SOUL TO SOUL VS. WATTSTAX

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Which was the better "blackumentary," and why?In this corner...SOUL TO SOULLes McCann & Eddie Harris/Voices Of East Harlem/Santana/Wilson Pickett/Ike & Tina Turner/Roberta Flack (in the movie, removed from the DVD at her own request)/various uncredited local groups from AfricaIn the other corner...WATTSTAXIsaac Hayes/Rufus Thomas/Bar-Kays/the Rance Allen Group/Johnnie Taylor (in the movie, but not at the festival)/Little Milton (see Johnnie Taylor)/Albert KingIn both corners...The Staple SingersWhich early 70's soul doc was the best?(I would have included SAVE THE CHILDREN and IT'S YOUR THING, but not enough people have seen those - at least not in a long time...DVD release, pleez!)

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    removed from the DVD at her own request

Why was that anyway? That was a bit of a dissapointment when I first bought it. Still a great doc, though. Wattstax too. Can't choose. Sorry.

• IT'S YOUR THING

has this been released on dvd or is there a torrent for it?

speaking of roberta flack, i saw a concert of hers from the mid-70's on public television a couple of years ago with idris muhammad and was wondering if anyone has a copy of that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    removed from the DVD at her own request

Why was that anyway? That was a bit of a dissapointment when I first bought it. Still a great doc, though.

evidently, roberta wanted to focus on her "current" career

(i know, makes no sense to me either...if she's gonna give that as a reason, she may as well ask atlantic to delete all her albums)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    WattsStax for the Richard Pryor and Ted Lange factor.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm a huge Wattstax booster, but embarrassed to admit I've never seen Soul to Soul. Gotta rectify that soon.

On an only semi-related note, anyone else seen Frederick Wiseman's doc Juvenile Court? Very sad snapshot of the legal problems of everyday people -- but, shot in Memphis in 1973, there's so much Stax-inflected style and attitude in the air, it's very worthwhile for people fascinated by that time and place.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    IT'S YOUR THING

has this been released on dvd or is there a torrent for it?

i dont think its on DVD, and i dont know of any torrent.

i asked ronnie isley about that on a call-in radio show, and he said that the isleys own the rights to that movie and were considering a DVD reissue, but he was probably talking just to be talking. although i did see a clip of the isley bros. from that flick at the Stax Museum...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i got given a copy of wattstax from a mate 2 months before he hang himself.
    so its a bit hard to watch it nowadays.
    never seen the other.