Prefuse 73 live ?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Im thinking of checking out Prefuse 73 live this weekend and was just wondering if anyone has ever seen him live before.He is headlining a venue and not a "club", so im assuming it will be more than just a DJ performance.Anyone ever seen him live before? Just wondering what to expect or if maybe I should skip it.

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I've seen him live. Skip it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i saw him like 4 years back and if I recall, one of the drummers from Tortoise played with him and the show was pretty fresh.

but yeah, if he is playing by himself (pasue), it may be on some laptop snoozefest.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've seen him live. Skip it.

laptop snoozefest

5 years ago, saw him right after Rjd2 tore through a 60 minute soul/funk/breakbeat set. Tough act to follow.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    prefuse live when i saw him over 5 yrs ago was him on a laptop and some other equipment. with the audience, it was lots of standing around, arms crossed, head bobbin.

if you have nothing better to do, i might suggest you check it out since you're already interested. this way you can know what it's like for yourself and don't bother again. or if you care about your money and time, just say no.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    If you like his music then go. I saw him a few years back with blockhead. I didn't really know blockheads stuff that well and walked away a fan just from how good his live show was. Prefuse who i really liked didn't come across live that well. It might of been how crap the venue was. The space was too big for him. The bad sound Or the fact that for some reason a whole bunch of hipsters went. Who obviously had no idea who scott heron was or what kind of music he did. He walked on stage and began playing for like half an hour befoe people really took notice.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Thanks for all the input.
    I think I will go check him out just to see what he does/sounds like live.
    I really dig some of his records and am curious how he presents it onstage.
    I'll report back on Monday.

• I saw him play after battles with a full band. Though he was just scratching into a delay... which was really gay. But the rest of the band really interpreted his stuff well. Though honestly... it was dissapointing. Check him out though... he does new shit everytime.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I caught that Prefuse/RJD2 show that was like 5 years ago. I was really into the whole show, but I was also really into both of them at the time. They did some stuff together that was great. He also was on 4 turntables recreating a lot of his songs live. I can see how it could be a bit on the boring side if he doing the apple-core thing.