NZ Digs

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Well the super successful Lions tour is now drawing to a close with just two games left for us to regain a tiny amount of pride. Despite the rugby being decidely average NZ has been awesome. Great people, beautiful scenery, yes all the cliches are true! Managed to pick up quite a few records in the end with a few surprises. Not alot of NZ only stuff but one gem in there at least. 90% of the records were under $10 (4 pounds) with the most expensive record being just over 10 pounds. Everything was bought from record shops, junk shops and the odd bits from op shops. I picked up loads of trades (doubles) which I'm open to offers on. Any comments, details, etc welcomed. Formigo, if your reading this I'm still hoping to hook up with you after the final test, I leave for OZ on Wednesday morning. I've already been to Real Groovy in Auck but there was a ton of stuff there that I left that you probably know but there might be one or two things I can put you on to and vice versa.Found the following (in no particular order!):Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter (Double) - Title track is a great reworking of the Stones number.Rodger Fox Big Band - Time Piece - NZ big Band jazz with a couple of interesting moments.Amral's Trinidad Cavaliers - Steel Vibrations - (Double) - Features a cool version of Evil Ways that the Beasties sampled.Enoch Light - 4 Channel Dynamite - Some typical Light covers on here, has its moments.Renee Geyer - Really, really Love you - (Double) - Aussie vocalist that gets real funky in places.Quincey Conserve - Epitaph - NZ band as featured on VV mixes. Contains one of my fav tracks from the swaps "Aire of Good Feeling"Nina Simone - Save Me 7"Madeline Bell - This is One Girl - (Double) - That's What Friends are for, classic.James Last - Voodoo Party - (Double) - James's best effort in my opinion.Al Caiola - Let the Sunshine in - (Double) - Cool 60's covers.John Gregory - The Detectives - (Double) - Lot of talk about this one on the site recently.Renee Geyer - Ready to Deal - (Double) - Another LP from the funky female OZ Vocalist.Von Freeman - Doing it Right Now - Funky jazz.Rodger Fox Big Band + Novi Singers - Montreux 81 - Probably too late, not listened to this yet.Louie Bellson - Breakthrough - (Double) - At least 3 funky jazz tracks on here.Pete Jolly - Seasons - Been after this for a while, nice to find for a couple of bucks.The Peddlers 7" - Girlie / PS I Love you - Hammond!!John Berberian - Music and the Gibran - (Double) - Had this track on tape years ago from a Gilles P show but without a title, spent ages finally tracking it down and now have a double for some lucky fellow!Alive - Call it Jazz - (Double) - Female jazz scat vocals.Claude Denjean - Open Circuit - (Double) - Kiss This is funky moog at its best.Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine of your Love - (Double) - Great title track.Woody Herman - Thundering Herd - (Double) - Couple of funky big band numbers.Thad Jones + Mel Lewis Orch - Features one of the best versions of GOMLW.Doc Severinsen + Now generation Brass - 60's madness!Ray Davis - Why Can't we be Lovers - (Double) - Features his blax great Truckin.Sergio mendes + Brasil 66 - Live at Expo 70 - Great version of Mas Que Nada.Wild Thing - Partying - 60's covers with organ.Merl Saunders - Fire Up - (Double) - Funky organ jazz.Electronic Concept Orch - Moog Groove - (Double) - Picked up 2 copies with completely different sleeves.Big Jullien and his All Stars 7" - The Big Team / Opening - (Double) - Found this for 50c in a box of shite. Euro funk dosn't get much better than this!!Sail Joia - ST - (Double) - Contains the epic Brasillian track Go for the Others.Jeff Hest - Tip of the Iceberg - Funky jazz Rock.Sounds Orchestral - Wigwam - (Double) - Best LP of theirs that I've heard.The Glass Bottle - ST - (Double) - Belson included a track from this on one of his CD's so the highest recommendation!Roland Thyssen - Piano Perfection - Amongst the crap are a couple of funky tunes.Duke Ellington - Afro Euroasian Eclipse - (Double) - Deep afro jazz on hereDudley Moore Trio - Today - (Double) - Contains Song for Suzy as discussed on here.Bill Black Combo - Rock n Roll Forever - Couple of funky numbers.Jack Traylor + Steelwind - Child of