticed.

• HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Well yeah, I don't think there will be any significant undoing of all the longtime residents, mostly of color, who were forced into permanent exile by Katrina.

But when I visited the Lower 9th Ward last year, it was merely a case of fewer people and houses. It's certainly a shame on one hand, but conditions were so bad there even pre-Katrina that 1. most of the people who left found better lives in other cities, and 2. it's not a desirable area for corporate investment, thus the Lower 9th will remain a hood for those who are essentially forced to make the most of living below sea level in a town that often floods.

Plus, it's not like tourists ever frequent places like the Lower 9th, so to visitors any changes there go mostly unnoticed.

yeah i was kindof slumming when i was there, and i grew to appreciate the decadent crumbling feel of everything. magnolia projects, all the way over to lake ponchartrain amusement park wreckage type of stuff. feel what youre saying tho that people probably moved onto better lives. hope so

willie_fugal said:

Essential must-haves. Doesn't even have to be "local" cuisine (i.e. I don't need to know where the best gumbo is...unless it's some gumbo that will change my life).

mannybolone said:
    willie_fugal said:

Essential must-haves. Doesn't even have to be "local" cuisine (i.e. I don't need to know where the best gumbo is...unless it's some gumbo that will change my life).

Can't recommend enough that you use your time in NOLA to eat as much Cajun/Creole food as possible.

It will indeed change your life.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    more food tip...was a few years ago i was in nawlins, but everyone visiting must eat lunch at Uglische's (spelling close) affectionately known by locals as Ugli's. is this still open? it's not far from french quarter...went with me ex-wifey and they was still executing the days lunch menu! FRESH

No doubt the best spot ever in NO.......honestly, the best meal I have ever eaten.

They only served lunch.

Closed down before Katrina.

RIP

On my first visit there we had to wait on line for about an hour on the street. Some dude that worked there who had to be in his 80's came out with a boom box and treated us to some Al Jolson Karaoke. The place next door that we were standing in front of was obviously a crack house as we watched 10 crackheads come and go during that hour.

Once inside it was like being in a condemned building 10 minutes before it was to be torn down......the food was heavenly and they served Chimay......I had "Paul's Fantasy" which was broiled sea trout with a crawfish/shrimp sauce.

I only got to go 3 times but I do have the cookbook they put out autographed by old man Uglesich himself........unfortunately, regardless how good a cook you might be, you just can't duplicate the atmosphere that place had.

Rock.... I swear to god I could smell crawfish after that description.

HarveyCanal said:
    mannybolone said:
    willie_fugal said:

Can't recommend enough that you use your time in NOLA to eat as much Cajun/Creole food as possible.

It will indeed change your life.

Drop le knowledge! I'm down for whatever.

Meh???not the great Peaches Records of the past, but it???s right in the French Quarter which will make it convenient for most visitors. I???ve never really come up here at all, but they???ve got a good amount of records so it can be worth stopping in for a glance. Don???t expect great things though.

Back when it was on Gentilly, Peaches wasn't so much great for records...although you could still find some stuff there, but for local rap/bounce cassettes and cd's. Now that they've reopened in the Quarter, is Peaches still ground zero for all of that?