James Browns Best dance-floor filler?

LawrenceLawrence 125 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
thoughts?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    well, a lot of his stuff was custom-made for the dance floor, so thats an impossibly broad question

i mean, you can talk about rare funk 45's for days, but if youre DJing a soul-funk night you can never go wrong with a JB number (specially if its from the '69-'75 era). thats like "funk 101" comfort food. "hot pants" (the 45 version)? "the payback"? just take your pick.

• My fav is "get up, get into it, get involved", but there are so many to choose from.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I always like "I Got Ants In My Pants (and I need to dance)".

• few of his tunes had the shher dynamism of

[color:purple] THERE IT IS [/b] [/color]

Impossible to stay put when that riff come our from the speakers

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    well, a lot of his stuff was custom-made for the dance floor, so thats an impossibly broad question

i mean, you can talk about rare funk 45's for days, but if youre DJing a soul-funk night you can never go wrong with a JB number (specially if its from the '69-'75 era). thats like "funk 101" comfort food. "hot pants" (the 45 version)? "the payback"? just take your pick.

Agreed. But I'll take the bait: Lyn Collins' "(Think) About It" seems to get a ton of a vocal feedback from the folks that know it immediately.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Cross The Tracks

• "It's a New Day"

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Get Up Offa That Thing

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I segued from Blind alley into Soul Power only a mater of hours ago, and to great dance-floor effect!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "sex machine" always packs a floor whether its a funk-soul night, wedding or downtown club. at least in my experience...

• Get Up Offa That Thing

This one causes a frenzy every time.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    "Bring it up" always seems to do it for me.

• on 'Hot Pants'...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    You guys have hit most of my faves. I do like that 12" edit of "Mind Power". Shit slays the floor.

• I Can't Stand It.

"I feel so funky, I want to take off my watch and rings."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "sex machine" always packs a floor whether its a funk-soul night, wedding or downtown club. at least in my experience...

My personal favorites aside, I gotta ride for this one as the best all-purpose dancefloor rocker. Some of the deeper JB cuts will move the heads, but it's hard for anyone to front when "fellas I'm ready to get up and do my thang" comes on.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

That song will make my grandma get up and dance. Grandma doesn't usually get up and dance.

on 'Hot Pants'...

I don't know what the hell JB was thinking rerecording that song for the Hot Pants album, because the single cannot be matched no kind of way...I ask you, who else can wring THAT much emotion out of one chord? Yeah, I know the song has a bridge, but it's that one-chord vamp that carries the load.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

My personal favorites aside, I gotta ride for this one as the best all-purpose dancefloor rocker. Some of the deeper JB cuts will move the heads, but it's hard for anyone to front when "fellas I'm ready to get up and do my thang" comes on.

Exactamundo. Some of these other cuts will work great with somewhat headier crowds, but "Sex Machine" will work anytime, anywhere.

(Personally, I'm into "Talkin' Loud Sayin' Nothing" these days.)

• thanks for the knowledge guys!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    on 'Hot Pants'...

I don't know what the hell JB was thinking rerecording that song for the Hot Pants album, because the single cannot be matched no kind of way...I ask you, who else can wring THAT much emotion out of one chord? Yeah, I know the song has a bridge, but it's that one-chord vamp that carries the load.

i tend to try to get more JB albums than 45s, but hot pants? i got the purple AND white label versions.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209VsqIbZRo

• HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

I have it on a Bethlehem 45, never seen it (or heard of it) on an LP.

HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

WOW! thanks for reminding me of probably my favorite james brown record i have. i love this track. one of my few ebay purchases but i just had to have it!

does anybody know why it was released on bethlehem?i know it's King-related but its still confusing. im also kind of confused as to why this is credited to JB, as he doesnt sing or play on it, and didnt write it...

regardless i might go as far as to say this is one of my favorite JB tracks ever.

• HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

WOW! thanks for reminding me of probably my favorite james brown record i have. i love this track. one of my few ebay purchases but i just had to have it!

does anybody know why it was released on bethlehem?i know it's King-related but its still confusing. im also kind of confused as to why this is credited to JB, as he doesnt sing or play on it, and didnt write it...

regardless i might go as far as to say this is one of my favorite JB tracks ever.

I'm not sure how to explain the crossover, but aren't there some Dee Felice Trio things on Bethlehem as well?

I'm not sure how to explain the crossover, but aren't there some Dee Felice Trio things on Bethlehem as well?

yeah, but its more confusing to me that out of nowhere james brown would release ONE 45 on bethlehem. is there a story behind this release anywhere? seems kinda mysterious overall....

The Dee Felice Trio was on Bethlehem. A jazz-lounge group on King's jazz-lounge subsidiary. Don't know how JB himself wound up there, although his first Bethlehem single (there were two JB/Bethlehem singles in all) was a cover of "I Loves You Porgy," previously a hit on the same label for Nina Simone.

• I'm not sure how to explain the crossover, but aren't there some Dee Felice Trio things on Bethlehem as well?

The Dee Felice Trio was on Bethlehem. A jazz-lounge group on King's jazz-lounge subsidiary. Don't know how JB himself wound up there, although his first Bethlehem single (there were two JB/Bethlehem singles in all) was a cover of "I Loves You Porgy," previously a hit on the same label for Nina Simone.

there is an LP on King with James backed by the Dee Felice trio...

(there were two JB/Bethlehem singles in all)

ah, i always thought there was only one. STILL doesnt make much sense to me as why "the drunk" was on bethlehem. wasnt he still under the dual-contract thing at that point, as in, since "the drunk" was instrumental, if he didnt want it to be a king release couldnt he just as easily have put it out on Smash? or was he through with smash at that point. either way something tells me "the drunk" 45 was pretty much a throw-away record that either King or JB himself decided shouldnt be released on his main label....but im just guessing here.

(there were two JB/Bethlehem singles in all)

ah, i always thought there was only one. STILL doesnt make much sense to me as why "the drunk" was on bethlehem. wasnt he still under the dual-contract thing at that point, as in, since "the drunk" was instrumental, if he didnt want it to be a king release couldnt he just as easily have put it out on Smash? or was he through with smash at that point.

He was through with Smash by then (1970).

Also, according to JB's autobiography, the other side of "The Drunk" is "A Man Has To Go Back To The Crossroads," a vocal tune that later wound up on the Super Bad LP.

either way something tells me "the drunk" 45 was pretty much a throw-away record that either King or JB himself decided shouldnt be released on his main label....but im just guessing here.

I had a theory that JB was trying to make a vague play for the jazz market by recording instrumentals for King's jazz label, but then again that doesn't explain "...Crossroads," which is a straight soul ballad.