Nature - (Double) - This used to crop up on lists when folk funk was at its peak.Cher - 3614 Jackson Highway - (Double) - Walk on Gilded Splinters as featured by our own Rich Hero!Brian Auger + Julie Driscoll - Streetnoise - (Double) - Their best and most desirable LP.Cozy Eggleston - Whammin and Slammin - Private press jazz.Mandingo - Sacrifice - (Double) - UK library bods get double funky.The Chapparals Soul Sound - Times to remember - Rare garage soul.Freddie KIng 7" - Aint no SunshineThe Peddlers 7" - Tell the World Were not inBrothers Johnson 7" - Strawberry Letter 23John Sangster - Australia and all that Jazz Vol 1+2 - Some beautiful straight jazz on here and a couple of funky tunes.Stereo 70 Orch - Viva Stereo 70 - (Double) - Johhny Pearson group with a great version of Viva Tirado.Hard Meat - Through a Window - (Double) - Couple of classic folk funk numbers on here that used to get played out.Feelin James 12" - Classic cut n Paste.Arif Marden + Richard Harris - The Prophet, same concept as the Berbarian LP from earlier.Carla Bley - Dinner Music - (Double) - One great funky sampled track.Miller Anderson - Bright City - Bought because on Deram and actually quite folky funky in parts.Acker Bilk - Acker International - Seen this LP talked about on here but not seen one until now, Acra Raga.Mom's Apple Pie - ST - (Double) - I just Wanna Make Love to you and the banned cover!!John and Beverly Martin - Stormbringer - (Double) - Long been a fav of mine, some sublime songs on here.Bill Black's Combo - Forever - (Double) - Cotton carnival is double funky, someone put it on one of their CD's?Ollie Mitchell's Sunday Band - Blast Off - Private press big band jazz that has its moments.Carlos Garnett - Black Love - Beautiful deep black jazz, very funky.Nancy Ames - Latin Pulse - (Double) - Cacara is great dancefloor material.Shake Keane - Dig it - (Double) - Funky 60's covers.101 Strings - Sounds of Today - (Double) - Their second best LP after Astro Sounds.Manfred Mann - Soul of Mann - Great LP of 60's material, all instrumentals with tons of hammond!Urbie Green - Green Power - (Double) - Super Funky LP, as played at a couple of Brillos.John Lord - Gemini Suite - (Double) - Organ is a great track.Boots Randolph - Boots with Brass - Tons of cool covers on here.John Gregory - A man for all Seasons - (Double) - UK Classic!Henry Mancini - Symphonic Soul - (Double) - A Beautiful funky LP.Marcia Hines - Marcia Shines - (Double) - Used to command a high price in the UK.Perrey and Kingsley - Kaleidoscopic Vibrations - Moog Madness!Percy Faith - Corazon - (Double) - Contains the best version of First Light, sublime!!Daly Wilson Big Band - On Tour - (Double) - Versions of Shaft and Ode to Billie Joe.Rodriguez - At His Best - I've had his LP Cold Fact for a number of years now but never come across this one.Illustration - ST - Funky jazz rock.BTW Music LIbrary - Sounds Between Us Play Sweet and Funky - SERMS, help!! I've never seen this UK lib label before, do you know anything about it???Well that's it, off to OZ in a weeks time to hook up with some Vultures and Strutters and possibly buy

Comments

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Picked up a few more bits today when digging with Formigo, cheers again Murray for the lift home and the biscuits.

45's:

Melanie - Lay Down - Again from someones CD mix, great track
    Kris Kristofferson - I May Smoke too Much - Downtempo track.

LP's:

Homegrown - Vol 3 - Originally thought this was the third part of a series highlighting Hawaiian artists but this in fact is all local San Diego acts, some nice folky-funky-disco moments.

Overholt, Tate and Phillips - Direct to Disc - Some cool funky discoish covers on here, thanks for the heads up Murray.

John Rowles - Rowled Gold - Classic NZ Vinyl Vulture material, 3 or 4 funky vocal tracks.

Cold Blood - Thriller - Kissing my Love

California Smoker - Direct to Disc - Again funky in parts, discoish in places.

Nucleus - Out of the Long Dark - The UK's Placebo???? - Double

Doc Severinsen - Rhapsody for Now - Version of Soul Makossa.

Madeline - Who is She?? - Double - As comped on one of the Dusty Fingers LP's, great version of Who is She, and What is She to you?

Hadley Caliman - Projecting - Great firing latin jazz.

Brethren - Moment of Truth - Funky rock with breaks.