pre-war country..whats good?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
ive been digitizing country 78s from the 20s all day and I am diggin it...mostly Okeh stuff, buncha N.T. Narmour and S.W. Smith sides, Texas Night Hawks, and some columbia and Vocalion stuff..really like the Cartwright Bros...any heads into this stuff..Pickwick im lookin at you..

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ive been digitizing country 78s from the 20s all day and I am diggin it...mostly Okeh stuff, buncha N.T. Narmour and S.W. Smith sides, Texas Night Hawks, and some columbia and Vocalion stuff..really like the Cartwright Bros...any heads into this stuff..Pickwick im lookin at you..

And I'm lookin' straight back. I have this stuff on long-out-of-print LP's and CD's (plus a reish 45 by Gid Tanner & the Skillet Lickers!), but no 78's. But I'm into this era just the same.

Some random off-the-head picks:
    - Allen Bros. (got a reish album on Old Timey)
    - Wilmer Watts & the Lonely Eagles ("Been On The Job Too Long")
    - The Railroad In Song (long unavailable LP from RCA Victor - it's in their old "Vintage Series" with the wine bottles on the cover, pure class!)
    - Uncle Dave Macon
    - Hobart Smith (I don't think he recorded until the early sixties, but he's definitely from the generation we're talking about)

Currently looking for:
    - that Yazoo album of white blues singers, featuring a weird 70's era photo of a black guy in whiteface and vice versa...I forget the title, wonder if it ever got reissued on CD